Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 08:20:03 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: are AMD cards going to be even profitable?  (Read 284 times)
adodoes (OP)

Activity: 16
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 13, 2018, 11:51:12 PM

I saw some posts about DAG file on ethereum and it influencing AMD cards (all rx cards the most).
apparently they don't seem to have a bright future, can amd driver updates more or less fix it or is that already taken into account?
or is in a year or so time the only way out mining a different currency like Zcash and for those it seems that nvidia GPUs are just much better?
You can see the statistics of your reports to moderators on the "Report to moderator" pages.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
gotminer

Activity: 644
Merit: 24

View Profile
January 14, 2018, 12:01:34 AM

I saw some posts about DAG file on ethereum and it influencing AMD cards (all rx cards the most).
apparently they don't seem to have a bright future, can amd driver updates more or less fix it or is that already taken into account?
or is in a year or so time the only way out mining a different currency like Zcash and for those it seems that nvidia GPUs are just much better?

As long as the profitibility is there with cryptonight algo, AMD cards are going to kick ass.  If that changes, they might not kick ass as much.  That isn't to say your AMD rig will be useless though.

The fact that AMD Vega's have been so hard to find has forced me to buy Nvidia gpu's and I think that's a good thing.  Diversify your farm.

Ok, I want you to walk back in there and very calmly, very politely tell the risk assessors to fuck off! -Mark Baum
adodoes (OP)

View Profile
January 14, 2018, 12:07:14 AM

yea but the DAG file seems like it's gonna mess up rx cards real bad.
Juggar

Activity: 242
Merit: 11

View Profile
January 14, 2018, 01:34:43 AM

yea but the DAG file seems like it's gonna mess up rx cards real bad.

AMD fixed that with the mining drivers.
jmigdlc99

Activity: 784
Merit: 282

View Profile WWW
January 14, 2018, 01:53:51 AM

AMD problems with DAG files has been an issue of the past. This has been discussed to death on these forums and others as well. A quick google search will find these discussion for you.

Basically, AMD released new drivers that fixed this, previously there were blockchain drivers that could be downloaded separately but now blockchain drivers are included in the regular AMD driver. What you need to do now is to switch from "graphics" mode to "compute" mode.

0xacBBa937A57ecE1298B5d350f40C0Eb16eC5fA4B
toygg

Activity: 306
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 14, 2018, 02:35:33 AM

At the rate people are jumping onto Ethereum because of the price spike. I highly doubt 4gb VRAM is going to make the cut anymore soon.
flip4flop

Activity: 378
Merit: 135

View Profile
January 14, 2018, 03:34:57 AM

The bigger concern is when ETH will go to PoS which probably wont happen for some time but the DAG should be less of a concern as your 4gb card should be good for at least all of 2018.  Even then there are other coins to mine on Cryptonight algo so should be profitable for a long time.
jillscarbrough

Activity: 588
Merit: 335

Steady State Finance

View Profile
January 14, 2018, 06:46:07 AM

Most GPUs in my RIG are AMD (RX series) cards. and has been running for 2 years. Until now still good, although the DAG file is getting bigger.

I'm sure AMD card manufacturers are definitely more innovative in updating their products including the RX series. and if talking about the profit coin that should be mined, then the most important is the knowledge of which coin is the most profitable for the miner regardless of the use of AMD or NVIDIA cards.
HodlerBaggins

Activity: 42

View Profile
January 14, 2018, 07:04:20 AM

Probably not forever.  nVidia sucks at Cryptonight, but the Vega cards are not good at anything else so all AMD cards mining Cryptonight is going to pump the difficulty of those coins pretty hard.

If ETH goes PoS something else might fill the void though.

Branko

Activity: 2464
Merit: 318

View Profile
January 14, 2018, 08:20:40 AM

At the rate people are jumping onto Ethereum because of the price spike. I highly doubt 4gb VRAM is going to make the cut anymore soon.

What are you talking about, there can be 10 billion new miners, it won't affect need for VRAM
adodoes (OP)

View Profile
January 14, 2018, 01:27:14 PM

so should i go with AMD (probably a 4gb gpu) and mine Monero or Ethereum or go wtihn Nvidia and mine Zcash (probably gtx 1060 3gb)?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: