Bitcoin Forum
June 03, 2024, 06:58:04 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How ethical is it?  (Read 352 times)
ridertiger (OP)

Activity: 490
Merit: 110

View Profile
January 14, 2018, 12:45:12 PM

So, I have some bitcoinred (btcred). I received the new revolution or whatever coins. I am now trying to decide if I should sell my old btcred coins. They 0.20 USD a pop.
I do not want to sell something that if the buyer does not know that they are not valid anymore. On the other hand, you can never be sure. Maybe they wanna buy it anyway.
Any help on the ethical implications of selling an ended coin?
Onews1990

Activity: 362
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 26, 2018, 01:44:47 PM

Right, if you will sell now it will only make the biggest loss. So when you have bitcoin - you better hold, and wait for big dumps before doing withdraw
ridertiger (OP)

View Profile
April 26, 2018, 02:35:31 PM

What do you mean? I do not understand what you are trying to say.
joniboini
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1793

View Profile WWW
April 26, 2018, 04:22:33 PM

I think he misunderstood - or didn't read your post at all.

From my perspective it is unethical. At some point, it is analogous to "tricking" someone to buy something that doesn't have any value in the future so it won't be profitable for them. This is not a trade, as somebody, in the end, won't get any benefits. Even if there is a possibility that they do want to buy it, there's also a possibility that they don't know the coin is dead, or they will use the coins bought from you to scam others by thinking that this coins still has some value (or simply doing a pump and dump).

I believe it is better for you to not sell it after all. Somebody will be at loss in the end cause the coin is dead (assuming what you said is true).

███████████████████████████
███████▄████████████▄██████
████████▄████████▄████████
███▀█████▀▄███▄▀█████▀███
█████▀█▀▄██▀▀▀██▄▀█▀█████
███████▄███████████▄███████
███████▀███████████▀███████
████▄██▄▀██▄▄▄██▀▄██▄████
████▄████▄▀███▀▄████▄████
██▄███▀▀█▀██████▀█▀███▄███
██▀█▀████████████████▀█▀███
.Duelbits.
..........UNLEASH..........
THE ULTIMATE
GAMING EXPERIENCE
DUELBITS
FANTASY
SPORTS
████▄▄█████▄▄
░▄████
███████████▄
▐███
███████████████▄
███
████████████████
███
████████████████▌
███
██████████████████
████████████████▀▀▀
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
▬▬
VS
▬▬
████▄▄▄█████▄▄▄
░▄████████████████▄
▐██████████████████▄
████████████████████
████████████████████▌
█████████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
/// PLAY FOR  FREE  ///
WIN FOR REAL
..PLAY NOW..
hittedbyawhale

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 26, 2018, 04:42:41 PM

Money are money, also the Zclassic is a dead project, but it pumped the 600% in the last two weeks, maybe this coin will die, maybe will find a new team able to keep it up.
That means there is a huge request of this coin, so some people are buying also if they haven't the certainty that this coin will survive.

The market is the market, let the buyers buy, just if they ask you something about the coin, don't lie at all to them.
BrewMaster
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1292

There is trouble abrewing

View Profile
April 26, 2018, 05:02:06 PM

it depends on how you are selling them!
for example if you are going on the currency exchange board of bitcointalk and selling the coins by lying and faking facts then it is unethical.
but if there is an actual market for it like on an exchange (for example on Yobit) and people are already trading that coin (if it has volume) then there is nothing unethical. they have a reason for trading (buying) the coin there. go ahead and dump your coins.

There is a FOMO brewing...
ridertiger (OP)

View Profile
April 26, 2018, 06:28:11 PM

This was a long time ago and honestly I do not remember what I did. But I remember it was on a decentralized exchange and you would just put the coins to be sold, no talking.
Awesomus Maximus

Activity: 392
Merit: 66

View Profile
April 26, 2018, 06:36:24 PM

If you use an exchange it is an open market. Everybody has the right to buy and sell. Everybody has to do their due diligence and estimate the value of the coin they are buying. If you trade with a friend it is definitely unethical.
Fatunad

Activity: 2254
Merit: 354

View Profile
April 26, 2018, 06:39:54 PM

From my perspective it is unethical. At some point, it is analogous to "tricking" someone to buy something that doesn't have any value in the future so it won't be profitable for them. This is not a trade, as somebody, in the end, won't get any benefits. Even if there is a possibility that they do want to buy it, there's also a possibility that they don't know the coin is dead, or they will use the coins bought from you to scam others by thinking that this coins still has some value (or simply doing a pump and dump).

I believe it is better for you to not sell it after all. Somebody will be at loss in the end cause the coin is dead (assuming what you said is true).
You would already turn out to be a swindler.Well put the situation that you did able to sell out those coins but sooner or later that buyer will surely sue you that the coins is worthless and would request to reverse transactions and give him his money back. High chances for that situation to happen would be there. If you tell him on the first place that the token is useless but he still tend to buy it then its his choice and your conscience wont bother you anymore.
ItsEzMkay

Activity: 303

View Profile
April 26, 2018, 08:54:23 PM

You would already turn out to be a swindler.Well put the situation that you did able to sell out those coins but sooner or later that buyer will surely sue you that the coins is worthless and would request to reverse transactions and give him his money back. High chances for that situation to happen would be there. If you tell him on the first place that the token is useless but he still tend to buy it then its his choice and your conscience wont bother you anymore.
How is this any different from ICOs that make promises and don't deliver? Sure it isn't 100% ethical but at the same time if the other party in this transaction wants to buy a dead coin, that is THEIR FAULT! Not yours. Pretty ruthless way of thinking about it, but they won't learn if you do them a solid. They will learn when they buy a useless broken coin and then next time vow to never do that again, and vow to research. Don't aid people who don't do research, it simply isn't fair to the rest of us who do.

Aleister Crowley

Activity: 966
Merit: 501

View Profile
April 26, 2018, 08:58:55 PM

So, I have some bitcoinred (btcred). I received the new revolution or whatever coins. I am now trying to decide if I should sell my old btcred coins. They 0.20 USD a pop.
I do not want to sell something that if the buyer does not know that they are not valid anymore. On the other hand, you can never be sure. Maybe they wanna buy it anyway.

I think the coins you hold do not have any potential ,, maybe it would be better if you sell what you hold from now ,, before the price becomes more beautiful and if that happens, you will not get any ...
look for potential that can make the movement to be more specific
Thirdspace

Activity: 1232
Merit: 738

Mixing reinvented for your privacy | chipmixer.com

View Profile
April 26, 2018, 11:15:05 PM

This was a long time ago and honestly I do not remember what I did. But I remember it was on a decentralized exchange and you would just put the coins to be sold, no talking.
if it's on DEX, ethical or not isn't the issue here. It's the buyer's due diligence before buying the coin
by looking at the volume trades and simple google search on the coin's name,
he can find out the necessary information about the coin and make his own investment decision (buying the coin or not)

mast3rm1nd

Activity: 322

View Profile
April 27, 2018, 12:22:00 AM

this one is tough and in my opinion this is the hardest part about cryptocurrencies. how I think about it is like this: if you are selling sh*t and the buyer knows it's sh*t is it wrong ?? we all have the same information about any cryptocurrency that is available to everyone so what is the harm ??

FANCHAIN  (by SportsCastr) [FORBES]  Backed by Former NBA Commissioner  DAVID STERN
ANN Thread Telegram Twitter Whitepaper
NOW LIVE!
Scallywag

Activity: 249

View Profile
April 27, 2018, 12:26:24 AM

personally i wouldn't do it , because i couldn't stomach doing that to someone. but if someone does it i can understand it a little bit , because it is also on the person buying to do some decent research. so in my opinion if you can live with yourself go ahead , no judgement.
ridertiger (OP)

View Profile
April 27, 2018, 09:01:24 AM

I do not remember if I sold it or not, but sometimes old coins are revived, so there might be a reason that person is buying.
BitcoinNational
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1010

Join The Blockchain Revolution In Logistics

View Profile
April 27, 2018, 09:10:14 AM

If you find someone well aware of the current situation and who is still ready to buy your coins, I don't see the problem
Otherwise, it is not ethical at all. It's a kind of scam for me.  And I think you know it as you ask the question

▄██▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
           ▄████▄▄▄▄▄██████████████▄
         ▄████████████████▄▄▄███████
       ▄█████████████████████████████
     ▄████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀███████████████▄
   ▄████████▀█▀███▀        ███████████
 ▄████████▀███             ███████████
▄███████▀████                ██████████▄
███████████▀                  ██████████
 ██████▄████                   ██████▄███
  ██████▄████                 ▄█████████
   ██████▄████              ▄██████████
    ██████▄█████▄▄▄▄▄     ▄████████▀
     ██████▄████████████▄████████▀█▀██▀
      ██████████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████████▀█▀██▀
       ██████████████████████▀█▀█▀
         ▀▀▀▀▀▀███████████▀▀▀▀
                      ▀██▀▀
─────────────────
Revolutionized.  ──

█████████████████████████
██ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ██
██ █████████████▀█████ ██
██ ███ ▀█████▀      ▀█ ██
██ ███     ▀▀      ▐██ ██
██ ███▌            ███ ██
██ ████▌          ▄███ ██
██ ██████       ▄█████ ██
██ ████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████████ ██
██ ███████████████████ ██
██▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

█████████████████████████
██ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ██
██ ████████████▀▀▀████ ██
██ ████████▀▀     ████ ██
██ █████▀    ▄▀  ▐████ ██
██ ██▀     ▄▀    ▐████ ██
██ ████▄▄ █▀     █████ ██
██ ██████ ▄▄█   ▐█████ ██
██ ████████████ ██████ ██
██ ███████████████████ ██
██▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
.WHITEPAPER.
ANN Thread
Reddit

█████
██
██ █
██ █
██ █
   █

─────────────  Join
SMARC token ICO

█████
   ██
 █ ██
 █ ██
 █ ██
 █
Pearls Before Swine

Activity: 1190
Merit: 306

View Profile
April 27, 2018, 09:35:33 AM

Somebody will be at loss in the end cause the coin is dead (assuming what you said is true).
Agree with this.  However, I would also say that if you made sure the buyer understood what he was doing, by way of informing him (or verifying that he knows) that the coin is dead, OP would be covering his ass, ethically.  I don't know anything about this particular altcoin but it sounds like one that you'd probably want to unload if you can find a buyer for it.  You're probably not going to get many chances to sell it.  Jump at this if you can but it would be wrong to dump a dead coin on someone if they didn't know that's what it was.
billbear

Activity: 294
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 27, 2018, 09:44:51 AM

I think you can warn people who would buy them from you, that they are already done, and if they anyway would like to buy, you are clean.
Gecko8

Activity: 322
Merit: 101

View Profile
April 27, 2018, 09:58:21 AM

I think you can warn people who would buy them from you, that they are already done, and if they anyway would like to buy, you are clean.

How do you want to warn People? You can never avoid having sh coins on an Exchange. I guess if it is still a valid coin and still offered on any Exchange, than it is the buyers decision to invest in such a coin.
Supercrypt
Legendary

Activity: 1554
Merit: 1054

View Profile
May 01, 2018, 06:37:15 PM

As long as you are even doing something at the detriment of the other person for your own gain, that is a scam !
That is more like stealing from someone just to pretend to them that what you are selling to them is the real thing, whereas, it is fake.

The first thing the OP should have asked himself is how would he feel if someone actually ended up doing that to him ? Probably he should start from there and the answer he ends up giving to himself will be the answer to his own question on whether what he asked is unethical or not.

However, if this is done on a normal trade market where you have placed a sell order or someone dropped a buy order for it, then I am not sure how ethics come in. You are just simply trading anyway !
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: