Bitcoin Forum
July 11, 2024, 07:07:56 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin power consumption  (Read 136 times)
dineth88 (OP)

Activity: 53
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 14, 2018, 02:43:28 AM

Bitcoin blockchain uses huge power consumption for its operation.Currently its power consumption is as much as Denmarks whole power consumption in a year. This will be a huge issue in the future. Will this lead to Bitcoins downfall ? Will countries opt to ban blockchain due to this ?
boboking

Activity: 224
Merit: 19

View Profile
January 14, 2018, 03:01:16 AM

I do not think so because more countries now are switching to renewable energies. Solar panels are getting cheaper and more efficient every year. Probably in the future the whole world will be able to use a 100% renewable energy source, it will keep the production cheaper and environment friendly.

wooch4aeye

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

EFFECT.AI▲Decentralized network for A.I&#965

View Profile
January 14, 2018, 12:43:47 PM

Bitcoin blockchain uses huge power consumption for its operation.Currently its power consumption is as much as Denmarks whole power consumption in a year. This will be a huge issue in the future. Will this lead to Bitcoins downfall ? Will countries opt to ban blockchain due to this ?

Many miners start big projects using renewable energies : Sun, wind, Dam ,..........
bitcoin will take less Bitcoin power consumption  and will need less than paper money sources

davis196

Activity: 3038
Merit: 918

View Profile
January 14, 2018, 01:00:14 PM

I do not think so because more countries now are switching to renewable energies. Solar panels are getting cheaper and more efficient every year. Probably in the future the whole world will be able to use a 100% renewable energy source, it will keep the production cheaper and environment friendly.

Renewable energy is still not a solution for the mining electricity consumption issues.All the solar and wind energy is still very expensive and it isn`t consistent.There are days without any sun and wind. Grin
The problem is not the type of electricity.The problem is the increased consumption.In the future, there will be more powerful computers that will execute more calculations with less amount of energy.

BTCbengi

Activity: 241
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 14, 2018, 01:16:45 PM

I do not think this will lead to the disappearance of Bitcoin because I still think we can generate enough power to provide for human activities. I am confident that in the future, we will find new sources of energy to replace and better the current power

Straux

Activity: 412
Merit: 251

View Profile
January 14, 2018, 01:20:18 PM

As time goes by, I don't think Bitcoin will become obsolete because of its high power consumption, but the computers that mine Bitcoin will become more and more efficient, leading to an equal or lesser amount of power consumption we see in the status quo.
Cryptohad

Activity: 229
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 14, 2018, 01:27:23 PM

I think the block's consumption power will not affect bitcoin, if it affects us, maybe today we see the damage and lack of power sources. but the reality is not.
Mike Mayor

Activity: 966
Merit: 535

View Profile
January 14, 2018, 06:16:59 PM

It's all relative. That power would have still come from somewhere if we never used Bitcoin and used fiat instead. Everything needs power it cannot be avoided. I wouldn't worry. There much more harmful things going in than Bitcoin mining power consumption.

Renewable energy is still not a solution for the mining electricity consumption issues.All the solar and wind energy is still very expensive and it isn`t consistent.There are days without any sun and wind. Grin
The problem is not the type of electricity.The problem is the increased consumption.In the future, there will be more powerful computers that will execute more calculations with less amount of energy.

Not yet but it's getting better and better and cheaper and cheaper. There are already projects to bring this idea to reality.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: