Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 03:44:05 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Are exchanges safe even if it's decentralised exchange like etherdelta or idex?  (Read 124 times)
mdayonliner (OP)
Copper Member

Activity: 630
Merit: 420

We are Bitcoin!

View Profile
January 27, 2018, 08:32:11 PM
Last edit: January 29, 2018, 10:12:49 PM by mdayonliner

This really worries me... for a day trader, your crypto needs to be in the exchanges. We have witnessed exchanges get hacked and when it happens we fear to lose our asset coz with exchanges you do not own any private key.

I do not know how exactly these decentralised exchanges like etherdelta, idex works. I only understand that they are decentralised but on the other day when I was trying to trade some ICO coins in idex then I had to deposit my coin to idex which means I let have them my coins.

Is there any possibility for these decentralised exchanges to get hacked like the centralised exchanges?   This question always wonders me. Am i really safe keeping my crypto in the exchanges?

I imagine my cryptos are in my hardware wallet but still I can trade them like I do in exchanges. (I am day dreaming  Undecided )

Congrats to those who are holding their coins for long term in the cold storage not worrying about your crypto like me.  

Be happy be at peace. Looking forward to BTC at $1M
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
randee888

Activity: 88
Merit: 12

View Profile
January 27, 2018, 09:04:34 PM

Some of them really safe some not, dont rely so much on it only move your balance to an exchange only if you need to trade your token or coin there. Even Etherdelta itself allready hacked like two times as i know, if im wrong correct me please. But seriously if you care about your money never store it in an exchanger.
surfinonmyownwavebaby

Activity: 252
Merit: 104

Decentralized Ecosystem for User-Generated Content

View Profile
January 27, 2018, 09:17:03 PM

There is a possibility of them getting hacked because just a couple weeks back EtherDelta did get hacked! So just because they are decentralized doesn't mean they are impervious to hacking.

R E O S         [   A BLOCKCHAIN-BASED ECOSYSTEM FOR USER-GENERATED CONTENT   ]     JOIN NOW!
Introducing REOSchain™   |  The blockchain that digs out the true value of social media content

WHITEPAPER                    TELEGRAM                     TWITTER                     LINKEDIN                     GITHUB
ene1980

Activity: 2002
Merit: 535

View Profile
January 27, 2018, 09:30:50 PM

There is a possibility of them getting hacked because just a couple weeks back EtherDelta did get hacked! So just because they are decentralized doesn't mean they are impervious to hacking.
I have not heard anything about the ether delta hack,the risk with these kind of exchange is that we are using our private keys to log into the site and i think that will back fire in the future if you are holding your coins in that wallet,you never know what will happen at any given stage,just make sure you trade carefully and it looks like the hackers are having the last laugh because these exchanges are not taking security seriously.
vdiablo3

Activity: 274
Merit: 10

Your Data Belongs To You

View Profile
January 27, 2018, 09:48:57 PM

I have not heard anything about the ether delta hack,the risk with these kind of exchange is that we are using our private keys to log into the site and i think that will back fire in the future if you are holding your coins in that wallet,you never know what will happen at any given stage,just make sure you trade carefully and it looks like the hackers are having the last laugh because these exchanges are not taking security seriously.

The attacker managed to take over EtherDelta's DNS server and serve a fake version of the site to visitors. Anyone who interacted with the fake site sent private keys to the hacker.

mdayonliner (OP)
Copper Member

Activity: 630
Merit: 420

We are Bitcoin!

View Profile
January 28, 2018, 04:54:16 PM

Well this is really sad. I am really worried now about the transaction I made on the other day with Idex.

Be happy be at peace. Looking forward to BTC at $1M
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: