Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 03:45:59 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoins in place of cash  (Read 144 times)
caywin (OP)

Activity: 20
Merit: 2

View Profile
January 15, 2018, 01:30:12 PM

Bitcoins are used to pay for purchases, bills and services availed, does this mean that it can possibly replace the existence of cash?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
illusioNiZt

Activity: 756
Merit: 252

View Profile WWW
January 15, 2018, 01:35:58 PM

Right now Bitcoin charges high tax on small transactions and takes time to confirm so its not really good for small transactions, I don't think its possible to use Bitcoin for your daily expenses BTC is more like a long term investment IMO.

paul00

Activity: 854
Merit: 257

View Profile
January 16, 2018, 01:11:48 PM

Honestly, I think that this is not that ideal since the value of bitcoin still measured thru the value of fiat money that exists in each country. Even if more merchants will be willing to accept bitcoin as payment, I think that this will be an option for payment and not solely as the offered mode of payment
Roukawa

Activity: 546
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 16, 2018, 01:15:28 PM

Bitcoins are used to pay for purchases, bills and services availed, does this mean that it can possibly replace the existence of cash?
There are exceptions with bitcoin. I think that many firms as of now did not accept bitcoin as payment. Yes, it has the possibility to change fiat currency but it takes time before it will fully implemented. As we can see, it is impossible today for the bitcoin makes as current currency.

drunkcoin

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 16, 2018, 01:18:18 PM

No, it won't replace fiat in nearest future. As it was mentioned, Bitcoin is slow and has high transaction fees. Also it's still not widely accepted and is hard to earn. Moreover, to pay with crypto you have to use devices connected to the internet. It's hardly possible in some countries.
aleksej996

Activity: 490
Merit: 389

Do not trust the government

View Profile
January 16, 2018, 01:22:04 PM

Other than the mentioned current technical issues, cash is still more useful than Bitcoin in certain rare cases.
Using paper cash is still more anonymous than Bitcoin. You can also use paper money without electricity, you don't want your phone battery to die and for you to be left without any cash on you. It also can be more secure for certain people that can have good physical security and is difficult for them to have good cybersecurity, perhaps due to lack of knowledge.
Caraphernalia

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 16, 2018, 01:27:25 PM

Absolutely not, bitcoin is just made as an alternative medium that has the value of a money. What I mean is that what does a bitcoin do is not enough yet to be the same level of cash. Cash is literal thing and coukd be touched anytime while bitcoin is just a digital currency.
Anti-Cen

Activity: 210
Merit: 26

High fees = low BTC price

View Profile
January 16, 2018, 01:41:02 PM

Right now Bitcoin charges high tax on small transactions and takes time to confirm so its not really good for small transactions, I don't think its possible to use Bitcoin for your daily expenses BTC is more like a long term investment IMO.

Well that's like saying get paid in $USD but you must use £GBP when you do your shopping
and if Bitcoin cannot provide a total service then move over and let something else take over

Quite simply BTC won't scale and the fees have become a rip-off so if the digits don't offer something
of use then no point using it unless another digital currency was brought out and it's value was pegged
to BTC at say 100,000:1 and people could trade in that but demand payment in gold which would be BTC in this case.

Yes this is how fiat once worked so maybe it was crazy to suggest that we could repeat history

Mining is CPU-wars and Intel, AMD like it nearly as much as big oil likes miners wasting electricity. Is this what mankind has come too.
sebo.k

Activity: 83

View Profile
January 16, 2018, 01:43:18 PM

Never, it won't be possible  for bitcoin to replace cash outright.  Network  fees and delay in confirmation  are the major hurdles  bitcoin miners need to solve before we can think  of bitcoin  replacing cash.
aleksej996

Activity: 490
Merit: 389

Do not trust the government

View Profile
January 16, 2018, 01:45:12 PM

Never, it won't be possible  for bitcoin to replace cash outright.  Network  fees and delay in confirmation  are the major hurdles  bitcoin miners need to solve before we can think  of bitcoin  replacing cash.

Sounds to me like you want the Lightning Network. Smiley
crypto-trader2017

Activity: 34

View Profile
January 16, 2018, 02:00:31 PM

At this stage, no, now there is not much where to take payment in bitcoins
It's not so popular yet
BitAngelTW

Activity: 33

View Profile
January 16, 2018, 02:03:28 PM

I think not, because they keep value day in day out, although they are very unstable and the fact that they can lose value so quickly is the main question mark
BCTalkaccountforsale

Activity: 308
Merit: 101

View Profile
January 16, 2018, 02:08:13 PM

In some countries this is not possible because it is prohibited by the government, my country is one of which I am only allowed to exchange bitcoin and can not use it to pay for the sale. I always expect in the future my country will allow the use of bitcoin as a currency.
WNbahr

Activity: 107

View Profile
January 16, 2018, 02:14:04 PM

could be, in its function bitcoin already acted as the function of cash, but not all transactions. new on digital transactions and on certain places. but it takes a long time and technological support sufficient in various places around the world, it is still local, only a few places in certain countries. after the transaction facilities are evenly distributed and authorized by each government in each country, it can only replace the international cash function.
Igor Kapy

Activity: 21

View Profile
January 16, 2018, 02:14:27 PM

I think it's only a matter of time. In my view, will soon be introduced cards baconesque which you can pay with in stores for General use. There will be people who will be able to lend bitcoins, why not. Wish we were all citizens of one virtual state. We state only provides maybe in the future we will be able to get around it. This is the path to a world without borders
Chris314

Activity: 672
Merit: 266

View Profile
January 16, 2018, 02:14:56 PM

Right now, no, as said earlier, because of high tx fees that makes micro transactions impossible. It will be solved in the future with Lightning Network.
Remains another problem, volatility. With prices jumping up and down very often, it's not easy for sellers to accept bitcoin as the money in could lose part of its value very shortly.
We need first to biuld bitcoin as a real currency that can be used daily and worldwide. Then bitcoin will be naturally adopted by more and more people and its wider use will stabilise its price.

Win Free Bitcoins every hour! - www.freebitco.in
free BTC every hour multiply hi-lo weekly lottery WIN a Lamborghini 30,000 usd contest BET on various events! 4% APR interest
★★★ 50% of my referral earnings back to you each week ★★★
bitcoinFPT

Activity: 145
Merit: 2

View Profile
January 16, 2018, 02:30:25 PM

Bitcoin can not substitute for cash. you can imagine, you come to the grocery or go to the market with bitcoin to pay your bill that is impossible
bitart

Activity: 1442
Merit: 629

Vires in Numeris

View Profile
January 16, 2018, 10:21:48 PM

Sounds to me like you want the Lightning Network. Smiley
Lightning network will solve the fee and the speed problem of bitcoin. However, in order to use it like cash, there's a need from the merchants to accept is as a method of payment. Merchants will accept bitcoin in their shops if they can accept it legally, so regulations are needed. There's no reason for governments to ban bitcoin but to regulate, so this way they can tax it. Bitcoin will not replace cash, but it will replace some other transactions, where you use cash now or wire transfer, but cash will remain.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: