Bitcoin Forum
June 23, 2024, 10:16:46 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Colocation with low power costs?  (Read 1663 times)
mberg2007 (OP)

Activity: 117
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 15, 2013, 07:15:16 PM

Hi,

Although GPU mining is very quickly becoming a fond memory as far as bitcoin is concerned, there are still some potential in scrypt based mining I think.

Problem is power cost. So far I've only been able to find colocation type hosting that juuuust about breaks even or makes a profit, but only by a hair's width. And as soon as the network difficulty goes up, what little profit may be realized is likely to go out the window.

So the question is, does anyone know of some way to get your own server hosted in a place where power is cheap or even free? I'm thinking Russia, China and places like that. To hell with reliability and security, power is key to making this work.

Someone must have figured this out. Otherwise what are all the GPU miners doing with their hardware these days?

-Michael
samfisher

Activity: 60

View Profile
August 16, 2013, 01:50:05 AM

Ebaying them or on altcoins.  Or setting up cyber cafes.

*Link Removed*
berenod

Activity: 9
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 16, 2013, 08:39:21 AM

Guess it depends on where you are.

In Europe, where electricity seems to be costing around 0.3 US$/KWh, you indeed will not break even doing GPU mining on LTC.

But it seems like most of the US cost seems to be anywhere between 0.09 and 0.13 US$/KWh, depending on which state you are in.

Same where I am, in Thailand, between 0.1 and 0.13 US$/KWh depending on what type of meter you have installed.

So, as an example, at today's difficulty and price of LTC's, a rig with 2 7950's, conservatively clocked, will eat maybe a tad over 600 watts at the wall plug.
It'll likely hash away at around 1200 KHash/sec.

So, forgetting for a second the investment you have to make, this works out to the following:

US at 0.09 US$/KWh  ---- 3.45 US$/day worth of LTC   -1.3$ power  = 2.15$ nett/day
US/Thailand at 0.13$/KWh   --- 3.45$ US$/day worth of LTC   -1.87$ power   = 1.58$ nett/day
Europe at 0.3$/KWh  --- 3.45$ US$/day worth of LTC   -4.32$ power   =-0.87$ nett/day
superresistant
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1130

View Profile
August 16, 2013, 09:16:45 AM

I'm renting a flat where all bills are included. That's my solution.
The only problem is that the place is quite small so during summer it was getting too hot (that's why I stopped for few weeks).
I asked to get a bigger flat so I can put more mining-rigs. Or maybe I should stop mining myself and just invest in mining-companies or hosted hardware...
mberg2007 (OP)

Activity: 117

View Profile
August 16, 2013, 10:29:49 AM

I'm renting a flat where all bills are included. That's my solution.
The only problem is that the place is quite small so during summer it was getting too hot (that's why I stopped for few weeks).
I asked to get a bigger flat so I can put more mining-rigs. Or maybe I should stop mining myself and just invest in mining-companies or hosted hardware...

In my experience hosting is not an option. Besides cost there are profit margins to be paid and it all adds up to negative profit for you.

-Michael

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: