Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 03:26:27 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How much is this GPU going to suck? Found RX 580's for $399, bought 8  (Read 301 times)
COLT601 (OP)

Activity: 81
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 15, 2018, 11:28:41 PM

I found Radeon RX 580's with 8 GB memory for $399 and bought 8 of them. The card only has one small fan, not the massive dual fans like one sees on most other cards.

What do you think? I want to mine ITNS coin and have free electricity

http://snpi.dell.com/snp/images2/300/en-us~490-BEET_v1/490-BEET_v1.jpg
You can see the statistics of your reports to moderators on the "Report to moderator" pages.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
whitrzac

Activity: 126
Merit: 10

90*c is good, right?

View Profile
January 15, 2018, 11:34:20 PM

Well that was a stupid decision...
COLT601 (OP)

View Profile
January 15, 2018, 11:37:26 PM

Well that was a stupid decision...

care to elaborate? i can cancel the order
business360

Activity: 25

View Profile
January 15, 2018, 11:41:15 PM

try yourself one and see how much nicehash is giving you per day, just mine 10 minute and if you make at least 3$ a day, keep them
Personally i would keep them at this price, even if you don't want to mine, you can sell them on craigslist for at least the same price
DrG
Legendary

Activity: 2086
Merit: 1035

View Profile
January 15, 2018, 11:52:35 PM

Don't get hung up on the cooler. It hurts resale a little bit but functionally those ref blowers are better than some aftermarket coolers. Everybody always looks at the core temp and thinks aftermarket cards are better but they neglect to look at memory and VRM temps which can go over 100C when overlocked. Blowers also are easier to set up for professional hot/cold isle mining.

You just made $150 in profit for a reseller... just like in the gold rush those selling the picks make the most money.

If you can't return them, then sell them now while the price is high and maybe even make a small profit.

But why did you buy the cards... because you wanted to mine!

Rip the boxes open, build the rig and enjoy the heat. Mining is a hedge against a drop in the crypto's price. If you spent that money on an exchange and bought something like Ripple right now you would be crying.

Only invest what you're willing to lose. If you can lose the value of those cards, then just have fun with the rig.
Metroid

Activity: 2142
Merit: 353

Xtreme Monster

View Profile
January 15, 2018, 11:55:30 PM

$400 for a rx 580, how this mining stupidity has turned out to be hehe, You would be better off buying the coin instead of mining it, well I guess you will learn with your own mistakes.

I have a friend which bought many rx 580 for just $200 each and I told him the same thing, don't buy them, just buy the coin, in this time eth rose 300% and his return was around 33%, well he has learned with his own mistakes too.

BTC Address: 1DH4ok85VdFAe47fSVXNVctxkFhUv4ujbR
COLT601 (OP)

View Profile
January 16, 2018, 12:10:24 AM

Ehhhhhhhhhhh I canceled the order
sundownz

Activity: 714
Merit: 512

View Profile WWW
January 16, 2018, 02:33:13 AM

I found Radeon RX 580's with 8 GB memory for $399 and bought 8 of them. The card only has one small fan, not the massive dual fans like one sees on most other cards.

What do you think? I want to mine ITNS coin and have free electricity

I have a bunch of RX480s with the reference cooler... no issues from them at all.

Although, that price is pretty crazy.

For security, your account has been locked. Email acctcomp15@theymos.e4ward.com
nsummy

Activity: 1179
Merit: 131

View Profile
January 16, 2018, 02:44:54 AM

Thats the best decision you could have made.  This thread is full of poor advice.  You essentially paid double for a budget card that is nearly obsolete.  Free electricity aside, you would have needed a very expensive power supply for this rig.
Regulater

Activity: 273
Merit: 12

View Profile
January 16, 2018, 03:07:52 AM

Point people are saying is AMD are cheap cards, and you shouldnt pay higher than 250 for that card. Just because they are sold out right now doesnt mean just at any offer. Pick up some 1070 for 450 each or any GTX 1060, 1070, 1070 ti, or 1080 ti.
DrG
Legendary

View Profile
January 16, 2018, 05:35:30 AM

Thats the best decision you could have made.  This thread is full of poor advice.  You essentially paid double for a budget card that is nearly obsolete.  Free electricity aside, you would have needed a very expensive power supply for this rig.

- budget card
- nearly obsolete
- expensive power supply

This thread has bad advice alright... almost entirely from you. The only somewhat correct part of your statement was paying double for the card (the 8GB one hit about $250 during BF).

There's nothing budget about a 580 8GB. They still mine Eth at 30MH/s and do decently with cyrptonight, and 2 Gold 750s could easily power that rig. Obsolete? Man they just let all the kids come in here and post stuff when their high or drunk.

If I was paying $400 for a 580 I would pop another $100 and just get a 1070. Nowhere in hell can you find them for $450 at present, however, unlike posted above. Newegg is selling them for above 1070Ti MSRP since beginning of the year. 3rd parties are selling them for $550 and above.
nsummy

View Profile
January 16, 2018, 06:06:55 AM

- budget card
- nearly obsolete
- expensive power supply

This thread has bad advice alright... almost entirely from you. The only somewhat correct part of your statement was paying double for the card (the 8GB one hit about $250 during BF).

There's nothing budget about a 580 8GB. They still mine Eth at 30MH/s and do decently with cyrptonight, and 2 Gold 750s could easily power that rig. Obsolete? Man they just let all the kids come in here and post stuff when their high or drunk.

If I was paying $400 for a 580 I would pop another $100 and just get a 1070. Nowhere in hell can you find them for $450 at present, however, unlike posted above. Newegg is selling them for above 1070Ti MSRP since beginning of the year. 3rd parties are selling them for $550 and above.

Mining ETH is about the only thing that card is good for, and sooner or later that train will leave the station. and I currently have a $250 barebone i7 mini pc that has a better cryptonight hashrate than the 580. For all intents and purposes that card is nearly obsolete.  AMD released their new line, Nvidia is about to release theirs, there is no justified reason to pay double for an outdated card. I can see maybe doing it for 1 or 2, but 8 cards?!  Thats an extra $1600, and for what?  Just so you can start mining now instead of in a month?   I also don't know how you can state that there is nothing budget about a 580, its a $230 graphics card designed to compete with a $400 Nvidia card.   
timbereagle

Activity: 881
Merit: 502

View Profile
January 16, 2018, 06:21:02 AM

according to my experiences blower type is not good for mining but better for other uses like graphic.

Also blower is better in closed case as it gives the hot air to outside.

But mining is done in open case therefore aftermarket coolers are better for mining.
slanislaw

Activity: 107
Merit: 11

View Profile
January 16, 2018, 06:30:48 AM

I hate blower style cards.. Loud & hot.  Tongue
Doonish

Activity: 15

View Profile
January 16, 2018, 06:38:47 AM

Are they really that bad? Whattomine is saying they can make a little on Equihash.
manji

Activity: 210
Merit: 174

BookiePro.Fun - The World's Betting Exchange

View Profile
January 16, 2018, 06:48:55 AM

the weakness of a single fan or Ref has noise and more heat if compared dual fans.

DrG
Legendary

View Profile
January 16, 2018, 12:35:18 PM

- budget card
- nearly obsolete
- expensive power supply

Mining ETH is about the only thing that card is good for, and sooner or later that train will leave the station. and I currently have a $250 barebone i7 mini pc that has a better cryptonight hashrate than the 580. For all intents and purposes that card is nearly obsolete.  AMD released their new line, Nvidia is about to release theirs, there is no justified reason to pay double for an outdated card. I can see maybe doing it for 1 or 2, but 8 cards?!  Thats an extra $1600, and for what?  Just so you can start mining now instead of in a month?   I also don't know how you can state that there is nothing budget about a 580, its a $230 graphics card designed to compete with a $400 Nvidia card.   

While a comparison can be made for 1 card to a CPU, the OP did buy 8 of them. To have 8 PCs in 1 location would drive down density.

Yes nVidia is way ahead of AMD. AMD lost Raja and Vega was quite a disappointment, but we have yet to see any successor to the 580 from the new platform.

Now is he justified? Well, he made the smart decision to return them. And look at that lovely red today!  Back the truck up and just buy the coins on this manipulated dip. Anybody who doesn't see manipulation - Cointelegram put out that BTC hitpiece right as the dump started lol.

Technically he could recoup that $1600 in 2 months (although checking with supply line it looks like it will be at least 2 months to grab cards in bulk) but he would need to be on nVidia platform which handles more algos. It just makes more sense to spend that over exuberant money on buying coins at inflated prices.

The 8MB 580 card, BTW, is not a $230 card. The 4MB might be, but not the 8MB. For mining there is no difference (unlike the 1060s which has gimped 3GB vs 6GB), but the 8GB is still a $280+ plus card and it is their flagship mid-line card. If you're getting them for $230 then I will pay you to be my friend  Wink  Their budget cards at the 560, 550.

I must be doing something wrong to be mining with my R9 280X. I also bought them at the insane inflated price of almost $400 - but that was back in 2013 hehe. I've been dumping them whenever I get a bite from somebody online who wants to pay as much as I paid in 2013 for a no warranty card. That is the hedge for having a miner.

If I didn't have the space for my farm I would have dumped all my old cards long time ago as for my situation they would have been obsolete. Each one, however, has probably mined enough to buy the proverbial lambo.

Now those guys who still have 4870s and 5870s from the original BTC days - those are probably obsolete. I did get rid of all my original 6870s.
nsummy

View Profile
January 16, 2018, 04:45:07 PM

- budget card
- nearly obsolete
- expensive power supply

While a comparison can be made for 1 card to a CPU, the OP did buy 8 of them. To have 8 PCs in 1 location would drive down density.

Yes nVidia is way ahead of AMD. AMD lost Raja and Vega was quite a disappointment, but we have yet to see any successor to the 580 from the new platform.

Now is he justified? Well, he made the smart decision to return them. And look at that lovely red today!  Back the truck up and just buy the coins on this manipulated dip. Anybody who doesn't see manipulation - Cointelegram put out that BTC hitpiece right as the dump started lol.

Technically he could recoup that $1600 in 2 months (although checking with supply line it looks like it will be at least 2 months to grab cards in bulk) but he would need to be on nVidia platform which handles more algos. It just makes more sense to spend that over exuberant money on buying coins at inflated prices.

The 8MB 580 card, BTW, is not a $230 card. The 4MB might be, but not the 8MB. For mining there is no difference (unlike the 1060s which has gimped 3GB vs 6GB), but the 8GB is still a $280+ plus card and it is their flagship mid-line card. If you're getting them for $230 then I will pay you to be my friend  Wink  Their budget cards at the 560, 550.

I must be doing something wrong to be mining with my R9 280X. I also bought them at the insane inflated price of almost $400 - but that was back in 2013 hehe. I've been dumping them whenever I get a bite from somebody online who wants to pay as much as I paid in 2013 for a no warranty card. That is the hedge for having a miner.

If I didn't have the space for my farm I would have dumped all my old cards long time ago as for my situation they would have been obsolete. Each one, however, has probably mined enough to buy the proverbial lambo.

Now those guys who still have 4870s and 5870s from the original BTC days - those are probably obsolete. I did get rid of all my original 6870s.

I'm not saying you can get a 580 for $230 now, but at one time, it was the going rate Smiley  http://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-rx-580-rx-570-gpu-polaris,34168.html
Metroid

Activity: 2142
Merit: 353

Xtreme Monster

View Profile
January 16, 2018, 05:06:26 PM

Let the idiots pay $250 and over for them, the resellers are loving all this cause the manufacturer company is not charging a lot more for it, the resellers are. So if you pay lets say $399 then the reseller already found a block and the block was your $150 profit in a single second hehe. The resellers are the greatest miners when there is more money than sense.

BTC Address: 1DH4ok85VdFAe47fSVXNVctxkFhUv4ujbR
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: