Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 10:14:16 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: 2-Factor Authentication  (Read 1660 times)
botija

Activity: 374
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 10, 2018, 05:35:11 AM

I prefer to use email code verification. I know that emails can get stolen, but I keep it pretty safe. But for exchanges, that's a different story. Aunthenticator is good there.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Once a transaction has 6 confirmations, it is extremely unlikely that an attacker without at least 50% of the network's computation power would be able to reverse it.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ucudara

Activity: 168
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 16, 2018, 10:37:37 AM

2-Step Verification provides stronger security for your Google Account by requiring a second step of verification when you sign in. In addition to your password, you’ll also need a code generated by the Google Authenticator app on your phone. This is a great feature to secure our accounts.
MrMac1000

Activity: 36

View Profile
June 16, 2018, 12:08:59 PM

I don;'t think there is any harm in using 2FA. Privacy is not really a concern for me when it comes to 2FA.
daviost

Activity: 196
Merit: 2

View Profile WWW
June 25, 2018, 03:16:03 AM

2FA is the second security before access your account. and it is critical. so that's why u must have a backup it too on paper or at your PC.
when you lost your 2FA, you can ask the exchanger/website support to help you recover it.
exchanger/website usually need you to give your real data so they can disable your 2FA security. it's for you own good.
but some exchanger/website took a long time to verify your data.
so before late, just backup your 2FA in somewhere else.
ucudara

Activity: 168

View Profile
June 28, 2018, 09:40:17 AM

In case you're not utilizing two-factor verification on each and every vital online record, particularly including your essential email account, you ought to most likely reexamine your security needs. Shockingly, the bother of some two-factor frameworks keep clients who "don't think I have anything to lose" far from the framework, making them undeniably powerless.

Google has truly outstanding and most secure two-factor frameworks accessible on any real item. Since a year ago, Google has urged clients to utilize "gadget prompts," which are a pop-up message sent to your current Android gadget, or the Google application on iOS. Starting today, be that as it may, gadget prompts have turned out to be significantly more helpful, as iOS clients just need the Gmail application introduced.
Criptomen

Activity: 770
Merit: 501

View Profile
July 02, 2018, 02:05:20 PM

I'm sure that people with resources, if they want, easily trace almost anyone and 2FA is just one thread that will lead them to the right person. But if you want to use 2FA safer then you can use another phone with other SIM card with another Google Account. But I doubt that this will help you to hide from people with "powers"
BhuwanPujari

Activity: 56

View Profile
July 04, 2018, 08:35:55 AM

Two-factor authentication provides many business benefits, including: Improved security: By requiring a second form of identification, SMS-2FA decreases the probability that an attacker can impersonate a user and gain access to computers, accounts or other sensitive resources.
clip123

Activity: 193
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 19, 2018, 01:29:50 AM

If you care about your privacy you shouldn't use any Google's product, no matter how good they are. It's how the company make its income, using your privacy.... Who knows if in 10 years we learn that in fact, it was another shady product
This is almost true for anything which isn't open source.

I have read Authy is far better than Google Authenticator.
I would recommend staying away from Authy, but if you are to use it then make sure to turn off multi device in the settings. This prevents recovery from other phones. If you ever want to transfer to another phone though this option will need to be enabled.

if you turn off multi device and lose your phone then you won't be able to recover. So keep that in mind.
monsanto
Legendary

Activity: 1241
Merit: 1005

..like bright metal on a sullen ground.

View Profile
July 19, 2018, 07:08:37 PM
Last edit: July 21, 2018, 09:48:42 PM by monsanto

If you care about your privacy you shouldn't use any Google's product, no matter how good they are. It's how the company make its income, using your privacy.... Who knows if in 10 years we learn that in fact, it was another shady product
This is almost true for anything which isn't open source.

I have read Authy is far better than Google Authenticator.
I would recommend staying away from Authy, but if you are to use it then make sure to turn off multi device in the settings. This prevents recovery from other phones. If you ever want to transfer to another phone though this option will need to be enabled.

if you turn off multi device and lose your phone then you won't be able to recover. So keep that in mind.

I believe with Authy you can still recover password protected backed up 2FA codes, but I think there is a 24 hour waiting period during which they review your request.

What nobody ever really talks about is what happens when you lose your phone. I read that you can transfer it to a new phone, but if you lose it, you can't transfer it. That's really what has me paranoid. I think I might have to invest in a new phone, and keep my current one locked in a safe, and see if I can flash it, for in case something happens to it I can reinstall it to another phone.

You have a couple options. You could use Authy as mentioned above, or use a back up phone with google Authenticator, or use what I think probably is the best option: write down the secret 2FA seed on a piece of paper when you add it to your phone, and keep that list offline. Most sites will provide the seed along with a QR code of the seed when setting up 2FA. If you already have a site's 2FA setup on your phone, you can remove 2FA on that site and then add it again, this time physically writing the seed down at the same time you scan the QR code with Authenticator.
ioizisupport

Activity: 59

View Profile
July 20, 2018, 01:15:19 PM

Google 2FA work offilne with local data. You loss phone or fail device, you loss. Use Titanium backup to avoid data loss
easemypain

Activity: 448

View Profile WWW
July 21, 2018, 09:14:12 AM

In using 2-factor authentication 100% privacy is highly guaranteed. instead of  instant access to the site after the use of username and password as first step authentication, a code is then received as a second step of verification. This code usually comes as a text, a voice or through an authy app on smartphone. Created specially for that account and at the time needed. So which makes it very safe and secure to use.

cabalism13
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1165

🤩Finally Married🤩

View Profile
July 23, 2018, 11:50:02 PM
Last edit: July 24, 2018, 12:50:06 AM by cabalism13

Google 2FA work offilne with local data. You loss phone or fail device, you loss. Use Titanium backup to avoid data loss

Is it 100% safe? What's the feature of that TITANIUM?
I'm having some trouble regarding that OTP on a certain platform but I guess it's just their system at fault not the Google Auth.
vapourminer
Legendary

Activity: 4326
Merit: 3519

what is this "brake pedal" you speak of?

View Profile
July 24, 2018, 12:36:35 PM

when i restored a backup of my old dead note 4 to my replacement note 4, google auth didnt transfer although everything else did. i had to re input the google auth codes from paper backups.

it wasnt titanium backup though, i used samsungs backup software. i assume titanium needs a rooted phone? (mine isnt rooted).
redtag070

Activity: 128

View Profile
July 24, 2018, 01:13:31 PM

I am not worried about the security itself of 2-Factor Authentication.

Rather, what I fear is that,
· Loss of smartphone
· Smartphone model exchange
It is two.

Especially to take a backup, keep it safe. Even though I am doing this, I'm worried about whether it's really okay.
vapourminer
Legendary

Activity: 4326
Merit: 3519

what is this "brake pedal" you speak of?

View Profile
July 24, 2018, 02:52:20 PM
Last edit: July 24, 2018, 03:10:02 PM by vapourminer
Merited by paxmao (1)

I am not worried about the security itself of 2-Factor Authentication.

Rather, what I fear is that,
· Loss of smartphone
· Smartphone model exchange
It is two.

Especially to take a backup, keep it safe. Even though I am doing this, I'm worried about whether it's really okay.

if you mean just a phone backup, it may not be enough, see my post above.

write down the code that google auth initially gives you for the site. keep copies secure. then no worries about the phone dying.

and if phone is lost you can use the stored codes on a new phone (or computer/whatever) and reset them, rendering the codes on the old phone useless.
ompoetra

Activity: 154
Merit: 1

View Profile
July 26, 2018, 03:10:22 AM

The function of Two Factor Authentication or 2FA, is to provide double security against the account of the users of social networking. Some social media services already implement this way to provide a sense of security to its users, such as Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat and Twitter.
Other online based services apparently also do not want to miss, Google, Amazon, Microsoft, DropBox, WhatsApp, and Paypal also apply Two Factor Authentication. It aims to provide data security from the account owner of those services.
Lately, smartphone users are increasing in number, and the activity they do with smartphones is also the longer the duration. This shows that the smartphone has become an important item for modern society, and of course private
sergiokkl

Activity: 258

View Profile WWW
July 27, 2018, 12:55:51 PM

I guess no, Google aunthenticator have one use and it's security of our personal Google account. Work to avoid any attack from hackers. In case to know the password the account will still safe and can't change pass no matter what. Just keep the code to not access by anyone the Google authentic codes
DefDope66

Activity: 38

View Profile
July 27, 2018, 06:10:28 PM

If there is an alternative to a Google product, that's the route I'll take every time. Google does not respect your privacy and they have a strong bias against crypto.
daviost

Activity: 196

View Profile WWW
July 28, 2018, 07:00:19 AM

I always double save the 2-FA authentication.

cause it's hard to restore it again if your smartphone is broken or stolen by others.

so my suggestion is you must save it 2 times. by paper and on your smartphone. cause it doesn't have a backup feature right now.

acetouryahey

Activity: 213

View Profile
July 31, 2018, 06:49:15 AM

I think no, but as long you didn't give the 16 digit code to anyone they can have another authentication. Keep it on the right place that you only knows because if your device is destroyed or gone you can have another authentication to open you account.
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: