Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 12:29:29 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Myetherwallet security is too weak. Any other ERC20 Wallet?  (Read 636 times)
akmittal (OP)

Activity: 252
Merit: 102

View Profile
January 14, 2018, 09:35:17 AM

Yesterday my Myetherwallet hacked and balance Ethereum amount transfered to other MEW.
I backtracked the transaction and found there are many hundred wallets whose amount was also transfered like from my account.
Why Myetherwallet security is too weak?
 Any other ERC20 Wallet?
Give your opinion so that other fellows may be benefited.
trouble401

Activity: 72
Merit: 6

View Profile
January 14, 2018, 09:38:51 AM

Did you use a ledger or other hard wallet with MEW?  I think if you get one of those you should be good to go.

DeepOnion ⚡ Anonymous & Untraceable Cryptocurrency
⚡ Join DeepOnion Airdrop NOW! ⚡ (https://deeponion.org/apply.php?ref=1135054)
michael shikany

Activity: 196
Merit: 10

The Experience Layer of the Decentralized Internet

View Profile
January 14, 2018, 09:46:41 AM

The security of Myetherwallet should be good, I use Imtoken light purse, if you need to pursue more security, then use the hardware wallet.

aakriti

Activity: 168

View Profile
January 14, 2018, 09:48:32 AM

The same incidents I listen from my friends so many time. Myetherwallet administration is not upgrading security features. There should be authentication on each transaction.
A new ERC20 wallet is coming soon with advanced safety features. names as LivesOne www.lives.one.   Our group decided to transfer our all Coins to new wallet.
Doctor.Strange

Activity: 728
Merit: 250

Go Big or Go Home

View Profile
January 14, 2018, 09:54:22 AM

Your private keys must be stolen that's why your funds are moved, otherwise its not possible, Mew is just a tool to sign transactions.
cdb1690

Activity: 266
Merit: 101

View Profile
January 14, 2018, 10:02:44 AM

Yesterday my Myetherwallet hacked and balance Ethereum amount transfered to other MEW.
I backtracked the transaction and found there are many hundred wallets whose amount was also transfered like from my account.
 Any other ERC20 Wallet?

Sorry to hear that. That said MyEtherWallet is as safe as it gets. It all depends on your own security practices. Did you or did you not download MyEtherWallet and used it locally? Did you or did you not use MEW in conjunction with dedicated hardware wallets? Did you or did you not use MEW in offline computer/online computer setup? Did you or did you not store you private keys on network connected devices? Did you or did you not sign transactions on network connected devices? And list could go on and on... It's not easy to be your own bank.

★ ★ ★ ★ ★   DeepOnion    Anonymous and Untraceable Cryptocurrency    TOR INTEGRATED & SECURED   ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
› › › › ›  JOIN THE NEW AIRDROP ✈️        VERIFIED WITH DEEPVAULT  ‹ ‹ ‹ ‹ ‹
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬   ANN  WHITEPAPER  FACEBOOK  TWITTER  YOUTUBE  FORUM   ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
akmittal (OP)

View Profile
January 14, 2018, 10:03:25 AM

Your private keys must be stolen that's why your funds are moved, otherwise its not possible, Mew is just a tool to sign transactions.
Thank you for writing here on the topic. Without private key it is not possible to transfer funds. But if there is second authenticator for transaction than private key hackers can not cheat.
qazgroup

Activity: 1022
Merit: 20

RiveMont

View Profile
January 14, 2018, 10:07:09 AM

How it was hacked? Have you uploaded you private key at some fake site? Mew cannot be hacked it is only members providing there private key somewhere online. I do agree they need to increase security features, atleast they can introduce 2fa or email login.

●   RiveMont   ●
 ❰❰❰❰❰❰  RVMT  ❱❱❱❱❱❱  
● ▬▬▬▬▬ ● ▬▬▬▬▬ ●●●    ●  DeFi token  ●    ●●● ▬▬▬▬▬ ● ▬▬▬▬▬ ●
Doctor.Strange

Go Big or Go Home

View Profile
January 14, 2018, 10:10:09 AM

How it was hacked? Have you uploaded you private key at some fake site? Mew cannot be hacked it is only members providing there private key somewhere online. I do agree they need to increase security features, atleast they can introduce 2fa or email login.

No, if you use UTC file then hack is not possible, UTC private key is encrypted with strong password, hackers cannot crack that password for years.

Hack is possible when you unlock your wallet with private key, do not use private key on mew, always use UTC file which is password encrypted.
STIKS1911

Activity: 350
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 14, 2018, 10:10:49 AM

Better order yourself a hardware purse-Ledger Nano or Trezor. Safety in crypto currency is more important than all. So order it yourself and your crypto currency will be safe.

BCSHonda

Activity: 392

View Profile
January 14, 2018, 10:11:11 AM

I do not think the security on the Myetherwallet wallet is weak, you should be more accurate. Most of my ERC20-based tokens are kept on my MEW wallet and I feel very safe. It's a good idea to save the UTC and private keys carefully and do not let anyone steal, I'm sure your assets are very safe. You should be assured of the MEW wallet because it is used extensively throughout the world.
akmittal (OP)

View Profile
January 14, 2018, 10:11:30 AM

Any other ERC20 Wallet?

Sorry to hear that. That said MyEtherWallet is as safe as it gets. It all depends on your own security practices. Did you or did you not download MyEtherWallet and used it locally? Did you or did you not use MEW in conjunction with dedicated hardware wallets? Did you or did you not use MEW in offline computer/online computer setup? Did you or did you not store you private keys on network connected devices? Did you or did you not sign transactions on network connected devices? And list could go on and on... It's not easy to be your own bank.
Thanks for providing a lot of methods for securing MEW. But if there is any other 2nd  authenticator in addition with Private key we have no need of additional combinations for the security of MEW.
Doctor.Strange

Go Big or Go Home

View Profile
January 14, 2018, 10:12:01 AM

MEW is just a tool to sign your transactions like Electrum, Mycelium or Bread wallet, you hold your private keys in your PC.
Doctor.Strange

Go Big or Go Home

View Profile
January 14, 2018, 10:14:16 AM

Bookmark the MEW site, looks like you used any phishing site.
Selmor

Activity: 104

Highest ROI crypto infrastructure

View Profile
January 14, 2018, 10:15:31 AM

So normally mew is very secure. What kind of authentication did u use? If you use Key file and you store this file on save PC there can normally happened nothing bad. In most cases people are scammed by using fake mew Domains. Looking similar to the original one.

akmittal (OP)

View Profile
January 14, 2018, 10:16:31 AM

I do not think the security on the Myetherwallet wallet is weak, you should be more accurate. Most of my ERC20-based tokens are kept on my MEW wallet and I feel very safe. It's a good idea to save the UTC and private keys carefully and do not let anyone steal, I'm sure your assets are very safe. You should be assured of the MEW wallet because it is used extensively throughout the world.
Dear friend, I was having the same views before my wallet hacked.
cdb1690

View Profile
January 14, 2018, 10:17:31 AM

Thanks for providing a lot of methods for securing MEW. But if there is any other 2nd  authenticator in addition with Private key we have no need of additional combinations for the security of MEW.

If someone has your private keys, he doesn't need MEW to stole your funds. He can use every Ethereum wallet there is. Having two factor authentication on MEW wouldn't help you in any way.

★ ★ ★ ★ ★   DeepOnion    Anonymous and Untraceable Cryptocurrency    TOR INTEGRATED & SECURED   ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬   ANN  WHITEPAPER  FACEBOOK  TWITTER  YOUTUBE  FORUM   ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
lizardbtc

Activity: 448
Merit: 109

View Profile
January 14, 2018, 10:23:44 AM

Security is week because it is an browser wallet + you have probabbly used windows or mac. Since windows is the msot used OS out there you can get viruses much easier. When I need to use MEW I do so on my live OS linux. Live OS means that you run your OS through USB or CD and your system is only loaded into your RAM. Therefore I always have fresh system that I know for sure there are no viruses of any kind before I even think of exposing my private key.

As others have stated hardware wallet might be your best bet here.
Never use your main computer (or OS) for security related things, spcially if you haven't cleaned your computer for a while, who knows what might be in there.

Hopefully you haven't lost many coins, but avoid to save your private key and to to your computer if you did this. Bascially even when you don't use MEW if you have file stored somewhere on your computer hackers can potentially get to your private keys.
slimfit88

Merit: 11

View Profile
January 14, 2018, 10:25:04 AM

you must remember MEW its not bank, just wallet, my suggestion if you have money dont you keep for long time better you send and withdraw thats money

this list wallets
Blockchain.info for bitcoin
MyEtherWallet for ETH and ERC20
Jaxx or Exodus for multi-coins wallet.

and you must remeber to always clean you PC from virus, and add antivirus internet, and the last dont using public wifi
cdb1690

View Profile
January 14, 2018, 10:26:56 AM

If someone has your private keys, he doesn't need MEW to stole your funds. He can use every Ethereum wallet there is. Having two factor authentication on MEW wouldn't help you in any way.

To explain a bit further: your funds are not stored on MEW. The balance of each and every Ethereum account is stored on Ethereum blockchain. How does blockchain know who’s an owner of account? It doesn’t know that and it doesn’t care about that. However, consensus protocol won’t allow you to spend funds from any Ethereum account unless you signed transaction spending those funds with a private key corresponding to a public key, whose hash equals to an account address. Since blockchain itself doesn’t have any other security mechanism, there’s no sense in implementing it in MEW.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: