Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 08:08:23 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: need to simulate a windows system hard error  (Read 1620 times)
Yogafan00000 (OP)

Activity: 314
Merit: 251

View Profile
August 15, 2013, 08:39:56 PM

I'm looking for utility that will generate a windows system hard error in windows XP 32-bit.
(I also can develop in VB6 if anyone knows of a technique to generate the error.)

It needs to be a reproducible effect that generates the message "xxxx.exe has encountered an error and needs to close".

I'm trying to monitor mining processes that seems to crash every few days or so, and I want to detect when the process terminates so I can automate their restart.

The problem is the process doesn't terminate until I click "Don't send error report" so the monitoring software doesn't see the process as failed.

I found a regfix to disable the errors, but I can't test it properly without being able to simulate the error in the first place.

Thanks

1YogAFA... (oh, nevermind)

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, but full nodes are more resource-heavy, and they must do a lengthy initial syncing process. As a result, lightweight clients with somewhat less security are commonly used.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Yogafan00000 (OP)

View Profile
August 16, 2013, 12:59:55 PM

I'm looking for utility that will generate a windows system hard error in windows XP 32-bit.
(I also can develop in VB6 if anyone knows of a technique to generate the error.)

It needs to be a reproducible effect that generates the message "xxxx.exe has encountered an error and needs to close".

I'm trying to monitor mining processes that seems to crash every few days or so, and I want to detect when the process terminates so I can automate their restart.

The problem is the process doesn't terminate until I click "Don't send error report" so the monitoring software doesn't see the process as failed.

I found a regfix to disable the errors, but I can't test it properly without being able to simulate the error in the first place.

Thanks
I'm not sure about VB syntax, but in C

char * p = 0;
*p = 1;

will give you C5 exception.

To close Windows Error Reporting (WER) window pragmatically, you need to search for werfault.exe process, look at the parent process to make sure it belongs to the process you are trying to monitor and kill it.  For examples, look at my akbash watchdog code:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=76208.0

Messing up a pointer. That did it! Thanks for the tip.  I have it crashing nicely in vb6.

I will check out your software when I have some time.  It looks interesting.

Yogafan00000 (OP)

View Profile
August 16, 2013, 01:27:07 PM

So I tested my regfix with my new crashing software.  My regfix doesn't affect the way "xxx has encountered an error and needs to close" works at all.

I did some more searching and the correct settings are found under gpedit.msc, computer configuration, administrative templates, system, error reporting, display error notification, set to disabled.

This tested is for windows XP SP3 only.

This will cause the process for a crashed app to terminate so you can automate a restart instead of sitting there waiting for a user to click "don't send"

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: