Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 07:40:28 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Best mining OS/Multiboot  (Read 323 times)
btbam006 (OP)

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 14, 2018, 03:31:55 PM

Hey all, new to this forum and to mining. Not new to computers though. I have built several computers and have programming experience (haven't coded in a while, but I understand it). Anyway, my question is, what would be the best OS to use for mining and having multiple options to which algo and which coin I would like to mine?

I was also curious if anyone has successfully multi-booted different mining OS's on the same SSD, similar to dual booting Linux and Windows on the same SSD. I don't see why it wouldn't work but have yet to come across many people doing this. (Something like having ethOS, PIMP, Ubuntu and Windows on the same SSD and I could chose my boot option in the BIOS)

Overall though, just trying to get the best options for mining and being able to easily change algo and coin to mine. I have tried out CCMiner using Windows 7 just for fun but that is about it. A few friends have recommended using PIMP and some ethOS. I just want options in deciding which algo or coin I want to mine on the fly.

About my build, parts will all be in tomorrow, but I have 6x 1070 Ti's, i3, 120gb SSD, 8gb DDR4, 2x 750w Corsair Platinums HX750i, MSi Z270 mobo. Just want to get an idea of what I am going to load prior to jumping into the build. Thanks!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Each block is stacked on top of the previous one. Adding another block to the top makes all lower blocks more difficult to remove: there is more "weight" above each block. A transaction in a block 6 blocks deep (6 confirmations) will be very difficult to remove.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
rattle99

Activity: 518
Merit: 107

View Profile
January 21, 2018, 09:18:52 AM

Any update? Are you mining?
btbam006 (OP)

View Profile
January 22, 2018, 03:31:54 AM

Only updates I have as of now. Rig is built, the 6x 1070 Ti's delivery date just keeps getting pushed further and further out which is extremely aggravating. I have since ordered 2x 1080's and a 1070 from Best Buy, all of which will be in by Friday/Saturday (I actually have tracking #'s). I have installed Win 7 on the machine just to test everything, all is well. After some more research, I am pretty satisfied with what pimp os offers and will most likely just have a single boot to pimp. I may still try to dual boot pimp and windows. Main thing now is the GPU's. I just want to get everything setup prior so all I have to do is install the cards into the rig and go. Which I am almost there 👍

Here is the rig so far.... Just pulled my GTX 770 for the time being to size the rig and test it all. Built the frame myself. Came out decent I think! Just can't wait to fill it up!

https://i.imgur.com/OJitBlA.jpg
cpmcgrat

Activity: 223
Merit: 21

DCAB

View Profile
January 22, 2018, 03:56:07 AM

Depends on the cards, algorithm and mining software. For some applications (and cards, cryptonight) I prefer windows, but for the most part I use a Debian based Linux distro

Member, Dero Community Advisory Board (DCAB)
Bitsaurus

Activity: 873
Merit: 1007

View Profile
January 22, 2018, 04:18:19 AM

For maximum rig density nothing can beat Linux distros because they can handle those new boards with 19 available slots. ethos and smos are very popular but may have monthly fees per rig. Windows 10 has resource issues with some boards and can't do the insane density linux can.

If you're going to be using AMD cards then Windows is easier to flash BIOS and control voltages. Windows has the pain that is forced Windows updates - not a problem for those who know how to shut it down. Windows is more stable with mixed AMD/nVidia rigs. Windows tends to mine a tad bit faster than linux distros.

As far as uptime, they're the same. I've had rigs some stay up for over 6 months straight and only come down because of a power outage or cleaning.

Most would say pick the OS you're most comfortable with.
btbam006 (OP)

View Profile
January 22, 2018, 11:09:57 AM

Thanks guys, yeah, after some research, I am going to stick to probably a dual boot of Windows 7 and Pimp OS. Run those for a bit and see how they do. Again just mainly comes down to getting the cards in.
JFoxOne

Activity: 640
Merit: 56

minerstat

View Profile WWW
June 02, 2018, 03:03:47 PM

Thanks guys, yeah, after some research, I am going to stick to probably a dual boot of Windows 7 and Pimp OS. Run those for a bit and see how they do. Again just mainly comes down to getting the cards in.

Bookmark minerstat's mining OS (msOS) to check later.
New version will be out in couple of weeks. Amazing stuff.  Cool

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: