Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 05:44:05 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Is Spectrecoin a scam?
Yes - 13 (24.1%)
No - 32 (59.3%)
Maybe they magically found a way to make staking anonymous, but it can't be revealed until they're in the top 100 - 9 (16.7%)
Total Voters: 54

Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Is spectrecoin a scam?  (Read 1300 times)
generalizethis (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1750
Merit: 1036

Facts are more efficient than fud

View Profile WWW
January 16, 2018, 11:32:20 AM

It is interesting to see that the defenders of Spectrecoin vary in the claim that:
1. Spectrecoin has already its anonymity features.
2. Spectrecoin will implement its anonymity features in Q2 2018.
Here are people who are not related to the Spectrecoin community, such as generalizethis, they say lies and then they themselves refute their lie Grin https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2760432.msg28210253#msg28210253

What has already been implemented, and what will be implemented clearly visible on the official website: https://spectreproject.io/roadmap/
1. Spectrecoin has already its anonymity features: Ring-signatures, Stealth-addresses, Tor, OBFS4
2. Spectrecoin will implement its anonymity Innovative features that hasn't any other coins in Q2 2018: Stealth-staking

I lied? Or you misread?

I'm pretty sure you have a tenuous grasp of the English language.

Anyway, my point in the OP stands. Whether you like it or not, the dev is promising moon-features without outlining how that moon-feature will work--that's vaporware. And if he's aware that he can't build it (and not just stupid or arogant) that's a scam.

spectre_jbg

Activity: 27
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 16, 2018, 11:37:40 AM

It is interesting to see that the defenders of Spectrecoin vary in the claim that:

While there are (unfortunately) a lot of uninformed people that I wish would stop shilling, I think you might just be missing some subtlety here.

1. We already have transaction privacy enabled by ring signatures, and network privacy enabled by Tor+OBFS4.
2. We will gain stealth staking in Q2 2018. At present if one wishes to stake, one's coins must be held in public balances (XSPEC has both public and private balances).

If you have seen claims that contradict these facts, links would be appreciated so that I can set the record straight.
spectre_jbg

View Profile
January 16, 2018, 11:40:46 AM

The dev said he won't explain how anonymous staking is supposed to work, so yeah, that's all the proof I need--this looks like another scam.

I guess we have different definitions of "proof". Once again you are casually claiming that I said things that I didn't. People only need to read the thread above to see me saying that not only will a paper be released describing the method, but the source code will be open just like the rest of XSPEC's source code, allowing anybody to see the implementation of the method. Until then, feel free to have all the skepticism you want, but talking about "proof" is a bit extreme.

"won't explain right now because it would hand over the solution to much better-funded teams who can beat us to implementation" is a very different thing from "won't explain".
generalizethis (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 16, 2018, 11:44:08 AM

The dev said he won't explain how anonymous staking is supposed to work, so yeah, that's all the proof I need--this looks like another scam.

I guess we have different definitions of "proof". Once again you are casually claiming that I said things that I didn't. People only need to read the thread above to see me saying that not only will a paper be released describing the method, but the source code will be open just like the rest of XSPEC's source code, allowing anybody to see the implementation of the method. Until then, feel free to have all the skepticism you want, but talking about "proof" is a bit extreme.

"won't explain right now because it would hand over the solution to much better-funded teams who can beat us to implementation" is a very different thing from "won't explain".

How am I misrepresenting the situation?

There's a claim that anonymous staking is possible. yes/no

There's no math or white paper outlining how that is possible? yes/no

You don't get a delay when your shills are advertising the feature as if it's a 100% certainty. Either remove it or continue to get asked about how it works--there's no middleground here.

spectre_jbg

View Profile
January 16, 2018, 11:52:44 AM

How am I misrepresenting the situation?

By talking about proof and claiming that I "won't" explain as if it's a permanent state.

There's a claim that anonymous staking is possible. yes/no

Yes.

There's no math or white paper outlining how that is possible? yes/no

Not yet, but it will be released just before launch, when we can safely do it without losing the advantage to better-funded coins.

You don't get a delay when your shills are advertising the feature as if it's a 100% certainty. Either remove it or continue to get asked about how it works--there's no middleground here.

Sure, no problem. I have no problem with being asked how it works, and calmly explaining the (pretty understandable IMO) reason why we're not discussing that yet.

What I do have a problem with is accusations, claims that you have some "proof" that the coin we're working hard on is a "scam", and being held responsible for the actions of idiot shills that don't even understand the coin they're shilling about. These people care about nothing but price, whereas us two developers don't even hold much XSPEC, are funded by donations, and gain very little if the price goes up. Our interests (developing good technology) are not aligned with the shills at all, and we wish they would STFU, but there's not much we can do.
generalizethis (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 16, 2018, 11:56:53 AM

@spectre_jbg

You have a major claim (anonymous staking) either back it up or continue to get scrutinized. I'm calling scam until your remove the claim or back it up. If what you say is true, then just remove it and get the benefit when you release it. Right now it looks like you want the investors without the scrutiny--sorry, that's not how it works. Big claims come with a lot of eyes watching you.

spectre_jbg

View Profile
January 16, 2018, 12:21:53 PM

@spectre_jbg

You have a major claim (anonymous staking) either back it up or continue to get scrutinized. I'm calling scam until your remove the claim or back it up. If what you say is true, then just remove it and get the benefit when you release it. Right now it looks like you want the investors without the scrutiny--sorry, that's not how it works. Big claims come with a lot of eyes watching you.

We're not going to remove a major feature that we're working on from the roadmap just because it makes people ask questions. It would be hard to explain to people what we're spending all our time doing, for one thing. The questions are no problem, neither are the eyes watching. They can keep watching for a few months and then have their questions answered; I don't see any problem with that.

Incidentally, when did I ever say I wanted the investors without the scrutiny? If I were in your position, I'd certainly wait until I read the whitepaper before investing. But I wouldn't go around swinging wild accusations of "scam" at a coin that I know very little about.
generalizethis (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 16, 2018, 12:23:26 PM

Here are people who are not related to the Spectrecoin community, such as generalizethis, they say lies and then they themselves refute their lie Grin https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2760432.msg28210253#msg28210253

What has already been implemented, and what will be implemented clearly visible on the official website: https://spectreproject.io/roadmap/
1. Spectrecoin has already its anonymity features: Ring-signatures, Stealth-addresses, Tor, OBFS4
2. Spectrecoin will implement its anonymity Innovative features that hasn't any other coins in Q2 2018: Stealth-staking

I lied? Or you misread?

I'm pretty sure you have a tenuous grasp of the English language.

Anyway, my point in the OP stands. Whether you like it or not, the dev is promising moon-features without outlining how that moon-feature will work--that's vaporware. And if he's aware that he can't build it (and not just stupid or arogant) that's a scam.

You lied that stealth staking is implemented: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2760432.msg28204155#msg28204155
you could not even go to the site and see the roadmap, your just anthoughtless and emotional hater: https://spectreproject.io/roadmap/
Spectrecoin already has features (Ring-signatures, Stealth-addresses, Tor, OBFS4) that much better than in other much more expensive coins. When the factory already produces a Mercedes S-class $150 K (analogy Ring-sig, Stealth-address, Tor, OBFS4), and promises in the future to release a Mercedes-Maybach S600 Pullman $1 Million (analogy Stealth-staking), following your logic a Mercedes S-class is scam - only very stupid people will listen to you.
Why do you want stealth-staking if you can't even get any IP or TX data when I do conventional staking? I wrote you my address: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2760432.msg28208865#msg28208865 It is obvious that you do not possess the technical knowledge.

I changed the OP--but thought that it would be read as a claim and not an implementation, but I can see how you misread it--though wonder why I would be questioning its existence, if it already existed? Seems a dumb thing to have to point out, but there you go--good luck misreading it and using that as an attack vector.

As for spectrecoin's other features, who cares? That is not what the thread is asking--though I wonder how any coin calls itself private and has a richlist. See "RICH LIST" "LARGEST WALLETS" https://chainz.cryptoid.info/xspec/

Meanwhile, the major point in all this, no one being able to explain how anonymous staking works, gets buried by shills talking around it.

generalizethis (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 16, 2018, 12:28:16 PM

@spectre_jbg

We're not going to remove a major feature that we're working on from the roadmap just because it makes people ask questions. It would be hard to explain to people what we're spending all our time doing, for one thing. The questions are no problem, neither are the eyes watching. They can keep watching for a few months and then have their questions answered; I don't see any problem with that.

Incidentally, when did I ever say I wanted the investors without the scrutiny? If I were in your position, I'd certainly wait until I read the whitepaper before investing. But I wouldn't go around swinging wild accusations of "scam" at a coin that I know very little about.

You never needed to say it--it's implied when you complain about it. If you don't like me calling it a scam, post proof and shut me up.

I know enough to know anonymous staking is something only a genius could build, and the more you complain about scam accusations and the inability to control your shills, the less genius you sound.

spectre_jbg

View Profile
January 16, 2018, 12:36:16 PM

As for spectrecoin's other features, who cares? That is not what the thread is asking--though I wonder how any coin calls itself private and has a richlist. See "RICH LIST" "LARGEST WALLETS" https://chainz.cryptoid.info/xspec/

off the topic of the thread, but as I mentioned already (and as a tiny bit of research could have told you) xspec has both private and public balances. the largest wallets are definitely not accurate, as for any blockchain, and the richlist isn't either as it's impossible to determine private balances to take them into account. just because an (unofficial) block explorer decides to display something, doesn't make it accurate.
spectre_jbg

View Profile
January 16, 2018, 12:39:33 PM

You never needed to say it--it's implied when you complain about it. If you don't like me calling it a scam, post proof and shut me up.

I know enough to know anonymous staking is something only a genius could build, and the more you complain about scam accusations and the inability to control your shills, the less genius you sound.

Not sure what "genius" has to do with being able to stop idiots from shilling, but suit yourself. I'm out. See you in a few months Smiley
generalizethis (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 16, 2018, 12:42:06 PM

off the topic of the thread, but as I mentioned already (and as a tiny bit of research could have told you) xspec has both private and public balances. the largest wallets are definitely not accurate, as for any blockchain, and the richlist isn't either as it's impossible to determine private balances to take them into account. just because an (unofficial) block explorer decides to display something, doesn't make it accurate.

Optional privacy isn't optimal privacy--even zcash figured that out...eventually.

No offense, but if you couldn't figure that out to begin with, I really doubt that you are offering best in class privacy anytime soon. And especially not a major find like anonymous staking.

Is there any cryptographer attached to the project? And is there proof they exist and are working with you? I don't trust anything you say atm, so pointless to just make another claim without evidence.

AlexeyB

Activity: 169
Merit: 17

View Profile
January 16, 2018, 12:44:07 PM

Also all addresses are visible in a truly privacy Monero, and these addresses can be sorted by making a rich list, only it will not give you anything in Monero or Sepctrecoin: https://moneroexplorer.com/tx/84ea5936b2864709fe21ece3be8cb683d356f1f83cb5851ecbd4ee104012c583
stealth address: b5ada231ffb6e1a83430e038847e91e6d734d6bc58287b4e693f12823732f947
amount: 5.532506139280 XMR
Do you really do not know how stealth addresses work? You can not relate (Monero or Spectrecoin) stealth-addresses in the wallet and addresses in the block-explorer, learn at least something about it, you look like this dude who saw the addresses and the amount of money in the Monero-block-explorer and believes that Monero is not a privacy cryptocurrency: https://www.reddit.com/r/Monero/comments/70v9d7/if_monero_is_private_then_what_is_this_someone/
generalizethis (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 16, 2018, 12:47:57 PM
Last edit: January 16, 2018, 01:01:16 PM by generalizethis

Also all addresses are visible in a truly privacy Monero, and these addresses can be sorted by making a rich list, only it will not give you anything in Monero or Sepctrecoin: https://moneroexplorer.com/tx/84ea5936b2864709fe21ece3be8cb683d356f1f83cb5851ecbd4ee104012c583
stealth address: b5ada231ffb6e1a83430e038847e91e6d734d6bc58287b4e693f12823732f947
Do you really do not know how stealth addresses work? You can not relate (Monero or Spectrecoin) stealth-addresses in the wallet and addresses in the block-explorer, learn at least something about it, you look like this dude who saw the addresses and the amount of money in the Monero-block-explorer and believes that Monero is not a privacy cryptocurrency: https://www.reddit.com/r/Monero/comments/70v9d7/if_monero_is_private_then_what_is_this_someone/

Is Monero mentioned in the OP? Thanks for trying to get offtopic.

Optional privacy is the difference and why there can be linkage with spectrecoin--remove that before you claim to be a privacy coin. I understand that ALL addresses should be stealth addresses and the ones that aren't private create richlists and limit the anonymity set. But thanks for trying to read my mind.

Back on topic:

Does spectrecoin have a solution for anonymous staking?

I'm betting, no,  when they can't even figure out that all wallets should be stealth if your goal is privacy.

ohliuw

Activity: 23

View Profile
January 16, 2018, 12:53:33 PM

jbg,

there is no point arguing with this paid Monero troll generalizethis.

The paid trolls must be losing their minds over losing their income due to the market meltdown. He has no arguments other than offending the members of the XSPEC community, which grows by the hour.

Please keep up the good work and ignore the paid whores
 Wink

ohliuw

View Profile
January 16, 2018, 12:56:35 PM

Is Monero mentioned in the OP? Thanks for trying to get offtopic.

Relax dood, maybe after the market completely melts down, you will be able to find a job as real companion, not as a paid Monero troll.

Don't lose your mind over your lost kopeiki!
langdong

Activity: 196
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 16, 2018, 01:10:53 PM

I can't really say if it's a scam or not but I will definitively stay away from it. Why?

Well, firstly I find it very suspicious that so many people here (often with a very low activity, new accounts) shill it so hard. I read it everywhere. Take any thread, you'll find Spectrecoin in it. Now you might say this is a good thing. Not for me, it only makes me personally very suspicious. I'm pretty sure that some people get paid to promote this coin. And even create new accounts for that.
2.: I don't buy any coins or tokens where I can't find the team on the website within seconds. And actually you find nothing about the team at all on the website.
3.: Another privacy coin? Really? Don't we already have thousands of them? Who will ever use them? No one I guess.
4.: It kind of reminds me of TRX, XRB, XRP and XVG. Which for me isn't a good thing. I think a lot of new people who don't have that much experience in crypto buy it.

Until now most of my investments were rock-solid and I won't change that. So if Spectrecoin flies to the moon, congrats to all the people on board. I'll gladly pass and watch it take off from earth then.
ohliuw

View Profile
January 16, 2018, 01:31:19 PM

I can't really say if it's a scam or not but I will definitively stay away from it. Why?

Well, firstly I find it very suspicious that so many people here (often with a very low activity, new accounts) shill it so hard. I read it everywhere. Take any thread, you'll find Spectrecoin in it. Now you might say this is a good thing. Not for me, it only makes me personally very suspicious. I'm pretty sure that some people get paid to promote this coin. And even create new accounts for that.
2.: I don't buy any coins or tokens where I can't find the team on the website within seconds. And actually you find nothing about the team at all on the website.
3.: Another privacy coin? Really? Don't we already have thousands of them? Who will ever use them? No one I guess.
4.: It kind of reminds me of TRX, XRB, XRP and XVG. Which for me isn't a good thing. I think a lot of new people who don't have that much experience in crypto buy it.

Until now most of my investments were rock-solid and I won't change that. So if Spectrecoin flies to the moon, congrats to all the people on board. I'll gladly pass and watch it take off from earth then.

There is a reason behind it. Nobody gets paid as nobody has the budget to pay. The dev team took over the project has zero premined coins. They only get coins from donations from staking. No budget to pay marketing, so the community behind it is trying to raise awareness.

I checked you post, and you seem to be promoting your hodlings in every thread (- IOTA - Lisk- Neo- Sonm- Shift- Nebulas- Stratis- DragonChain) - by your logic, does this mean they are scam and you are paid to do it?

generalizethis (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 16, 2018, 01:38:04 PM

jbg,

there is no point arguing with this paid Monero troll generalizethis.

The paid trolls must be losing their minds over losing their income due to the market meltdown. He has no arguments other than offending the members of the XSPEC community, which grows by the hour.

Please keep up the good work and ignore the paid whores
 Wink

I'm a paid troll now? Good god you guys are desperate for a narrative.

Here's a narrative:

Spectrecoin Devs claim to have solved anonymous staking
I ask for proof and get told the dev will explain,
dev won't explain how it works.

You can try to label me--whatever--but at the end of the day you have a major claim and no math to back up that claim, it's vaporware. And if the devs know they can't build it, it's a scam.

Think of it this way, you are getting a reduced price on a world changing technology if the devs pull it off. Too bad you'll have to wait a few months to see if you are getting swindled or not.

NeverSop

Activity: 518
Merit: 11

HODL

View Profile
January 16, 2018, 01:58:33 PM

There is a reason behind it. Nobody gets paid as nobody has the budget to pay. The dev team took over the project has zero premined coins. They only get coins from donations from staking. No budget to pay marketing, so the community behind it is trying to raise awareness.

I checked you post, and you seem to be promoting your hodlings in every thread (- IOTA - Lisk- Neo- Sonm- Shift- Nebulas- Stratis- DragonChain) - by your logic, does this mean they are scam and you are paid to do it?

I do not think Spectrecoin is a scam because it is growing quite well in the market. I do not understand what you get and say that Spectrecoin is a scam. I hope you have a better view of new projects, do not put too much pressure on them. I think the Spectrecoin team will have a way to promote their coin during this time.

Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: