Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 04:13:50 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Comparison to Apple (AAPL) shares  (Read 9665 times)
foggyb
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1006

View Profile
July 10, 2011, 10:15:00 PM

Rare earth metal are the only thing remotely giving returns comparable to Bitcoin in the past year. Unfortunately for REM speculators, The Japanese just found a vast supply of said metals on the ocean seabed.

Deepsea mining has to be 10x more costly than onshore extraction.

Mining difficulty is already priced in.

Price follows difficulty.

Thread successfully derailed.

I just registered for the $PLOTS presale! Thank you @plotsfinance for allowing me to purchase tokens at the discounted valuation of only $0.015 per token, a special offer for anyone who participated in the airdrop. Tier II round is for the public at $0.025 per token. Allocation is very limited and you need to register first using the official Part III link found on their twitter. Register using my referral code CPB5 to receive 2,500 points.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: mining our own business since 2009" -- Pieter Wuille
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
netrin

Activity: 322
Merit: 251

FirstBits: 168Bc

View Profile
July 11, 2011, 02:48:23 PM

Deepsea mining has to be 10x more costly than onshore extraction.

Mining difficulty is already priced in.

Price follows difficulty.

Thread successfully derailed.

Gold miners do not set the price of gold as much as the price of gold determines the profits of miners.

Consumable energy (rather than spent energy) has a value equal to the value an organism sets for its life (infinite?). Only competition keeps oil prices down. Neither statement can be said about bitcoins.

Greenlandic tupilak. Hand carved, traditional cursed bone figures. Sorry, polar bear, walrus and human remains not available for export.
NO_SLAVE

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 11, 2011, 03:19:08 PM

um, think youre forgetting one thing....APPL is not riddled with crimes and criminal types.
S3052
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 11, 2011, 10:33:44 PM

In the next 2-5 years BTC will likely be higher than AAPL in $terms.

Even if BTCUSD remains at 14$...!

Because the upcoming major stock market crash will bring back AAPL to the teens (and I love the Apple brand, have nothing against them, but consumers will not have the $'s left in their purse or credit to affort those high margin Apple products).

peach

View Profile
July 11, 2011, 10:42:15 PM

Because the upcoming major stock market crash will bring back AAPL to the teens (and I love the Apple brand, have nothing against them, but consumers will not have the $'s left in their purse or credit to affort those high margin Apple products).

...and a new kind of fact-asserting crazy appears.
billyjoeallen
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1007

Hide your women

View Profile WWW
July 11, 2011, 11:07:49 PM

It's a high risk investment with an extremely low risk/reward ratio. You have approximately a 30% chance of making 10X your original investment.  Any poker player would jump at the chance.

Haha I love it when bitcoiners quantify things like this.  Please explain how someone has a 30% chance of making 10x their investment.

+1

I pulled the numbers out of my ass, but the principle still stands. Bitcoin has less than a 50/50 chance of reaching critical mass, but if it does, the return on investment will substantially more than double.  

50% chance you say? That's like saying winning or losing a game is always equally probable, just because there are two possible outcomes.

Calling to reference expected value and poker play here is even dumber. Who's the say that the odds aren't <1% that we'll gain a 10% gain on our investment?

I invested some money in Bitcoin myself, but I'm just saying assigning expected values to such things isn't appropriate.

LESS THAN 50%. that's anywhere from 0.00000001% to 49.99999999%. A wide margin. It's not my fault you suck at reading comprehension.  

Easy now, big guy.

I obviously made a reading-error, but that doesn't nullify the other points I made. You can't hide behind those with your caps lock and ad hominem.

I'm not assigning expected values. I already said that the numbers were just there to illustrate the principle of a bet with an expectation of loss that is still worth making.

insert coin here:
Dash XfXZL8WL18zzNhaAqWqEziX2bUvyJbrC8s

1Ctd7Na8qE7btyueEshAJF5C7ZqFWH11Wc
peach

View Profile
July 11, 2011, 11:33:57 PM

It's a high risk investment with an extremely low risk/reward ratio. You have approximately a 30% chance of making 10X your original investment.  Any poker player would jump at the chance.

Haha I love it when bitcoiners quantify things like this.  Please explain how someone has a 30% chance of making 10x their investment.

+1

I pulled the numbers out of my ass, but the principle still stands. Bitcoin has less than a 50/50 chance of reaching critical mass, but if it does, the return on investment will substantially more than double.  

50% chance you say? That's like saying winning or losing a game is always equally probable, just because there are two possible outcomes.

Calling to reference expected value and poker play here is even dumber. Who's the say that the odds aren't <1% that we'll gain a 10% gain on our investment?

I invested some money in Bitcoin myself, but I'm just saying assigning expected values to such things isn't appropriate.

LESS THAN 50%. that's anywhere from 0.00000001% to 49.99999999%. A wide margin. It's not my fault you suck at reading comprehension.  

Easy now, big guy.

I obviously made a reading-error, but that doesn't nullify the other points I made. You can't hide behind those with your caps lock and ad hominem.

I'm not assigning expected values. I already said that the numbers were just there to illustrate the principle of a bet with an expectation of loss that is still worth making.

Thank you for explaining what expected value is. We all needed that.

Anyways, there is no possible way you can say with confidence that investing in Bitcoin at this stage has positive EV.
billyjoeallen
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1007

Hide your women

View Profile WWW
July 11, 2011, 11:47:33 PM

+1

Easy now, big guy.

Thank you for explaining what expected value is. We all needed that.

Anyways, there is no possible way you can say with confidence that investing in Bitcoin at this stage has positive EV.

I'm confident that investing in Bitcoin at this stage has a positive EV.  You are refuted.

insert coin here:
Dash XfXZL8WL18zzNhaAqWqEziX2bUvyJbrC8s

1Ctd7Na8qE7btyueEshAJF5C7ZqFWH11Wc
netrin

View Profile
July 11, 2011, 11:49:00 PM

Certainly your guess as to how AAPL will respond to lower consumer purchasing power is as good as any. But both Greenspan and Bernanke hold the stock market darling with no regard for base M0 monetary inflationary policy. The lesson Keynesians learned from '29-39 was that contraction of the money supply was both cause and effect of the stock market collapse. The Fed is now buying assets with printed money to prevent both. No, the stock market won't deflate, the Fed will just claim commodity supplies are decreasing, naturally increasing prices on tangible necessities.

Greenlandic tupilak. Hand carved, traditional cursed bone figures. Sorry, polar bear, walrus and human remains not available for export.
CurbsideProphet

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 12, 2011, 12:03:41 AM

As much as people harp on the trolls, posts like the OP's are equally worthless.  No analysis, just another zomg I hope I get rich post.  If people are going to be called trolls for being negative without providing any sort of logic/argument, then I say the same should go for these types of posts.  What would be the equivalent of a troll?  An orc?

Hey OP, stop Orcing the forum.

1ProphetnvP8ju2SxxRvVvyzCtTXDgLPJV
netrin

View Profile
July 12, 2011, 03:46:37 AM

Trawling can be contrasted with trolling, where baited fishing lines instead of trawl nets are drawn through the water.

S3052
Legendary

View Profile
July 12, 2011, 05:45:20 AM

Certainly your guess as to how AAPL will respond to lower consumer purchasing power is as good as any. But both Greenspan and Bernanke hold the stock market darling with no regard for base M0 monetary inflationary policy. The lesson Keynesians learned from '29-39 was that contraction of the money supply was both cause and effect of the stock market collapse. The Fed is now buying assets with printed money to prevent both. No, the stock market won't deflate, the Fed will just claim commodity supplies are decreasing, naturally increasing prices on tangible necessities.

I am happy to bet with you that the DJI will fall below 4000 by 2015, to underline that I am serious with my forecast.

Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
July 12, 2011, 07:23:18 AM

Some other genius can come out with a new crytocurrency. Most people on this forum at least are willing to try something new. Maybe in the next five years a new bitcoin competitor comes out. Also with bitcoin most likely not upgrading to SHA-3 then there is a pretty high possibility that it gets cracked.

No.  Roll Eyes

relative

View Profile
July 12, 2011, 07:24:18 AM

apple makes profit.

end of discussion.
peach

View Profile
July 12, 2011, 04:15:17 PM

apple makes profit.

end of discussion.

Revenue is the name of the game.
netrin

View Profile
July 13, 2011, 04:00:41 PM

I am happy to bet with you that the DJI will fall below 4000 by 2015, to underline that I am serious with my forecast.

The middle classes will have trouble affording food, energy, transportation, paying off debt (despite attractive loss in debt value), and very few will be able to afford fashionable consumer electronics. So AAPL will drop unless they start selling apples from trees or produce soft/hardware for the banks. But I posit that the Fed will continue monitary inflation combating stock market deflation while denying real price inflation. Unfortunately, I think they can keep that up for four more years, before everything traded in dollars collapses, but I'm certainly not betting on that timeline.

60% collapse by 2015, you say?

S3052
Legendary

View Profile
July 13, 2011, 09:11:09 PM

yes at least 60% drop.

My expectation is even  a 90% drop, but I am happy to bet on a 60% drop to start with.

To those who dont believe in deflation that is already underway since late 1999 should look at the DJI measured in gold.

netrin

View Profile
July 14, 2011, 02:38:09 AM

yes at least 60% drop.

My expectation is even  a 90% drop, but I am happy to bet on a 60% drop to start with.

To those who dont believe in deflation that is already underway since late 1999 should look at the DJI measured in gold.

What asset type are we wagering? Fiat currency or stocks? Smiley

S3052
Legendary

View Profile
July 14, 2011, 07:45:09 AM

yes at least 60% drop.

Stock measured in fiat currencies will drop hard. That is what I would wager on. :-)

bitcoinBull
Legendary

Activity: 826
Merit: 1001

rippleFanatic

View Profile
July 15, 2011, 12:57:17 PM

yes at least 60% drop.

Stocks measured in fiat currencies will drop hard. That is what I would wager on. :-)

Does that mean you're bullish on PMs and commodities, S3052?

I would bet against you on AAPL because though most consumers are weak, luxury brands should fare better due to the growing inequality.

College of Bucking Bulls Knowledge
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: