Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 11:14:34 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Please help w/ 5x 1080 mining rig...  (Read 210 times)
hopefulcryptominer (OP)

Activity: 8
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 13, 2018, 05:13:41 PM

Hi guys, 

I built my first mining rig today :
5x evga gtx 1080 on usb risers
Msi pro series z270
8gb ram
7th gen intel celeron
Windows 10 64bit
1200w corsair psu

so here are my problems:
Originally my problem was that after i booted up windows only 2 cards displayed on the driver and nicehash.
Next when i plugged in all 5 simotaneusly the wheel at the windows log in screen kept freezing.
Now something has changed that nothing except the bios menu will boot up.

I would really appreciate any help  Smiley
m1n1ngP4d4w4n

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

CryptoLearner

View Profile
January 13, 2018, 05:30:42 PM

Do you overclock them ? what power level do you run the GPU's ? does each one of them run separately ? for the risers did you power them all separately ? Did you properly connect all the GPU power connectors ? More infos needed, feels like a power issue or bad risers.
does
Copper Member

Activity: 117
Merit: 17

View Profile
January 13, 2018, 05:31:15 PM

have u enable above 4g decoding  ?

have u tried plug them one by one ?

gotminer

Activity: 644
Merit: 24

View Profile
January 13, 2018, 05:35:38 PM

At times I've experienced the wheel at the Windows login freezing while the gpu drivers are being installed.  And other rigs, it has logged me into Windows and it will go through a bit of freezing.  It takes some time to install drivers for multiple cards.  It would let it sit for 15 minutes and see if anything has changed.

Or just test them one by one. 

Ok, I want you to walk back in there and very calmly, very politely tell the risk assessors to fuck off! -Mark Baum
hopefulcryptominer (OP)

View Profile
January 13, 2018, 06:36:31 PM

Do you overclock them ? what power level do you run the GPU's ? does each one of them run separately ? for the risers did you power them all separately ? Did you properly connect all the GPU power connectors ? More infos needed, feels like a power issue or bad risers.

i do not overclock. pus run at 215 for four of them and 180 for the last one as it is a lower version of the 1080. I plug 2 risers in together.
hopefulcryptominer (OP)

View Profile
January 13, 2018, 06:45:13 PM

have u enable above 4g decoding  ?

have u tried plug them one by one ?

yes i enabled 4g decoding and set the pegs to the same gen.
hopefulcryptominer (OP)

View Profile
January 13, 2018, 06:51:16 PM

At times I've experienced the wheel at the Windows login freezing while the gpu drivers are being installed.  And other rigs, it has logged me into Windows and it will go through a bit of freezing.  It takes some time to install drivers for multiple cards.  It would let it sit for 15 minutes and see if anything has changed.

Or just test them one by one. 

ok i will try this
hopefulcryptominer (OP)

View Profile
January 13, 2018, 07:16:34 PM

Ok so i tried plugging them in one by one and all but 2 worked.
they have the lights on but nothing on the screen.
I tried to plug the 3 working ones in together and nothing.
tried plugging 2 working ones in and it works fine..
is there anything I could try?

also on  windows now there is no internet connection but i have a ethernet cable plugged in. On troubleshooting it says I do not have network drivers. Could someone please explain how I can fix this too?
Vann

Activity: 1036
Merit: 606

View Profile
January 13, 2018, 07:19:45 PM

I would remove the drivers in safe mode using DDU, shutdown and connect all the GPU's then install the latest driver. Verify all the GPU's are listed in Device Manager.

You can download the latest network driver from the motherboard support page on the manufacturer's website or use the driver on the support CD that came with the motherboard.
hopefulcryptominer (OP)

View Profile
January 13, 2018, 07:32:31 PM

Vann thank you i will try that!
I am still pretty new to building a pc and am still learning.
what is DDU and also how do I access safe mode?
do i install the driver somewhere in Bios or in regular windows?
Vann

Activity: 1036
Merit: 606

View Profile
January 13, 2018, 07:50:01 PM

You download DDU from the developer website, google DDU and it's the first link that comes up. Before installing the latest Nvidia driver, you should use DDU in safe mode to uninstall the driver Windows automatically installs. The first time you run DDU it will pop up a warning it's not running in safe mode, which you can enable in the settings of the program. After you enable the setting, launch DDU again and select to boot in to safe mode from the drop down menu. When DDU reboots in to safe mode it automatically disables the Windows automatic driver install, then select clean and shutdown to remove the drivers. After shutdown connect all the x1 GPU risers to the motherboard boot back to Windows and install the latest driver for your cards from the Nvidia website. I also enable the group policy to disable driver updates since you don't want Windows Update to changing the drivers you install.

gpedit ==> Computer Configuration ==> Administrative Templates ==> Windows Components ==> Windows Update and set 'Do not include drivers with Windows Update' to enabled.

You can also install the network driver from Windows.
hopefulcryptominer (OP)

View Profile
January 15, 2018, 05:13:31 AM

UPDATE:

turns out one of the gpus power cables was broken and that was preventing the rest from working. Unplugged that one and all others work fine now. Ordered a new power cable for the 5th card so hopefully all will go well with that!

As for the internet problem it seems my motherboards ethernet port got fried somehow...
I solved that by buying a nether wireless network adapter and that worked perfectly!

Rig is now mining on four out of five cards on nicehash !

just in case should there be a specific temperature to look out for and turn off if a gpu reaches that heat?

thank you everyone in this thread who helped me solve my problems  Smiley
does
Copper Member

Activity: 117
Merit: 17

View Profile
January 15, 2018, 02:17:17 PM

UPDATE:

turns out one of the gpus power cables was broken and that was preventing the rest from working. Unplugged that one and all others work fine now. Ordered a new power cable for the 5th card so hopefully all will go well with that!

As for the internet problem it seems my motherboards ethernet port got fried somehow...
I solved that by buying a nether wireless network adapter and that worked perfectly!

just in case should there be a specific temperature to look out for and turn off if a gpu reaches that heat?

a fried ethernet port ? that quite rare.

dont u have a warranty ?

u sure if its not disabled on the bios ?
hopefulcryptominer (OP)

View Profile
January 15, 2018, 04:20:35 PM

UPDATE:

a fried ethernet port ? that quite rare.

dont u have a warranty ?

u sure if its not disabled on the bios ?

well the port was working and had a blinking light and a few hours later the light was off and it was not working. I have warranty but that would mean disassembling everything , sending the mobo, waiting and then setting everything back up. the adapter solved my problems and i don't mind having paid for it since it saved me the time lost mining if i would have sent the motherboard back. in the 17 hours the rig has been running it made 23$ which is close to what I paid for the adapter Smiley
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: