Bitcoin Forum
June 24, 2024, 03:03:32 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Phising and scamming is getting out of hand  (Read 108 times)
simongoat (OP)

Activity: 392
Merit: 102

View Profile
January 15, 2018, 10:14:27 AM

Its really sad the amount of people who are getting scammed out of their coins by criminals. For every ico there seems to be a phising website. I came across a crowd sale site the other day that looked convincing and I thought about contributing but because I am a website designer I could see something was not quite right. I checked the URL with one from a ico review site and could see it was a scam. I'm lucky because I have enough experience to spot it but newbies don't know about this and are getting screwed left right and centre.

People are making fake nano ledger's and selling them on ebay, there's phising shape shift copies, emails trying to extract your mew key and dodgy bitcoin fork wallets stealing private keys. It's like the whole industry is under attack by some very clever people and I wonder can anything be done? Can phising websites be reported and taken down?

The weird thing is that if the criminals just invested in crypto rather than stealing other peoples they would probably make as much money and not have to go through all that effort. Does anyone know if this a really big problem or is it a few isolated cases.

jseverson

Activity: 1834
Merit: 759

View Profile
January 15, 2018, 12:08:27 PM

People are making fake nano ledger's and selling them on ebay, there's phising shape shift copies, emails trying to extract your mew key and dodgy bitcoin fork wallets stealing private keys. It's like the whole industry is under attack by some very clever people and I wonder can anything be done? Can phising websites be reported and taken down?

Woah seriously? I've never heard of a case like this but it would be terrifying if it were true.

I don't think anyone can really do anything against phishing websites other than to raise awareness against them. Tell the legit websites about the copycats so they can warn their customers. If you see a phishing site on Google ads, report them to Google. Tell newbies about them, though anyone using the internet should already have their guards up anyway.

Scammers are not going to invest on such elaborate attacks if they can get the same returns by going legit. It has always been a big problem all around the internet, not just around the crypto scene. Scamming has probably existed for as long as civilization has, and it's unlikely to stop now.

BitcoinSupremo
Copper Member

Activity: 1442
Merit: 529

View Profile
January 15, 2018, 12:13:17 PM

Its really sad the amount of people who are getting scammed out of their coins by criminals. For every ico there seems to be a phising website. I came across a crowd sale site the other day that looked convincing and I thought about contributing but because I am a website designer I could see something was not quite right. I checked the URL with one from a ico review site and could see it was a scam. I'm lucky because I have enough experience to spot it but newbies don't know about this and are getting screwed left right and centre.

The weird thing is that if the criminals just invested in crypto rather than stealing other peoples they would probably make as much money and not have to go through all that effort. Does anyone know if this a really big problem or is it a few isolated cases.

That is why you will find many threads in the forum, in the alternative clients section usually but even in some other parts of the forum where people ask where to buy the hardware wallet and the answer from all experienced members is : Never buy from another source (Ebay) but always buy from the official website.

For Nano S the correct website is https://www.ledgerwallet.com
For Trezor the correct website is https://www.trezor.io
HorribleGuy01

Activity: 25
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 15, 2018, 12:16:29 PM

Its really hard to tell what is legit and what is not. The no. of scammers and phishers increased due to the increased popularity of the cryptocurrency that is why there are this fake accounts in this forum.
Harlot

Activity: 1806
Merit: 672

View Profile
January 15, 2018, 12:19:14 PM

With the cryptocurrency industry booming its no surprise that criminals are also interested in getting there hands of this cryptocurrency especially Bitcoin. Even the early stage where only HYIPs are prominent to scamming new persons as it is easy to create fake companies with good designed sites. Now there are phishing sites and also the famouse WannaCry ransom where you need to pay Bitcoin in order to access your computer again. As a cryptocurrency owner we must also step up our security as it is our precious digital asset.
Kingofbitcoin12345

Activity: 462

View Profile
January 15, 2018, 12:31:01 PM

I sadly agree that it’s happening because of its popularity and the means to do so thru the use of internet is an advantage to any criminal minded person that thinks about bad things to others.. And the truth is we are only limited capability to distinguish such websites.. Ignoring is not the option but to warn and be aware that it’s better be conservatively checking carefully than regretting at the end..

____________yahoo62278 CAMPAIGN MANAGER________  ◥◥  The Best & Most Popular Manager  ◤◤  ____________
ICO Manager          Bounty Manager          Signature Campaign Manager          Twitter Campaign Manager
█████████████████████████   ADD "yahoo62278" on Telegram & Skype   █████████████████████████
ekolet

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 15, 2018, 12:33:40 PM

Just double check and use bookmarks. Not that difficult. Heck I triple check before every transaction.
bit-freedom

Activity: 658
Merit: 256

View Profile
January 15, 2018, 12:36:16 PM

Sadly, what you have said are what is going on now. We can try to report the scam website to the domain provider and hope it will be take down soon. But everyday, the scammer create new website to scam people. I think educating the people not to fall for scam is more realistic.
judemarco1996

Activity: 210

View Profile
January 15, 2018, 12:43:31 PM

People should become more educated how phishing works for them to prevent them from getting hack to. They should learn if the site they visiting is a site which can be really trusted.  It is easy to prevent from getting hacked if people just know how it works.
drwhobox

Activity: 756
Merit: 133

- hello doctor who box

View Profile
January 15, 2018, 12:44:52 PM

This is really terrifying for most of the newbies and the non concius person(s) here on the forum and out of the forum. More and more scammers are getting into phishing websites just to get some easy bucks but, we can stop them if a user reports it to the public just to let them know that there are some sites with different things going on it.

With buying physical wallets or offline wallets the best way is not to buy from 3rd party sellers but, buy from official websites.
derdgzmn30

Activity: 93
Merit: 2

View Profile
January 15, 2018, 12:47:40 PM

Please be careful to the people who wants phising and scamming in this cryptocurrency industry. Do not give your personal informartion to the other people without precaution

KRIPTON ● THE BITCOIN OF AFRICA (https://kriptonofafrica.com/)
m.vina

Activity: 280

View Profile
January 15, 2018, 12:49:00 PM

That is why you will find many threads in the forum, in the alternative clients section usually but even in some other parts of the forum where people ask where to buy the hardware wallet and the answer from all experienced members is : Never buy from another source (Ebay) but always buy from the official website.

Yeah the scamming has got to stop. The problem is people are too blinded by greed and whatnot to see past the scam, the allure of crypto and profits is too much for some.

On another note, is buying from ebay really that bad? What about lets say im cosidering buying a graphics card? Will i most likely get scammed by paying first and not getting my item? Doesn't ebay protect me from scams like this?

M O Z O   //     $31M RAISED!     PRE-LISTED on Coinrail     $450k Bounty Tradable on 8/8/18
●            ●                       VERSACE & 38,000 Stores are accepting MOZO TOKENS                       ●            ●
●            ●            WHITEPAPER        MEDIUM        TELEGRAM        ANN THREAD            ●            ●
patt0
Legendary

Activity: 1694
Merit: 1005

Betting Championship betking.io/sports-leaderboard

View Profile
January 15, 2018, 12:55:29 PM

I don't think it's isolated and there is nothing that can be done at all in my opinion. The internet is widely known for being an insecure place to be at. The majority of people don't have solid tech knowledge and can be easily hacked or scammed. There should be some fort of online security campaigns, to teach common users the basics of online security. And when I say the basics, I really mean the basic stuff like having a strong password and actually explaining people what a strong password is, because some might think that using their name as a password and adding a few numbers to it, is strong enough.
Teach them to use a good internet security program, and not just antivirus. Most of the problems these days come from malware, and most people don't even run malware scans from time to time. The simple act of bookmarking some trusted sites, could be an improvement to prevent them for being victims of phishing attempts.

We are seeing many ICOs recently, maybe we will see a platform that will aim to do just that. Teach people how to use the internet, and decrease their chances of being hacked.

Carmen01

Activity: 294
Merit: 101

Streamity Decentralized cryptocurrency exchange

View Profile
January 15, 2018, 12:55:39 PM

Actually base on my real scam experience in other person they got $250 in me but i think if you get scam that's your fault because you trust them easily in your money so i say if you do investing prepare yourself if you don't really know what you doing because you get scam by not really knowing that,another thing there's a lot of way to avoid that like invest in already trusted here in forum.

armansolis593

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 15, 2018, 01:07:07 PM

It's like the whole industry is under attack by some very clever people and I wonder can anything be done?

There is something can be done by making sure that you are wary of the things that you do in the internet, like what they say "prevention is better than cure", if you saw something malicious and doesnt feel like clicking then dont do it.

Can phising websites be reported and taken down?

From what i know it can be taken down by reporting it to google so that it can no longer be able in their searching engine and other search engine also then report that website to its web provider, and after a few days or hour that website will be gone from the internet.
pootutus

Activity: 156

View Profile
January 15, 2018, 01:14:32 PM

More and more criminals use the Internet to steal people's bitcoins. Some ICO need people to provide private keys. This is obviously a hoax. There are also some fraudulent e-mail and phishing websites. There are often suspicious links, so we need to improve safety awareness.
simongoat (OP)

Activity: 392

View Profile
January 15, 2018, 01:38:41 PM

Yeah the scamming has got to stop. The problem is people are too blinded by greed and whatnot to see past the scam, the allure of crypto and profits is too much for some.

On another note, is buying from ebay really that bad? What about lets say im cosidering buying a graphics card? Will i most likely get scammed by paying first and not getting my item? Doesn't ebay protect me from scams like this?

The thing with buying a ledger from ebay is that comes with a fake seed. So when the buyer activates it and puts their coins in they get stolen.

BitcoinHodler

Activity: 1456
Merit: 579

HODLing is an art, not just a word...

View Profile
January 15, 2018, 01:47:16 PM

as long as there are dumb and lazy people out there, there will be lazy scammers like this too. there was a time when scammers had to put a lot of effort into convincing people to fall for their lies but now it seems like they just create a fake site and people fall for it easily...

not to mention that i have seen some of these people who seem legit are scamming themselves. for example the ICO people create the fake website themselves to also rob people in an additional way!

Holding Bitcoin More Every Day
julius caesar

Activity: 644
Merit: 127

★Bitvest.io★ Play Plinko or Invest!

View Profile
January 15, 2018, 01:54:03 PM

Its really hard to tell what is legit and what is not. The no. of scammers and phishers increased due to the increased popularity of the cryptocurrency that is why there are this fake accounts in this forum.

Yes I agree with this, some of my neighbors come and tell me about a stranger offers an invedtion starting 100$ which already huge in our country and promise to her that just wait for freaking 2 hours and it will be double, I am really really shocked because the way they used to impressed is very catchy which is very dangerous not only for the people but also for the sake of this platform which added a bad reputation to this platform.

supermine

Activity: 826
Merit: 518

View Profile
January 15, 2018, 02:05:12 PM

Everything in this world have good and bad sides so we need to get enough knowledge of crypto market before investing on ICOs.There are many new people just want to make quick money so only the criminal targeting the crypto investors.So the people who want to invest on ICOs need to make enough iresearches about the project team to reduce the risk of losing your investments.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: