Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 02:04:01 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Miner reboots with 6 cards.  (Read 128 times)
chrusso (OP)

Activity: 134
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 15, 2018, 07:31:58 PM

Hi everyone,

I'm running simple mining OS with the following hardware:

- 6 Sapphire Pulse Rx580 8GB (overclocked using PBE and ATIWinflash)
- MSI Z270 Gaming Plus (Mobo)
- Celeron G3930
- PSU: GSP1050-HM (1050W) Modular, 80Plus
- DDR4 Crucial 4GB.

If I disconnect 1 card, any card, it works without any problem... now, with 6 cards, it works for about 3 mins and the reboots, starts again... works a few mins, reboots...

I'm suspecting it could be the motherboard BIOS which I didn't update... also thought about the PSU, but it should be alright?

Any idea is welcome!
Kind regards;
Chris

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Be very wary of relying on JavaScript for security on crypto sites. The site can change the JavaScript at any time unless you take unusual precautions, and browsers are not generally known for their airtight security.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
CryptoWatcher420

Activity: 462
Merit: 258

Small Time Miner, Rig Builder, Crypto Trader

View Profile
January 15, 2018, 07:41:30 PM

Hi everyone,

I'm running simple mining OS with the following hardware:

- 6 Sapphire Pulse Rx580 8GB (overclocked using PBE and ATIWinflash)
- MSI Z270 Gaming Plus (Mobo)
- Celeron G3930
- PSU: GSP1050-HM (1050W) Modular, 80Plus
- DDR4 Crucial 4GB.

If I disconnect 1 card, any card, it works without any problem... now, with 6 cards, it works for about 3 mins and the reboots, starts again... works a few mins, reboots...

I'm suspecting it could be the motherboard BIOS which I didn't update... also thought about the PSU, but it should be alright?

Any idea is welcome!
Kind regards;
Chris

1050w psu id bet that's the problem, you are running that psu past 80 percent, get a 1200w psu,

6pin to EPS 12v 4+4pin w/pigtail & 2.5mm barrel plug for Pico Psu for SERVER PSU ONLY GPU MINING RIGS! | Donations: BTC-  | Join Me on Discord! https://discord.gg/VDwWFcK
chrusso (OP)

View Profile
January 15, 2018, 07:48:19 PM

1050w psu id bet that's the problem, you are running that psu past 80 percent, get a 1200w psu,

I'll try to replace the PSU and see how it goes...
Cereberus
Legendary

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 15, 2018, 07:56:43 PM

A chipset Z270 should have no problem running even more than 6 cards through M2 slot. I bet it is the PSU because the RX 580 consume a lot of energy and they are heavy on the PSU. Corsair HX 1200 i is tested personally by me with same motherboard and same processor and is running perfectly. My only difference is I have 8 GB of RAM but reboots usually are from the PSU.

██    ██    ██    ██
  ██    ██    ██    ██
██    ██    ██    ██
              ██    ██
            ██    ██
          ██    ██
        ██    ██
      ██    ██       
    ██    ██    ██    ██
  ██    ██    ██    ██
██    ██    ██    ██
TRADEPLAYZ
█ 
█ 
█     
█  █
█  █ 
█  █ 
█  █
    █  █
  █  █
  █  █
        █
    █
      █   
TOURNAMENT PVP SYSTEM
  FACEBOOK |  TWITTER  |  LINKEDIN  |  TELEGRAM  |  GITHUB  |  ANN  | INSTAGRAM 

█ 
█ 
█     
█  █
█  █ 
█  █ 
█  █
    █  █
  █  █
  █  █
        █
    █
      █   

█▄
                     ████▄
                     ██████▄
                     ████████▄
                     ██████████▄
                     ████████████▄
                     ██████████████▄
                     ███████████████
                     ██████████████▀
                     ████████████▀
                     ██████████▀
                     ████████▀
                     ██████▀
                     ████▀
                     █
█▀
GOOGLE PLAY

▄█████████████▄
                            ███████████████
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            ██████▀▀▀██████
                             ▀████▄▄▄▄████▀
  APPSTORE
CryptoWatcher420

View Profile
January 15, 2018, 08:07:28 PM

A chipset Z270 should have no problem running even more than 6 cards through M2 slot. I bet it is the PSU because the RX 580 consume a lot of energy and they are heavy on the PSU. Corsair HX 1200 i is tested personally by me with same motherboard and same processor and is running perfectly. My only difference is I have 8 GB of RAM but reboots usually are from the PSU.

if he doesn't have them undervolted even a 1200w psu wont cut it, I know because ive got un modded rx480's and rx 580 SE's, 1200w isn't enough for unmodded rx series gpus

and yeah my rigs also use 8gb of ram, hell with any fool that uses 4gb that's just dumb cause you NEED to have a large pagefile at that point which will slow down the system if it has to use the pagefile which it will since people that use 4gb, smart ones know better than to use a huge pagefile, my rigs have a 16gb pagefile but I'm not sure it actually uses it since I have 8gb of ram installed on my rigs, heck one of them even has 16gb ram, I run into zero issues that yall run into. pagefiles can make systems very unstable, especially if you make it way bigger than say just 16gb considering SSD's and traditional hard drives are SLOWER than physical ram, so why would anyone want to use a pagefile aside from there too much of a cheap ass to do it right so they don't run into problems down the road

6pin to EPS 12v 4+4pin w/pigtail & 2.5mm barrel plug for Pico Psu for SERVER PSU ONLY GPU MINING RIGS! | Donations: BTC-  | Join Me on Discord! https://discord.gg/VDwWFcK
chrusso (OP)

View Profile
January 15, 2018, 08:31:45 PM

Alright, so... replace the PSU for 1200W and replace the RAM for 8GB.

I'll update here after testing.

kind regards;
Chris
chrusso (OP)

View Profile
January 16, 2018, 05:16:49 AM

Replaced the PSU GSP1050-HM for a NZXT Hale90 (1200W) and it runs without any problem...
Same performance with Crucial 4GB as Corsair 8Gb.

The problem is that the NZXT Hale90 (1200W) is about twice the price...

I'll see if I can undervolt them a bit...

Kind regards;
Chris
CryptoWatcher420

View Profile
January 16, 2018, 05:55:23 AM

Replaced the PSU GSP1050-HM for a NZXT Hale90 (1200W) and it runs without any problem...

Kind regards;
Chris

that's why ive moved to using server psu's and breakout boards, soo much cheaper but downside is for the wattage we need server psu's 1200w+ need a 240v circuit , most of my rigs run with this type of setup, picked up a dell 1400w server psu for 58 dollars and a breakout board for I think it was 12 bucks or so, way cheaper than trying to buy a 1200w atx psu that will cost you an arm and a leg

CryptoWatcher420

View Profile
January 16, 2018, 06:04:49 AM

Kind regards;
Chris

as far as performance goes youll only really see different when booting or loading programs, that and other certain things. having 8gb ram just means you can have less of a pagefile as windows will use the physical RAM first and whatever can fit on the ram goes into the pagefile, I'm a pc tech first and foremost, ram is just something I make sure is good, I mean what good is a rig that boots slow cause its got a ram bottleneck, its like the little difference between using an intel Pentium dual core cpu and a dual core Celeron, which again is all a performance on certain things like booting, loading of miner program is where youll see a speedup difference depending on the ram you've got, me I sometimes tend to get the max speed ram the mobo can handle and usually dual channel kit too, not a single channel kit. dual channel ram kit allows for more data bandwith, double that of single channel actually. danm rigs boot up quick. for me I can justify the little extra, I don't run into problems at all, I also can see the performance difference between using 4gb vs 8gb and Celeron vs Pentium and single channel ram vs dual channel ram

tyrionfromwest

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 16, 2018, 06:05:22 AM

Kind regards;
Chris
did you set all of your cards performance at 100% usage? i mean how you set your cards? auto or make a limit in usage percentage ?
CryptoWatcher420

View Profile
January 16, 2018, 06:19:05 AM

Kind regards;
Chris
did you set all of your cards performance at 100% usage? i mean how you set your cards? auto or make a limit in usage percentage ?

as far as I know they use 100 percent, but as I mentioned already I keep mine on stock settings. also good time to note that I don't mine eth either, I be mining equihash and I get the speeds that I'm supposed too

chrusso (OP)

View Profile
January 31, 2018, 02:18:30 AM

Just to update: I solved this problem by undervolting the cards. I'm running 6 x Rx580 in a 1050W PSU without issues.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: