Bitcoin Forum
May 27, 2024, 11:52:56 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: OCL 2 hit termal catoff limit, disabling BFGminer  (Read 2217 times)
boneee (OP)

Activity: 143
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 15, 2013, 01:17:18 PM

Hello i have a question,

i was mining with Guiminer, but had allot of problems with is.
So i switched to cgminer, but it crases on start, so went to bfgminer, and have it working.
I have 2 gpu's 1 Radeon 6990 and 1 Radeon 5750.
Ihave the Radeon 6990 working fine, but when i start the Radeon 5750 i get a massege within 4 minut saying: OCL 2 hit termal catoff limit, disabling

I made a shortcut with the following comments:
Radeon 6990:   C:\bfgminer\bfgminer.exe  --scrypt -u MYUSER -p MYPASS -o MYPOOL --gpu-platform 0 -d 0 -w 256 -v 1 -I 18 -g 1 -l 1 -T  --thread-concurrency 8000 
Radeon 6990:   C:\bfgminer\bfgminer.exe  --scrypt -u MYUSER -p MYPASS -o MYPOOL --gpu-platform 0 -d 1 -w 256 -v 1 -I 18 -g 1 -l 1 -T  --thread-concurrency 8000
Radeon 5750:   C:\bfgminer\bfgminer.exe  --scrypt -u MYUSER -p MYPASS -o MYPOOL --gpu-platform 0 -d 2 -w 256 -v 1 -I 18 -g 1 -l 1 -T  --thread-concurrency 3200

The reason i have 3 shortcuts is that i also use this computer for daily us, and if a run all 3 i have lag.
I dont no how to set a max temp of 95C.
So my question is, is there a way i can set a max temp of 95C in my shortcut, ore is there a other way i can do this, so i will still have 3 shortcuts.

Greest Boneee
Zanatos666

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

Sometimes man, just sometimes.....

View Profile
August 16, 2013, 03:39:48 PM

The issue I see with this is your are mining scrypt, which using higher memory clocks.  And from what I know, in either cgminer, or bfgminer, there is now way to throttle memclock.  You set it at one setting and go.  If you were mining regular sha256 you would be worried about your gpu engine which you could throttle.  You would then have your system throttle it between a range to hit a target temp (or try to).

Only thing I can tell you to do from reading below is increase your fan speeds:

--gpu-fan 90

This will make your fans spin at 90% of max speed (can go 100, but, will wear them out faster and burn out your fans).

Seems the best solution would be to get better airflow across those cards.

Squiggly letters, written really fast, with a couple of dots for good measure.
boneee (OP)

View Profile
August 17, 2013, 03:03:27 PM
Last edit: August 17, 2013, 04:19:35 PM by boneee

Thanks for the reply,

i took the cooler off and placed some new thermal compound from cooler master on it, also bod a cheap usb fan.
Now the card max out at 95C, witch is fine by me, so it mast have been the thermal compound and the air flow.

But i have one more question, my core clock keeps dropping from 900Mhz to 500Mhz all the time(from the 6990 card).
When i look in afterburner i see the clock jump up and down.
But when i look at the use of the gpu it is saying 100% use all the time.(without jumping up and down)
Is it normal that the core clock keeps jumping up and down ?

Greets Boneee
boneee (OP)

View Profile
August 18, 2013, 04:24:54 PM

Bump
Need help
minerapia

Activity: 168

View Profile
August 18, 2013, 08:35:44 PM

you could just use command prompt with: bgminer --help
 to get all the command line args there is.
also add --auto-gpu --auto-fan to actually allow bfgminer to control the cards.
also setting lower vgpu help with the temp if the card wont crash.

--temp-cutoff <arg> Temperature where a device will be automatically disabled, one value or comma separated list (default: 95)
--temp-hysteresis <arg> Set how much the temperature can fluctuate outside limits when automanaging speeds (default: 3)
--temp-overheat <arg> Overheat temperature when automatically managing fan and GPU speeds, one value or comma separated list (default: 85)
--temp-target <arg> Target temperature when automatically managing fan and clock speeds, one value or comma separated list

donations -> btc: 1M6yf45NskQxWXknkMTzQ8o6wShQcSY4EC
                   ltc: LeTpCd6cQL26Q1vjc9kJrTjjFMrPhrpv6j
boneee (OP)

View Profile
August 19, 2013, 03:12:40 PM

Thanks for the reply.

I now can mine with all 2 cards and the 3 cores.
But i still have a question about the cores.
They are jumping from max MHz880 to MHz500 ever second, any idea what is cosign this ?
When i look in afterburn i see that the cores are used 100% all the time.

Greets
Zanatos666

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

Sometimes man, just sometimes.....

View Profile
August 19, 2013, 04:24:48 PM

It could be because of the work.  Your GPU requests works, gets its, does the work, then submits it.  In that mean time between waiting for work to come in, you yours will sometimes throttle down to conserve power, cool off back to your target temp, etc.

Squiggly letters, written really fast, with a couple of dots for good measure.
boneee (OP)

View Profile
August 19, 2013, 05:36:11 PM

Thanks for the reply.

Then i no not to worry about that.

Greets
erre
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1205

View Profile
January 18, 2014, 12:10:42 AM

Thanks for the reply,

i took the cooler off and placed some new thermal compound from cooler master on it, also bod a cheap usb fan.
Now the card max out at 95C, witch is fine by me, so it mast have been the thermal compound and the air flow.

But i have one more question, my core clock keeps dropping from 900Mhz to 500Mhz all the time(from the 6990 card).
When i look in afterburner i see the clock jump up and down.
But when i look at the use of the gpu it is saying 100% use all the time.(without jumping up and down)
Is it normal that the core clock keeps jumping up and down ?

Greets Boneee

Hi,
Did you resolve this issue?
I have the same problem with my cards, i think it's something like a "power saving" thing because it comes after a few minutes and for now i was able to solve it by using amdoverridectrl (in xubuntu).
But can't get more than 650 kh/s from a 280x..

Roll a dice FOR FREE every hour, and win up to $200 in btc ---> CLICK HERE

Tip me using the LIGHTING NETWORK! -->https://tippin.me/@Erre96344121
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: