Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 08:54:03 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Adding tangible incentives while running a full node?  (Read 120 times)
TheeLazerus (OP)

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 14, 2018, 07:53:02 AM

At this moment, I only see two things as incentives for running a full node: verifying one's own blocks and bettering the network.

What about adding tangible incentives for running a full node, like lower transaction fees? Does this go against Bitcoin's creed or functionality?
Herbert2020
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1137

View Profile
January 14, 2018, 08:02:03 AM

bitcoin is a censorship resistant peer to peer digital cash. when you are using it then you are a peer in this decentralized network. in order to be a peer and also help with the thing you are using you need to run a full node and contribute to the network to make what you use stronger.
this should be more than enough incentive for anyone to run a full node in my opinion.

as for monetary incentive you can start running a Lightning node alongside your full node and get a little amount of fee by processing LN transactions.

Weak hands have been complaining about missing out ever since bitcoin was $1 and never buy the dip.
Whales are those who keep buying the dip.
Xavofat

Activity: 938
Merit: 559

Did you see that ludicrous display last night?

View Profile
January 14, 2018, 11:39:55 AM

What about adding tangible incentives for running a full node, like lower transaction fees? Does this go against Bitcoin's creed or functionality?
You couldn't set lower transaction fees for full nodes because miners typically include whichever transactions have the highest fees in blocks first.

Regardless, I think that trustlessness is an important enough benefit in itself - if a person cares about independently verifying that the consensus rules are being followed, they will have to run a full node.

I also think that having a direct benefit for running a full node - like a payment - would result in huge node farms rather than people using the nodes as their own wallet.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: