Bitcoin Forum
June 01, 2024, 02:54:29 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Securing your bitcoin mining equipment from theft - ideas?  (Read 4069 times)
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
August 17, 2013, 06:09:05 PM

Once your room is secured release some deadly toxins or air born disease into the room and never enter that room ever again.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
NoDisco (OP)

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 17, 2013, 09:35:31 PM

2. The next option, which is okay but not great, would be something similar that transmit when the machine is powered up. Much more risky, as you'd have to rely on the theives to plug it in at least once.
So I found something that'll do this - a GPS receiver you plug into a USB port. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gosget-BU-373-GPS-USB-Receiver-USB-Dongle-20-Ch-On-Sale-/221264986967
All you'll need is a bit of software that will send the gps coordinates from it to to a php script. I imagine that's probably not too hard.

However, I now think this would be a fairly useless approach. The thief would need to power up the miner AND connect to wifi for this to work.

So I'm still looking into my ideal option of battery powered GPS device, with a sim card, that can be texted for gps location etc. Most of these devices seem to have short battery life, but there should be a way round that.
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
August 17, 2013, 09:38:27 PM

booby traps work in the movies

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
zackclark70
Legendary

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

ADT developer

View Profile
August 17, 2013, 09:47:30 PM

2. The next option, which is okay but not great, would be something similar that transmit when the machine is powered up. Much more risky, as you'd have to rely on the theives to plug it in at least once.
So I found something that'll do this - a GPS receiver you plug into a USB port. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gosget-BU-373-GPS-USB-Receiver-USB-Dongle-20-Ch-On-Sale-/221264986967
All you'll need is a bit of software that will send the gps coordinates from it to to a php script. I imagine that's probably not too hard.

However, I now think this would be a fairly useless approach. The thief would need to power up the miner AND connect to wifi for this to work.

So I'm still looking into my ideal option of battery powered GPS device, with a sim card, that can be texted for gps location etc. Most of these devices seem to have short battery life, but there should be a way round that.

if you need a hand with electronics give me a shout

Littleshop
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1003

View Profile WWW
August 17, 2013, 09:52:14 PM

Guard your mining equipment with people and dogs for three months.  After that it is not worth stealing. 

NoDisco (OP)

View Profile
August 17, 2013, 10:04:42 PM

if you need a hand with electronics give me a shout
I'll definitely be getting in contact with you if I need to do some custom wiring, thanks Smiley
NoDisco (OP)

View Profile
August 17, 2013, 10:07:04 PM

Guard your mining equipment with people and dogs for three months.  After that it is not worth stealing.  
Actually this is pretty true! Maybe I could hire myself out as a bitcoin miner body guard? I will stand behind the door with a baseball bat and zonk anyone who attempt to break in and steal your miner Grin Payment in BTC
NoDisco (OP)

View Profile
August 17, 2013, 10:08:12 PM

Haven't explored it, but this looks useful too http://www.mologogo.com
zackclark70
Legendary

ADT developer

View Profile
August 17, 2013, 10:15:03 PM

have you considered using mobile phone and install map my ride and setting in on your wifi then and also have 3g so it auto changes over you would only need a cheap £30 android phone and a usb charger

NoDisco (OP)

View Profile
August 17, 2013, 10:20:12 PM

have you considered using mobile phone and install map my ride and setting in on your wifi then and also have 3g so it auto changes over you would only need a cheap £30 android phone and a usb charger
Thought of this, battery life is the main issue. Which cheap £30 android phone would you recommend?
zackclark70
Legendary

ADT developer

View Profile
August 17, 2013, 10:27:51 PM

Thought of this, battery life is the main issue. Which cheap £30 android phone would you recommend?

I had it working on a vivacity before gets about 6h unplugged maybe just wire a bigger battery to it Smiley

NoDisco (OP)

View Profile
August 17, 2013, 10:38:42 PM

I had it working on a vivacity before gets about 6h unplugged maybe just wire a bigger battery to it Smiley
Yep, the mobile + big battery is one of the options I'm thinking about.

The other main one is the gps tracker I mentioned earlier in this thread. The fact you can text it and it sends back gps coordinates and google maps link is a big bonus. Those tracker devices seem to have better battery life than a mobile too.

Still weighing up the options and seeing what else is out there. Thanks for your suggestions - I may still be getting back to you if I need to do some freaky wiring experiments Cool
mises

Activity: 352
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 17, 2013, 10:53:53 PM

I would get 3 Really Big Dogs..
There has already been suggestions of dogs and 12 Gauge shotguns Cheesy I was hoping for something more hi-tech and potentially useful to everybody (not every country allow gun ownership etc).

haha
doof

Activity: 765
Merit: 503

View Profile WWW
August 17, 2013, 11:16:31 PM

Depending on where you live, but Ill be securing mine in a old shipping container.  In Aus, you can buy them for about $3k.  Lots of roof to run solar too.
zackclark70
Legendary

ADT developer

View Profile
August 17, 2013, 11:54:39 PM

Depending on where you live, but Ill be securing mine in a old shipping container.  In Aus, you can buy them for about $3k.  Lots of roof to run solar too.

here in the uk you can get them for around £1,000 inc delivery

Beans

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 18, 2013, 12:54:26 AM

I think insurance and motion sensor cameras with alerts is about all you can do. Especially if your just using your house. If you had a Minirig or Avalon you could probably slip a gps unit or a prepaid phone with gps inside.
NoDisco (OP)

View Profile
August 18, 2013, 01:45:02 PM

I think insurance and motion sensor cameras with alerts is about all you can do.
Good call. I didn't know you could buy these which send sms alerts and also take photos if the sensor is tripped.

If you had a Minirig or Avalon you could probably slip a gps unit or a prepaid phone with gps inside.
Yep, this is the solution I keep coming back to. But a factor I hadn't realised until today is the potential problems with heat. I don't know how hot it gets inside an avalon or minirig, but if it gets too hot, li-ion batteries can start to deteriorate and even explode Shocked

Maybe a lo-tech solution would be best after all?  Grin

elor70

Activity: 84

View Profile
August 18, 2013, 03:41:34 PM

ummm locking your houses door?

pacojones

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 18, 2013, 07:56:14 PM