Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 02:27:11 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: GAE Miner  (Read 6951 times)
j16sdiz (OP)

Activity: 37
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 11, 2011, 11:31:04 AM

Hi all,

Here is the GoogleAppEngine/Java Miner as promised.

Project URL: https://github.com/j16sdiz/gaeminer

Background Infomation
Google App Engine is Google's computing platform, it provide 6.5 free "cpu hour" (which is, only 3 real hours) per application. Each user can create up to 10 applications for. That is .... around 50G hashes per day per mobile phone number. I have checked the TOS twice, and do not think this violate the TOS. If you have any concern, please don't use it and ask.

Installation Steps
Due to how Google App Engine works, you need the SDK to install it. Here are the steps:

Alternative Installation Step
If you really hate eclipse, there is an ant build.xml provided. But you are on your own.

--
If you love this application, consider donating to: 1JQ4o2onaJnCpKYZnJzHUok9E1GZewon27

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
davout
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1007

1davout

View Profile WWW
January 11, 2011, 11:38:24 AM

Thank you!

But that's like 83.3 seconds worth of mining on a HD5970

j16sdiz (OP)

View Profile
January 11, 2011, 11:41:51 AM

Thank you!

But that's like 83.3 seconds worth of mining on a HD5970

I am just a poor CPU Miner Sad
Cdecker

Activity: 489
Merit: 504

View Profile WWW
January 11, 2011, 01:16:49 PM

Still cool though Cheesy I love this kind of crazy things Cheesy

Want to see what developers are chatting about? http://bitcoinstats.com/irc/bitcoin-dev/logs/
Bitcoin-OTC Rating
slush
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1097

View Profile WWW
January 11, 2011, 01:47:37 PM

Hey, crunching whole nonce space is useless. With your hash/s, you are crunching old blocks for 10% of time.

Edit: Sorry, I see your config has final nonce only 0xffff. Still, I see in logs you are working on one job more than 50 seconds, so you waste ~10% of time for crunching old jobs.

gigitrix

Activity: 630
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 11, 2011, 05:16:30 PM

I'm only a newbie, but wouldn't task queues be a better (and more parralel) implementation than cron jobs?
j16sdiz (OP)

View Profile
January 12, 2011, 12:12:26 AM

Hey, crunching whole nonce space is useless. With your hash/s, you are crunching old blocks for 10% of time.

Edit: Sorry, I see your config has final nonce only 0xffff. Still, I see in logs you are working on one job more than 50 seconds, so you waste ~10% of time for crunching old jobs.

No, it should not work on the same hash for more then 6 seconds.
It would adjust the final nonce.  

See Line 87
https://github.com/j16sdiz/gaeminer/blob/master/src/net/sdiz/bitcoin/MiningServlet.java#L87

And Line 39
https://github.com/j16sdiz/gaeminer/blob/master/src/net/sdiz/bitcoin/jdo/Config.java#L39
j16sdiz (OP)

View Profile
January 12, 2011, 12:20:24 AM

I'm only a newbie, but wouldn't task queues be a better (and more parralel) implementation than cron jobs?

I have considered using queue, but it have some disadvantages:

- Old (outdated) hashes -- If we put the hash into the queue, we may work on a old, outdated hash. There is no way to check the queue size in java (afaik), so we would be always working on outdated hashes.

- Too parallel -- Heavy load on Google's server.  We have only ~3 hours per day, parallelism don't have any advantages. It's better to distribute it over the whole day.
Anonymous

January 12, 2011, 12:41:04 AM

Is this the gae agenda nanaimo gold was talking about?

Grin
Gavin Andresen
Legendary
qt

Activity: 1652
Merit: 2216

Chief Scientist

View Profile WWW
January 12, 2011, 01:22:14 AM

Should we start a betting pool to see how long it takes Google to decide bitcoin mining should be against its terms of service?

I think.... three months.

How often do you get the chance to work on a potentially world-changing project?
gigitrix

Activity: 630
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 12, 2011, 01:56:55 AM

I have considered using queue, but it have some disadvantages:

- Old (outdated) hashes -- If we put the hash into the queue, we may work on a old, outdated hash. There is no way to check the queue size in java (afaik), so we would be always working on outdated hashes.

- Too parallel -- Heavy load on Google's server.  We have only ~3 hours per day, parallelism don't have any advantages. It's better to distribute it over the whole day.

Thanks for explaining this. I have zero experience with GAE but I got this thing running. Hope google don't pull a switcheroo on the TOS any time soon, and my readthrough confirms that this is legal (if sketchy) according to their rules.
j16sdiz (OP)

View Profile
January 12, 2011, 03:10:54 AM

Should we start a betting pool to see how long it takes Google to decide bitcoin mining should be against its terms of service?

I can see nothing in the TOS against this. Except, perhaps, in the "Program Policies":

In addition to (and/or as some examples of) the violations described in the Terms, you may not and may not allow any third party, including your end users, to:
   j. Interfere with other users' enjoyment of the Service;

But I have tried to minimize the effect of this. (for example, using cron job instead of queue, distributing the task over whole day, don't retry on server error, etc)
Local

Activity: 109
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 12, 2011, 07:03:18 AM

I doubt it. Either it won't be a problem because it won't be profitable or it will be profitable and they'll do it themselves until it isn't and/or raise their rates.
Mike Hearn
Legendary
expert

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1129

View Profile
January 12, 2011, 02:14:37 PM

I should note at this point that I work for Google in one of the anti-abuse departments and I'm watching this thread carefully Wink

I can't give you an authoritative answer on what violates the AppEngine ToS as that isn't my job. But consider the following passage from the terms:

4.4. You may not develop multiple Applications to simulate or act as a single Application or otherwise access the Service in a manner intended to avoid incurring fees.

We take a dim view of people who create attempt to work around the limits we put in place via multiple accounts or otherwise. The phone verification is specifically intended to make that hard. But you probably won't be able to earn interesting quantities of BitCoin unless you do attempt to repeatedly create the same app over and over again.

So I don't think BitCoin mining on App Engine has a future. Nice idea though and I'd love to see people write AppEngine apps for other BitCoin related purposes (Gavin has done a great job with some of his apps). For mining your best bet is ATI rather than Google, sorry.

/mike
j16sdiz (OP)

View Profile
January 12, 2011, 03:24:36 PM

(...removed something I won't Comment on...)

But you probably won't be able to earn interesting quantities of BitCoin unless you do attempt to repeatedly create the same app over and over again.

So I don't think BitCoin mining on App Engine has a future. Nice idea though and I'd love to see people write AppEngine apps for other BitCoin related purposes (Gavin has done a great job with some of his apps). For mining your best bet is ATI rather than Google, sorry.

/mike

As davout have mentioned, all 10 application x 6.5 free "CPU" hour is just ~80 second on ATI.
Even when compared to CPU miner, each CPU gives only ~133khash/CPU-Second (around 450khash/wall-second). It is on the lower-end of the spectrum.

So, this application is more like a PoC than anything else.
Anonymous

January 12, 2011, 11:51:50 PM

I should note at this point that I work for Google in one of the anti-abuse departments and I'm watching this thread carefully Wink

I can't give you an authoritative answer on what violates the AppEngine ToS as that isn't my job. But consider the following passage from the terms:

4.4. You may not develop multiple Applications to simulate or act as a single Application or otherwise access the Service in a manner intended to avoid incurring fees.

We take a dim view of people who create attempt to work around the limits we put in place via multiple accounts or otherwise. The phone verification is specifically intended to make that hard. But you probably won't be able to earn interesting quantities of BitCoin unless you do attempt to repeatedly create the same app over and over again.

/mike

Google should support open source projects then imho  Smiley

Cdecker

Activity: 489
Merit: 504

View Profile WWW
January 13, 2011, 01:31:21 AM

I think it's a quiet innocent hack, and an interesting one if it comes to that. I'd have never thought using a cloud designed to deliver web content to do real calculations Cheesy
But I'd neve risk my Google account over it ^^

Want to see what developers are chatting about? http://bitcoinstats.com/irc/bitcoin-dev/logs/
Bitcoin-OTC Rating
LZ
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1072

P2P Cryptocurrency

View Profile
January 14, 2011, 03:09:55 PM
Last edit: January 14, 2011, 06:50:31 PM by lzsaver

Just checked pool status. I got some shares today. So GAE Miner works.

My OpenPGP fingerprint: 5099EB8C0F2E68C63B4ECBB9A9D0993E04143362
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: