Bitcoin Forum
June 27, 2024, 08:55:59 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What happend if total capital market of cryptocurrency reach $ 1T  (Read 193 times)
heppot (OP)

Activity: 616
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 13, 2018, 04:21:26 PM

at the moment...
Cryptocurrencies: 1426 / Markets: 7908
Market Cap: $751.147.896.740 / 24h Vol: $37.250.473.688 / BTC Dominance: 32.5%
What your opinion?
BrewMaster
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1292

There is trouble abrewing

View Profile
January 13, 2018, 04:30:37 PM

nothing will happen.

but hopefully as this magical number grows too big more people understand how fake it is. specially when someone creates 100 billion tokens out of thin air and that adds 100 billion dollar to total market cap if it is worth only $1 per useless token.

There is a FOMO brewing...
MangoFish

Activity: 19
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 13, 2018, 04:36:32 PM

Once it reaches $1T there will be a huge correction, the market is hugely based on psychological Biases. Nothing fundamentally would change.
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
January 13, 2018, 04:51:20 PM

Oh god, you have to keep explaining the same fucking thing here over and over again.

Market capitalization is a useless metric for measuring the value of a commodity or currency. Market cap is also incorrectly used to tell what a company is really worth. The market cap formula is simply this: The amount of dollars per share of a company x the total number of shares of that company. Market capitalization is about the price of a company. It only tells other companies what they are likely to need to pay to gobble up another company. The economic pigmies that set up these bitcoin price sites years ago started using market cap like they are describing the value of a company because they’re dumbasses. All the “follow the leader” dumbasses copied what they were doing on other sites so it spread. Bitcoin has a fixed number of “shares” so all market cap is telling you is the current price of bitcoin. The number of “shares” will increase slightly until all 21m are mined and then it will be fixed forever. It would be more useful to discuss the effect of monarch butterflies landing on superheated bitcoin mining equipment as it relates to increasing the user base of bitcoin.

cosmoo

Activity: 729
Merit: 502

View Profile
January 13, 2018, 05:03:53 PM

at the moment...
What your opinion?
What will happen? Nothing, it's just the next step. Nothing surprising will happen. And dominance of BTC will not fall under 20% i guess.
dankJ

Activity: 16

View Profile
January 13, 2018, 05:09:16 PM

then it would still only be 1 / 10th .... 10% of the s&p500 market cap of roughly 10 T

long term growth potential is huge...assuming crypto's are here to stay and will only become more and more a part of everyday life.

Blockchain technology is certainly here to stay and is all connected with AI, the Internet of Things, the automation of aspects of daily life, etc.... (which is probably why ETH is testing new ATHs while other crypto's still consolidating)

1T market cap for crypto market is nothing, long term imo
D D zee

Activity: 3

View Profile
January 13, 2018, 05:20:57 PM

Oh god, you have to keep explaining the same fucking thing here over and over again.

Market capitalization is a useless metric for measuring the value of a commodity or currency. Market cap is also incorrectly used to tell what a company is really worth. The market cap formula is simply this: The amount of dollars per share of a company x the total number of shares of that company. Market capitalization is about the price of a company. It only tells other companies what they are likely to need to pay to gobble up another company. The economic pigmies that set up these bitcoin price sites years ago started using market cap like they are describing the value of a company because they’re dumbasses. All the “follow the leader” dumbasses copied what they were doing on other sites so it spread. Bitcoin has a fixed number of “shares” so all market cap is telling you is the current price of bitcoin. The number of “shares” will increase slightly until all 21m are mined and then it will be fixed forever. It would be more useful to discuss the effect of monarch butterflies landing on superheated bitcoin mining equipment as it relates to increasing the user base of bitcoin.

might be because I'm newbie, but I don't quite understand your point. what's wrong with the use of market cap? how would you calculate the total worth of the market? coin price alone means nothing cause there can be 1 coin or 1 bil coins. coin supply alone doesn't say anything either without knowing it's price. but if you multiply the coin supply with the current coin price you get how much money the market is worth in current prices.
dothebeats
Legendary

Activity: 3696
Merit: 1353

View Profile
January 13, 2018, 05:23:58 PM

Nothing, just another psychological barrier breached by crypto which is deemed impossible by traditional investors years ago, but what would be interesting is how would the plethora of investors see this or turn this into their favor. There can be a positive outcome for such an event, knowing that people are attracted with glitz and glam, and most importantly, bigger valued things. The cryptocurrency market might be the new playground of institutional investors if the psychological $1-T market capitalization is reached. More eyes on the prize, of course.
Xenrise

Activity: 672
Merit: 251

View Profile
January 13, 2018, 05:29:29 PM

at the moment...
What your opinion?
My opinion in this one is that nothing will happen in that situation. Market Capitalization is just the measurement of how much is circulating in blockchain.

For the record, it will not improve anything, it will not alter anything. It just a measurement. Don't push it.
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

View Profile
January 13, 2018, 05:32:03 PM

might be because I'm newbie, but I don't quite understand your point. what's wrong with the use of market cap? how would you calculate the total worth of the market? coin price alone means nothing cause there can be 1 coin or 1 bil coins. coin supply alone doesn't say anything either without knowing it's price. but if you multiply the coin supply with the current coin price you get how much money the market is worth in current prices.

Ok, I’ll give you that. How would you know if don’t understand what a market cap is.

Market cap is used to set investor expectations and shape investment strategy. There is no official barrier for different categories of stocks based on size, but large caps are often companies with market caps over $10 billion, mid cap is $2 billion to $10 billion and small cap refers to companies under $2 billion. Different types of investment strategies focus on the various market cap groups, and different valuation methods are applied depending on company size. Very large market caps are usually associated with mature, low-growth companies that pay dividends. Small caps are often growth companies with higher-risk profiles and generally do not pay dividends.

For bitcoin market cap tells you nothing about maturity, nothing about potential growth, nothing about user base, nothing about true value, nothing about whether it’s a good investment or not, nothing about size. It only tells you what bitcoin is priced at based on the current number of coins in circulation. So essentially it’s the same thing as looking up the price except to find out the current price using market cap you need to divide out the cap and total coins to find out the price. Why don’t you just look at the price first without doing all that work?

skorupi17

Activity: 490
Merit: 256

View Profile
January 13, 2018, 07:02:57 PM

at the moment...
What your opinion?

At first, some random newbie (not in forum rank but in cryptocurrency) will shout like hell in this forum that "Hey everybody, Bitcoin's marketcap reaches $1T! blah blah blah" Then later on no one cares. The marketcap is just a number. Nothing's so special about that. It does not even justify anything significantly.

nothing will happen.

but hopefully as this magical number grows too big more people understand how fake it is. specially when someone creates 100 billion tokens out of thin air and that adds 100 billion dollar to total market cap if it is worth only $1 per useless token.

I hope so too. They care so much about the marketcap even though it's just mere numbers.
dankJ

View Profile
January 14, 2018, 05:19:56 PM

Ok, I’ll give you that. How would you know if don’t understand what a market cap is.

Market cap is used to set investor expectations and shape investment strategy. There is no official barrier for different categories of stocks based on size, but large caps are often companies with market caps over $10 billion, mid cap is $2 billion to $10 billion and small cap refers to companies under $2 billion. Different types of investment strategies focus on the various market cap groups, and different valuation methods are applied depending on company size. Very large market caps are usually associated with mature, low-growth companies that pay dividends. Small caps are often growth companies with higher-risk profiles and generally do not pay dividends.

For bitcoin market cap tells you nothing about maturity, nothing about potential growth, nothing about user base, nothing about true value, nothing about whether it’s a good investment or not, nothing about size. It only tells you what bitcoin is priced at based on the current number of coins in circulation. So essentially it’s the same thing as looking up the price except to find out the current price using market cap you need to divide out the cap and total coins to find out the price. Why don’t you just look at the price first without doing all that work?

"It only tells you what bitcoin is priced at based on the current number of coins in circulation."   .....  that EXACTLY the same information that market cap of any stock would tell you.

Its the same information conveying the same thing.  Its simply used as a comparison tool to compare different asset classes and gives a rough 'value' of said stock/coin/indice/etc.  If i have 100 of something and each one is worth 5 bucks... then my 'market cap' is 500 ..... stop over complicating this.  its a rough comparison tool.  S&P500 market cap is 10T ...crypto's 700B ...ok that tells me the crypto market is about 7% the size of the s&p in terms of 'wealth'.   (and i only use that comparison for analogy sake ...not commenting on the crypto or s&p for the sake of this post Smiley )
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

View Profile
January 14, 2018, 05:57:35 PM

"It only tells you what bitcoin is priced at based on the current number of coins in circulation."   .....  that EXACTLY the same information that market cap of any stock would tell you.

Its the same information conveying the same thing.  Its simply used as a comparison tool to compare different asset classes and gives a rough 'value' of said stock/coin/indice/etc.  If i have 100 of something and each one is worth 5 bucks... then my 'market cap' is 500 ..... stop over complicating this.  its a rough comparison tool.  S&P500 market cap is 10T ...crypto's 700B ...ok that tells me the crypto market is about 7% the size of the s&p in terms of 'wealth'.   (and i only use that comparison for analogy sake ...not commenting on the crypto or s&p for the sake of this post Smiley )

Right! That’s why you don’t use market cap as a metric for stocks, commodities or currency. It’s only valuable for showing the size of a company and it’s dividend class. It tells you nothing useful about stocks, just like it tells you nothing useful about bitcoin. Comparing the s&p to bitcoin is like comparing starships to automobiles. Sure they are both for transportation but that’s where it ends.

dankJ

View Profile
January 14, 2018, 06:07:40 PM

Its the same information conveying the same thing.  Its simply used as a comparison tool to compare different asset classes and gives a rough 'value' of said stock/coin/indice/etc.  If i have 100 of something and each one is worth 5 bucks... then my 'market cap' is 500 ..... stop over complicating this.  its a rough comparison tool.  S&P500 market cap is 10T ...crypto's 700B ...ok that tells me the crypto market is about 7% the size of the s&p in terms of 'wealth'.   (and i only use that comparison for analogy sake ...not commenting on the crypto or s&p for the sake of this post Smiley )

Right! That’s why you don’t use market cap as a metric for stocks, commodities or currency. It’s only valuable for showing the size of a company and it’s dividend class. It tells you nothing useful about stocks, just like it tells you nothing useful about bitcoin. Comparing the s&p to bitcoin is like comparing starships to automobiles. Sure they are both for transportation but that’s where it ends.

I dont know..i feel it has SOME value.  I see it as a kind of starting point?  A very broad base from which to grow an opinion from?  and using your analogy starships and automobiles...  (going VERY hypothetical here, lol...) lets say the market cap of starships is 200B and autos  2 T .... starships' rough estimate of value is 10 % of the autos.  But maybe i think starships could be as big as autos...or half as big.  Using that broad opinion...i can look at market cap and see its at 10% the 'value' of autos...i think it should be 50% eventually...  so, by using the market caps of the 2...i see perceived value in starships.  Now, i certainly wouldnt make any investing decisions based solely on market caps of anything...but again...i see it as a jumping off point in certain situations.

I can use it now in my research on ETH...i think versus BTC it has more potential and room for growth...so i could look at the market caps of the 2, compare them, and get a very rough estimate of ETH value vs' BTC...then go from there.

and to give my opinion on the original question...nothing.  the same that happened when dow hit 25k.  news outlets talk about it for a few news cycles, then it becomes 'old news' and back to business as usual.  maybe get some dumb money chasing the rockets....

QuestionAuthority
Legendary

View Profile
January 14, 2018, 06:23:54 PM

I dont know..i feel it has SOME value.  I see it as a kind of starting point?  A very broad base from which to grow an opinion from?  and using your analogy starships and automobiles...  (going VERY hypothetical here, lol...) lets say the market cap of starships is 200B and autos  2 T .... starships' rough estimate of value is 10 % of the autos.  But maybe i think starships could be as big as autos...or half as big.  Using that broad opinion...i can look at market cap and see its at 10% the 'value' of autos...i think it should be 50% eventually...  so, by using the market caps of the 2...i see perceived value in starships.  Now, i certainly wouldnt make any investing decisions based solely on market caps of anything...but again...i see it as a jumping off point in certain situations.

I can use it now in my research on ETH...i think versus BTC it has more potential and room for growth...so i could look at the market caps of the 2, compare them, and get a very rough estimate of ETH value vs' BTC...then go from there.

That’s a good one, let’s use ETH vs BTC. Can all of the people owning and using ETH also own BTC? Of course, so it’s usless to compare their market cap looking for growth potential because it could be the same people. It is possible that Bitcoin lovers hate Ethereum so none of them will ever use ether. So comparing market cap tells you nothing about growth potential because you will never steal bitcoin users over to Ethereum. Bitcoin is a currency or a commodity and Ethereum is a vehicle for smart contracts. They aren’t even used for the same thing. You can’t compare the market cap and find out anything useful about potential growth because that would be like comparing the pharmaceutical industry to banana plantations. Just because the market cap of the pharmaceutical industry is more than banana plantations does not mean there is any room for growth in banana sales. Do you see what I mean?

Yakamoto
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1007

View Profile
January 14, 2018, 06:30:49 PM

<snip>

and to give my opinion on the original question...nothing.  the same that happened when dow hit 25k.  news outlets talk about it for a few news cycles, then it becomes 'old news' and back to business as usual.  maybe get some dumb money chasing the rockets....
Dude what

The market cap is a total sum of the price of an asset times the number of unique asset pieces that exist. It's not some metric for comparing how valuable some cryptos are versus others and trying to use some kind of ratio for it. The DOW is something completely different and is a giant mass of the values of every asset (or 1x of every unique asset) included within it being added together and displayed as the DOW Jones' value, not a market cap.

Let me explain market caps like this: if I have a crypto with 100 tokens, each at $1, and a crypto with 1 token, at $100, one of them is valued at a market cap of $100 and the other at $100 as well. Under your thinking, they are the same and they both have the same potential for growth. But the token with 100 pieces at $1/piece has a much higher chance of growing, and with larger percentage gains, than the token at $100. This shouldn't be that hard.
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

View Profile
January 14, 2018, 06:38:04 PM

<snip>

and to give my opinion on the original question...nothing.  the same that happened when dow hit 25k.  news outlets talk about it for a few news cycles, then it becomes 'old news' and back to business as usual.  maybe get some dumb money chasing the rockets....
Dude what

The market cap is a total sum of the price of an asset times the number of unique asset pieces that exist. It's not some metric for comparing how valuable some cryptos are versus others and trying to use some kind of ratio for it. The DOW is something completely different and is a giant mass of the values of every asset (or 1x of every unique asset) included within it being added together and displayed as the DOW Jones' value, not a market cap.

Let me explain market caps like this: if I have a crypto with 100 tokens, each at $1, and a crypto with 1 token, at $100, one of them is valued at a market cap of $100 and the other at $100 as well. Under your thinking, they are the same and they both have the same potential for growth. But the token with 100 pieces at $1/piece has a much higher chance of growing, and with larger percentage gains, than the token at $100. This shouldn't be that hard.

Thank god! Someone with a brain that can take over. I’m leaving this thread. It’s making my head hurt.

dankJ

View Profile
January 14, 2018, 06:44:20 PM
Last edit: January 14, 2018, 07:02:13 PM by dankJ

The market cap is a total sum of the price of an asset times the number of unique asset pieces that exist.

[/quote]

which is exactly the same analogy i used with my having 5 of something worth 100 each.  

I understand what a market cap is.  And i am arguing that it does have some value in comparing 2 different things.  even if it is 2 things that have nothing to do with each other.  how much value?  again...i'm not making investing decisions on it, but its simply a little nugget of information within a much bigger picture.  that's it.  a small tool in a huge tool box.

Thank god! Someone with a brain that can take over. I’m leaving this thread. It’s making my head hurt.

ahh my apologies...and here i thought we were having a somewhat intelligent conversation/debate about something...

because we all have much to gain in the crypto world from personal attacks and slinging mud (cant speak for anyone else, but thats why I found my way to this forum...a healthy, productive exchange of ideas, opinions, knowledge, etc...did i come to the wrong place?) ...good example from someone with 'legendary' status
Hasbro27

Activity: 378
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 14, 2018, 06:49:52 PM

if that happens it will get better for crypto currancy and more people will be interested in crypto currancy, I think it's well marked for the future and the development of crypto
Yakamoto
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1007

View Profile
January 14, 2018, 07:03:53 PM

The market cap is a total sum of the price of an asset times the number of unique asset pieces that exist.

which is exactly the same analogy i used with my having 5 of something worth 100 each.  

I understand what a market cap is.  And i am arguing that it does have some value in comparing 2 different things.  even if it is 2 things that have nothing to do with each other.  how much value?  again...i'm not making investing decisions on it, but its simply a little nugget of information within a much bigger picture.  that's it.  a small tool in a huge tool box.

ahh my apologies...and here i thought we were having a somewhat intelligent conversation/debate about something...

because we all have much to gain in the crypto world from personal attacks and slinging mud (cant speak for anyone else, but thats why I found my way to this forum...a healthy, productive exchange of ideas, opinions, knowledge, etc) ...good example from a 'legendary member'
Legendary member means we've been around for a long time and RNGesus blessed us with a good roll on getting the status, provided it is not always changing at 740 activity now.

The thing with your statement that you can use the market caps to compared to each other somehow is fallacious at best, there is nothing to compared beyond getting a rough idea of just how much money an asset is worth in a certain asset at a snapshot in time. It can change very rapidly and this goes doubly so for small cryptos, since they can go up and down off of the results of just a few buy or sell orders. It's a representative factor of the last order value * the number of assets.

Have you ever wondered by a majority of price aggregation and average platforms do not include the market cap? Because it is something not worth paying attention to in the grand scheme of things.

Thinking there is some sort of arbitrary "It should be worth x% of Bitcoin" is a terrible means of considering investments in cryptos, since there is no revenue to go off of like a traditional stock with a company behind it. Even as a "jumping point". There is no value in looking at those metrics in these environments like there is in FOREX or otherwise.

EDIT: Weird-ass formatting
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: