Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 07:10:37 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: U.S Lawyer making subversive grab for 'bitcoin' globally!  (Read 3113 times)
sadpandatech (OP)

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 09, 2011, 07:42:03 PM

Greetings Bitcoin Community,

The story I am linking here shows recent comments from this scandalous lawyer person and should raise some very serious concern amongst anyone who, as many of us do, care about their freedom and are strongly opposed to any entity that threatens it!

http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20110708/00564015004/lawyer-trying-to-trademark-bitcoin-explains-his-legal-theory.shtml

What started out as something that appeared to be just some random guy trying to register the trademark 'bitcoin' here in the U.S(Original BC Forum Thread; http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=26527.0) quickly became something very apparent to be much more sinister.  My primary reasoning for bringing this to the Italian community, beyond the obvious stated reasons is because in his feedback he gave publicy on TechDirt, he states, "So, is the term “Bitcoin” so notorious in Italy, for example, that when the average Italian on the street hears it, he/she immediately thinks of company zeta, and none other? Absolutely not. The same can be said for virtually every other country, including those with very large economies, such as China. In fact, it is virtually assured that no person or entity can claim that the term “Bitcoin” is identified with them in Italy."  The point of which he is trying to convey after stating that Italy is a 'First to File' country was to arrogantly tell us that he thinks he can't be stopped there.

Furthermore, he has made it very clear in his remarks that his intentions are to be able to have the legal backing to be able to harass legitimate users of 'bitcoin' with the sole intention of achieving some monetary or other real world gains surreptitiously in any manner that he can 'legally'(I use the term 'legally' very, very loosley here) get away with it.

I highly recommend that if you have any interests with 'bitcoin' in Italy(or any where else for that matter), be they business or otherwise that you keep close eye on this guy with your Trademark office. Sadly, I know nothing of how one would protest such things in Italy.  I can say that in the U.S while someone has newly filed it takes only going to the trademark office online and protesting such a frivolous claim and it cost nothing to do so. What I do know however is that it is much easier to combat such things before they have been snuck through.

One last note. While I highly encourage discussing this matter amongst the community I must stress that caution should be granted to what information we choose to convey publicly. Our lawyer person, while he may be a slimeball and not have a valid leg to stand on has shown that he is no stranger to using any and all things publicly presented in any manner that may benefit himself.

Thank you very much for your time reading this and for your support of a community, currency and ideal that has the potential to truely free us all! If you have any questions, especially with understanding anything in my poor translation please don't hesitate to contact me and I will do my best to clearify anything that is of question to you.

This orginal posting can be found in Italian here; http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=27410.0

If you're not excited by the idea of being an early adopter 'now', then you should come back in three or four years and either tell us "Told you it'd never work!" or join what should, by then, be a much more stable and easier-to-use system.
- GA

It is being worked on by smart people.  -DamienBlack

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, but full nodes are more resource-heavy, and they must do a lengthy initial syncing process. As a result, lightweight clients with somewhat less security are commonly used.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
error

Activity: 588

View Profile
July 09, 2011, 07:48:44 PM

I recommend everyone (not in the US) watch for this scumbag in your country's trademark office.

3KzNGwzRZ6SimWuFAgh4TnXzHpruHMZmV8
RandyMarsh

Activity: 237
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 09, 2011, 07:55:54 PM

ah he's being so openly devious, he cant possibly get away with anything this way

Stan?! STAN?!?!
niooron

Activity: 193

View Profile
July 09, 2011, 08:09:59 PM

Probably just a troll that registered with the guy's name.
w1R903

Activity: 218

View Profile
July 09, 2011, 08:33:45 PM

That's what I thought might be the case at first.  But when you look into this guy's past, it definitely fits his pattern of scheming and publicity seeking.  Look at his web site.  No, this is really Michael Pascazi.

4096R/F5EA0017
sadpandatech (OP)

Activity: 504

View Profile
July 09, 2011, 08:37:01 PM

sadly no, as it is in very tight fit to the statements he has made in direct reply to emails as well....

If you're not excited by the idea of being an early adopter 'now', then you should come back in three or four years and either tell us "Told you it'd never work!" or join what should, by then, be a much more stable and easier-to-use system.
- GA

It is being worked on by smart people.  -DamienBlack
airdata

Activity: 1148
Merit: 501

View Profile
July 09, 2011, 09:22:03 PM

guys... it's ok.

I just trademarked 'dirty sanchez'.  Now every time somebody talks about it or performs the act, they have to pay me royalties.

▄▄▄▄███████▄▄▄▄        ▄▄▄▄███████▄▄▄▄        ▄▄▄▄███████▄▄▄▄
▄▄█████████████████▄▄  ▄▄█████████████████▄▄  ▄▄█████████████████▄▄
▄█████████████████████▄▄█████████████████████▄▄█████████████████████▄
██████████▀▀  █████████████████▀      ▀████████████████▀      ▀████████
▄█████████     ████████████████   ▄██▄   ██████████████   ▄██▄   ███████▄
████████████   ███████████████████████   ████████████████████▀   ████████
████████████   █████████████████████▀   ▄██████████████████     █████████
████████████   ███████████████████▀   ▄██████████████████████▄   ████████
▀███████████   █████████████████▀   ▄██████████████████   ▀██▀   ███████▀
███████████   ████████████████          ███████████████▄      ▄████████
▀█████████████████████▀▀█████████████████████▀▀█████████████████████▀
▀▀█████████████████▀▀  ▀▀█████████████████▀▀  ▀▀█████████████████▀▀
▀▀▀▀███████▀▀▀▀        ▀▀▀▀███████▀▀▀▀        ▀▀▀▀███████▀▀▀▀
......swap...Swap, Earn, Bridge, Mint Crypto
& NFT in Multiple Chains
...MVP LIVE...
DaMan

Activity: 126

View Profile
July 10, 2011, 06:23:18 PM

In Europe the following company try to register the trademark 4 days ago. And because they are the first ones they will have a good chance because it seems that noone else have earlier rights? Or did the Bitcoin project owners register the trademark?

Name:   Tibanne Co. Ltd.
Nummer:   465698
Natürliche/juristische Person:   juristische Person
Anschrift:   Cerulean Tower 15F 26-1 Sakuragaoka-Cho
Postleitzahl:   150-8512
Stadt:   Shibuya Tokyo
Staat:    JAPAN
Korrespondenzanschrift:   Tibanne Co. Ltd.  Cerulean Tower 15F 26-1 Sakuragaoka-Cho Shibuya Tokyo 150-8512 JAPÓN
Telefon-Nummer:   00 81-345501529
Fax:   00 81-345883915

Regards.
randomguy7

Activity: 527

View Profile
July 10, 2011, 06:27:21 PM

This is mtgox, isn't it?

DaMan, do you have a link to the source of your data?
The_JMiner

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 10, 2011, 06:48:22 PM

This is mtgox, isn't it?

isnt mtgox located in japan?

hazek
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

View Profile
July 10, 2011, 06:49:44 PM

I didn't realize Bitcoin the software was bound to Bitcoin the word?  Roll Eyes

I say let him do what he wants and if he actually manages to get some rights and tries to enforce them, we just switch to a different word  Grin

My personality type: INTJ - please forgive my weaknesses (Not naturally in tune with others feelings; may be insensitive at times, tend to respond to conflict with logic and reason, tend to believe I'm always right)

If however you enjoyed my post: 15j781DjuJeVsZgYbDVt2NZsGrWKRWFHpp
proudhon
Legendary

Activity: 2198
Merit: 1311

View Profile
July 10, 2011, 06:53:22 PM

I didn't realize Bitcoin the software was bound to Bitcoin the word?  Roll Eyes

I say let him and if he actually manages to get some rights and tries to enforce them, we just switch to a different word  Grin

We should call them 'Pascazis'.

Bitcoin Fact: the price of bitcoin will not be greater than $70k for more than 25 consecutive days at any point in the rest of recorded human history.
imperi

Activity: 196
Merit: 101

View Profile
July 10, 2011, 06:54:53 PM

I didn't realize Bitcoin the software was bound to Bitcoin the word?  Roll Eyes

I say let him and if he actually manages to get some rights and tries to enforce them, we just switch to a different word  Grin

We should call them 'Pascazis'.

Makes perfect sense, he is the founder after all.  Cheesy
im3w1l

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 10, 2011, 06:57:17 PM

Anyone knows trademark generization is applicable in the EU?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genericized_trademark
Grant

Activity: 210

View Profile
July 10, 2011, 07:00:25 PM

Anyone knows trademark generization is applicable in the EU?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genericized_trademark

I believe it is, why ?
Meatpile

Activity: 277

View Profile
July 10, 2011, 07:10:35 PM

I assume this is some sort of stunt against the legal push to "first to file" patents?

Then again who cares, what is he going to do track down every single bitcoin transaction and demand a fee or something? Or can he just sue people who use the word bitcoin in store windows and on websites?
epi 1:10,000

Activity: 154

View Profile
July 10, 2011, 07:11:48 PM

This is mtgox, isn't it?

Yep thats MtGox.  If they secure the trademark and have a reasonable license, like Linux, then then they get so many browny points it erases there past foibles and then some.
DaMan

Activity: 126

View Profile
July 10, 2011, 07:14:19 PM
Last edit: July 10, 2011, 07:25:18 PM by DaMan

This is mtgox, isn't it?

It is, go here, and search for "Bitcoin", http://tmview.europa.eu/tmview/welcome.html it will result in 2 entires.

You have to look at the Nice Classes. Tibanne Co. registerd the correct classes 9, 35, 38 and 42 which are mostly used for internet, networks, etc...

But class 36 stands also for »banking, brokerage, capital investment ...«

So if Tibanne have stuff like this in their trademark business description, the owner of Bitcoin class 36 may file an objection.

Source: http://www.wipo.int/classifications/nivilo/nice/index.htm?lang=EN
epi 1:10,000

Activity: 154

View Profile
July 10, 2011, 07:25:47 PM

You have to look at the Nice Classes. Tibanne Co. registerd the correct classes 9, 35, 38 and 42 which are mostly used for internet, networks, etc...

But class 36 stands also for »banking, brokerage, capital investment ...«

Source: http://www.wipo.int/classifications/nivilo/nice/index.htm?lang=EN

So who is the person in Portugal that owns the trademark?Huh
Jered Kenna (TradeHill)

Activity: 420

View Profile WWW
July 10, 2011, 07:27:59 PM

It's been trademarked in Chile and it wasn't us.
I don't believe it's the same guy but hard to say, may just have a Chilean working for him.
-Jered

moneyandtech.com
@moneyandtech @jeredkenna
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: