Bitcoin Forum
June 15, 2024, 01:59:56 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Are Hardware Wallets fully Safe?!  (Read 264 times)
micrypto (OP)

Activity: 55
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 15, 2018, 08:02:00 PM

Are Hardware Wallets fully Safe and impossible to hack even by the creator?!

Many people trusts in hardware wallets but what will happen if the creator is an evil?! .

I think he/they can easily stolen bitcoins!

_ATOmix_

Activity: 110
Merit: 11

View Profile
January 15, 2018, 08:17:12 PM

No hardware is safe, almost nobody knew about Intel chip vulnerability until a few months ago, a vulnerability that chips that go back to 1995 have.
Vansire

Activity: 238
Merit: 102

View Profile
January 15, 2018, 08:23:20 PM
Last edit: February 03, 2018, 12:52:42 AM by Vansire

I was wondering about that too. You'll have to trust the manufacturer to have top notch security, and you have to trust the seller to not have tampered with the device. Which happened with wallets sold through eBay. The seller secretly modified the device, the buyer thought he got a great deal, but that changed once all his coins were gone.

X I W Λ T T                  TELEGRAM        MEDIUM        TWITTER        FACEBOOK                   WHITEPAPER     
A Platform that Enables Individuals & Communities to Crowdfund, Co-own & Trade Renewable Energy Assets
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀     [ PRE-SALE ]    C O M I N G   S O O N     ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
CryptoBeefy

Activity: 378
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 15, 2018, 08:23:42 PM

You can never say anything is 100% safe ... The same way any piece of tech is not completely foolproof. With things like this though, never buy cheap and unknown, read reviews and ALWAYS buy direct from the manufacturer, never 2nd hand as who knows whether that has been tampered with or not.
I.Grozni

Activity: 588
Merit: 286

Coinomi multi-coin HD wallet

View Profile
January 15, 2018, 08:55:12 PM

Nothing is completely safe. Sooner or later you have to link your wallet to your computer to buy another currency or transfer money into the Fiat currency. At that moment your hardware wallet and your coins are exposed like all other wallets. I believe that it is only a matter of time when viruses for hardware wallets will appear.
DanielRR1997

Activity: 196
Merit: 14

View Profile
January 15, 2018, 08:58:24 PM

Hardware wallets are typically as safe as isolated minimalist computers can be - the code is widely auditable and on the Ledger side we're using smartcards to add additional protections against physical tampering and possible software exploits (the keys live in a specific area of the operating system that's only accessible by following a given code execution path, guaranteed both by software and hardware)

When using a paper wallet you trust the environment you're using it on both when generating the keys and when spending - it's possible to be safe if you audit the key generation code carefully and maintain a perfect digital hygiene when spending (always sign offline on a non updated computer to avoid malware, then broadcast), it's also easier to use them on ETH than it is on BTC and BTC alts but still nowhere as convenient as a hardware wallet, especially when the device can be used for multiple isolated tasks beyond just ETH (ERC-20 tokens, other cryptocurrencies, SSH, GPG ...)
iigor

Activity: 434
Merit: 105

View Profile
January 15, 2018, 09:04:35 PM

Nothing is 100% safe. Not even if it is in a bank vault. If you are sloppy, problems are coming your way. So it is safe as much as you are careful.

Be more careful, be safer.

Drnice

Activity: 588
Merit: 251

View Profile
January 15, 2018, 09:05:17 PM

There is nothing made by man that is completely safe. If you get your hardware wallet directly from the manufacturer, it is better than a second used wallet and also better than a web-wallet.
GreatOrchid
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 15, 2018, 09:06:30 PM

yes, why wouldn't they be? Hardware wallets are the most safest option in order to protect all your cryptos, if you do not trust this, then it is simple, just print a paper wallet.

But hardware wallets are very noob-friendly, and anyone can use them easily,and they are very cheap too, $70 for a huge protection is NOTHING.
Hoho29

Activity: 145
Merit: 10

HalommmmE is my LOVE

View Profile
January 15, 2018, 09:08:20 PM

Nothing is completely safe. Sooner or later you have to link your wallet to your computer to buy another currency or transfer money into the Fiat currency. At that moment your hardware wallet and your coins are exposed like all other wallets. I believe that it is only a matter of time when viruses for hardware wallets will appear.
i don't agree with you on this ,hardware wallet like TREZOR is safer than you think with multi encryption offline keys . it is not safe only if someone buy used hardware wallet where the previous owner can retrieve new updated balance .  

⚡⚡ PRiVCY ⚡⚡   ▂▃▅▆█ ✅ PRiVCY (PRIV) is a new PoW/PoS revolutionary privacy project ● ☞ ✅ Best privacy crypto-market! ● █▆▅▃▂
    Own Your Privacy! ─────────────────║ WebsiteGithub  |  Bitcointalk  |  Twitter  |  Discord  |  Explorer ║─────────────────
   ✯✯✯✯✯                 ✈✈✈[Free Airdrop - Starts 9th June]✅[Tor]✈✈✈ ║───────────║ Wallet ➢ ✓ Windows  |  ✓ macOS  |  ✓ Linux
RandomEvent

Activity: 146
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 15, 2018, 09:11:43 PM

Its all about levels of trust. Nothing in life is 100% secure when humans are involved. However, I think right now hardware wallets are your safest bet.
pacifiko

Activity: 51
Merit: 1

View Profile
January 15, 2018, 09:19:00 PM

Of course no wallet give you 100% security. But hardware wallet one of the most safety. For example, ledger nano s, trezor. I recommend ledger.
thesmallgod

Activity: 1498
Merit: 129

View Profile
January 15, 2018, 09:21:15 PM

Just like many people have said here on forum nothing is 100 percent safe but hardware wallet is safer than any other type of wallet
charlie137

Activity: 1204
Merit: 220

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ

View Profile WWW
January 15, 2018, 09:39:48 PM

if i know your public address, i can get access to your funds by finding private key to this address no matter where data stored. this is true for every coin that was built with current cryptography platforms

/__      ___ (  /    
\\--`-'-|`---\\ |      AXErunners
 |' _/   ` __/ / 
 '._  W    ,--'     
    |_:_._/
bitcoinmaniac52

Activity: 532
Merit: 250

Presale is live!

View Profile
January 15, 2018, 09:44:51 PM

Nothing is full safe. This is a simple fact. When you think your BTC is 100% safe, you aren't being cautious enough.

▄▄█████████▄▄      █████████████▄▄       █████████████▄▄        █████     █████        █████   ███████████████████    ██▄                ▄██
   ███████████████▄    ████████████████▄     ████████████████▄      █████     ██████       █████   ███████████████████    ████▄            ▄████
  █████▀     ▀▀███▀    █████     ▀▀█████▄    █████     ▀▀█████▄     █████     ███████      █████          █████           ██████▄        ▄██████
 █████          ▀      █████        ▀▀▀▀▀    ▀▀▀▀▀        ▀▀▀██     █████     ████████     █████          █████           ████████▄    ▄████████
 █████▄                ███▀▀                                          ▀▀█     █████████    █████          █████            ▀██████▀    ▀██████▀
 ▀██████▄▄               ▄▄▄        ▄████    ▄▄▄▄▄        ▄▄▄       ▄         ██████████   █████          █████              ▀██▀  ▄██▄  ▀██▀
  ▀█████████▄▄         █████     ▄▄█████▀    █████     ▄▄█████▀     ███▄▄       ▀▀█ █████  █████          █████                  ▄██████▄
     ▀▀█████▀  ▄▄▄     ████████████████▀     ████████████████▀      █████     ▄▄     ▀▀▀██ █████          █████                ▄██████████▄
         ▀▀ ▄█████▄    █████████████▀▀       ██████████████▀        █████     ████▄       ▀▀▀███          █████              ▄██████████████▄
             ▀█████    █████                 █████     █████        █████     █████    ▄▄▄                █████            ▄████████▀▀████████▄
 ▄█▄          █████    █████                 █████      █████       █████     █████     █████▄▄▄
          █████           ████████▀    ▀████████
▄████▄▄     ▄█████     █████                 █████       █████      █████     █████      ███████
          ▀████           ██████▀        ▀██████
▀████████████████      █████                 █████        █████     █████     █████       ██████
            ▀██           ████▀            ▀████
  ▀▀██████████▀▀       █████                 █████         █████    █████     █████        █████
              ▀           ██▀                ▀██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

██
    ██
   ██
  ██
 ██
██
 ██
  ██
   ██
    ██
     ██
Whitepaper
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
ANN Thread

██
 ██
  ██
   ██
    ██
     ██
    ██
   ██
  ██
 ██
██

Telegram
Facebook
Twitter
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
cryptodrei

Activity: 207

The future is your Genome

View Profile
January 15, 2018, 10:40:23 PM

Yes sure they are secured like bank's vault,just secured you private keys and dont phishing sites get your keys.

marks1976

Activity: 893

View Profile
January 15, 2018, 10:55:08 PM

Many people trusts in hardware wallets but what will happen if the creator is an evil?! .

I'm not sure about that but i was learning from someone that bought second-hand nano ledger and then the first user of that nano ledger is exploiting the wallet and then the buyer lost a lot of money.
But trezor is having a better security rather than nano ledger and you must buy it.

▄██████
      ▄█▀██████
    ▄█▀  ██████
  ▄█▀    ██████
▄██▄▄▄▄▄▄██████
███████████████
███████████████
███████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
███████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
███████
███████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
███████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
████████████
███████████████
 ▀█████████████

<█▄▄▄

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █▄▄▄▄

▄▄▄▄▄ █▄▄▄▄▄

│   ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ▄▄▄▄▄(▄▄▄
$▄▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄▄▄▄, █▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ $▄▄▄▄▄▄: ▄▄▄▄▄
│   █
│   │   //█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
│   │   $▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄_▄▄▄(▄▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄▄▄▄, █████████▄█████▄███████):
│   │   $▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄▄ ▄▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄($▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ - > ▄▄▄▄▄()) ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄:
│   │   ▄▄ (!$▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄▄▄▄ !$▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄▄▄) █
│   │      ▄▄▄▄▄▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄
│   │   █

▄███▄        ▄███▄
     ▄███████▄    ▄███████▄
     █████████    █████████
      ███████      ███████
       ▀▀▀▀▀        ▀▀▀▀▀
 ▄▄████▄▄▄▄▄█▀ ▄▄████▄▄▄▄████▄▄
█████████▀███ ██████████████████
███████▀  ███ ██████████████████
       ▄█ 
    ▄▄███▄▄▄▄▄▄        █▄
    ▀█████████▀   ▄▄▄▄▄███▄
      ▀██       ▄███████████
        ▀              ███▀
                       ▀

P2P CASH
▄▄▄▄▄▄ Send money worldwide fast ▄▄▄▄▄▄

███████████████████▄
█████████████████████
████           ▀██████
████             ██████
████              █████
████             ▄█████      ▄
████            ▄██████    ▄██
████     ▄▄▄▄▄████████    ▄███
████   ▄████████████▀   ▄█████
████ ▄███████████▀▀   ▄███████
██████████▀         ▄█████████
████████▀  ▄▄███████████▀ ████
██████▀  ▄████████████▀   ████
████▀   ███████▀▀▀▀▀▀     ████
██▀    ██████▀            ████
▀      █████              ████
       █████              ████
       █████▄             ████
       ▀██████▄           ████
        ▀█████████████████████
          ▀███████████████████
  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ safe an easy with P2P ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
P2P is the open source smart
contract platform
fully dedicated to
international money transactions

▄▄██▄▄▄▄▄▄██▄▄
  ████████████████
 ██████████████████
▄████▄  ███▄  ▄████▄
█████▄  ███▄  ▄█████
████████████████████
 ▄████  ▄▄▄▄  ████▄

▄      ▄███▄▄
██▄▄▄ ██████▀
████████████
 ██████████▀
   ███████▀
 ▄█████▀▀

▄▄
       ▄▄▄█████
  ▄▄▄███▀▀▄███
▀▀███▀ ▄██████
    █ ███████
     ██▀▀▀███
           ▀▀
███

███
██████████████████████████

JOIN

██████████████████████████
███
  █
  █
  █
  █
  █
███
bakulgarem

Activity: 361

BIB Exchange

View Profile
January 15, 2018, 11:01:42 PM

I think it's pretty safe because there is enough hardware security unlike the free wallets we have.

███     WHITEPAPER  |    TELEGRAM    ███ █     BiB Exchange     █ ███     TWITTER     |   INSTAGRAM     ███
S e t   O f f   t h e   W e b 3   G e n e r a t i o n   N o w
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄  ▄   ►► Powered by BOUNTY DETECTIVE   ▄  ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
IAM-JOSEPH

Activity: 27
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 15, 2018, 11:29:47 PM

I'm new but I was wondering if..

do you prefer to keep your coins in your Hardware Wallet? or maybe use online wallet?

I'm just worried if ever I lost the Hardware Wallet. then I'm not sure whats gonna happen.  Huh
hieu81

Activity: 518

View Profile
January 15, 2018, 11:45:47 PM

No wallet fully safe! May be hack via internet or by pass! I need to hold your private key! May be you can used off line wallet!
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: