Bitcoin Forum
April 18, 2024, 07:53:17 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: CoinPayments.net - Unbiased Unified Money Solution - Multi Payment Procesing  (Read 48514 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (1 post by 1+ user deleted.)
MrData

Activity: 290
Merit: 250

CoinPayments

View Profile WWW
March 07, 2014, 10:39:14 PM

Not that I can see, anyone based in the U.S. and very shortly other major countries as they regulate crypto will not be able to legally run a processor without having substantial cash backing already and registering with and following all of their AML/KYC laws. If we'd started a year or two earlier we would probably be in a position to make that happen but we were too late for the game.

CoinPayments - The original multi-cryptocurrency payment processor.
Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
MrData

CoinPayments

View Profile WWW
March 07, 2014, 11:01:00 PM

CoinPayments isn't mining or investing coins, we accept coins from party X and send them to party Y. Those smaller unregistered processors will have to get licensed or shut down eventually (if they are based in the USA or other countries that decide to regulate in the same way).

DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 11:05:53 PM

It's because we accept money from buyer X and send it to seller Y, that makes us a money transmitter (even though we don't touch fiat).

Have you obtained legal counsel advising you that?  There is an exception to MT definition at federal level and that is for a payment processor.  As an example credit card processors and BitPay are NOT money transmitters.

http://www.fincen.gov/news_room/rp/rulings/html/fincenruling2003-8.html

(5) Money transmitter—(i) In general. (A) A person that provides money transmission services. The term “money transmission services” means the acceptance of currency, funds, or other value that substitutes for currency from one person and the transmission of currency, funds, or other value that substitutes for currency to another location or person by any means. “Any means” includes, but is not limited to, through a financial agency or institution; a Federal Reserve Bank or other facility of one or more Federal Reserve Banks, the Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System, or both; an electronic funds transfer network; or an informal value transfer system; or

(B) Any other person engaged in the transfer of funds.

(ii) Facts and circumstances; Limitations. Whether a person is a money transmitter as described in this section is a matter of facts and circumstances. The term “money transmitter” shall not include a person that only:

(A) Provides the delivery, communication, or network access services used by a money transmitter to support money transmission services;

(B) Acts as a payment processor to facilitate the purchase of, or payment of a bill for, a good or service through a clearance and settlement system by agreement with the creditor or seller;

(C) Operates a clearance and settlement system or otherwise acts as an intermediary solely between BSA regulated institutions. This includes but is not limited to the Fedwire system, electronic funds transfer networks, certain registered clearing agencies regulated by the Securities and Exchange Commission (“SEC”), and derivatives clearing organizations, or other clearinghouse arrangements established by a financial agency or institution;

(D) Physically transports currency, other monetary instruments, other commercial paper, or other value that substitutes for currency as a person primarily engaged in such business, such as an armored car, from one person to the same person at another location or to an account belonging to the same person at a financial institution, provided that the person engaged in physical transportation has no more than a custodial interest in the currency, other monetary instruments, other commercial paper, or other value at any point during the transportation;

(E) Provides prepaid access; or

(F) Accepts and transmits funds only integral to the sale of goods or the provision of services, other than money transmission services, by the person who is accepting and transmitting the funds.
http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?SID=6e68addf743067048f93c5740352a74f&node=31:3.1.6.1.2.1.3.1&rgn=div8

In the event this is useful to your cause and you decide to not close, nobody can again say that "D&T is an altcoin hater" (although for the record I find most of them of dubious value).

This post should be considered informational and is not legal advice.  Your situation may vary based on unstated or misunderstood circumstances.  You should obtained independent qualified legal counsel.  The statements made her are my own and may not reflect the views of Tangible Cryptography, Inc or it's subsidiaries. 
jonnysomething

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 08, 2014, 01:22:04 AM

I always wondered why people were excited to have crypto officially a currency. This is the result.

Very disappointed by this, I was going to contact you soon regarding my coin project.
sidhujag
Legendary

Activity: 2044
Merit: 1005

View Profile
March 08, 2014, 04:15:33 AM

Fincen only cares about the paypal and fiat options.. so why not remove those
options and just work with crypto? If your concerned about regulation whats the difference between you and say an escrow service or sending coins to another person for example? That means any transaction is illegal?

Maybe this opens up a market fora new service
to take coinpayments place?
pr0d1gy (OP)

Activity: 658
Merit: 502

View Profile
March 08, 2014, 05:57:14 AM

options and just work with crypto? If your concerned about regulation whats the difference between you and say an escrow service or sending coins to another person for example? That means any transaction is illegal?

PayPal is only passthru we don't touch the funds or deal with fiat.

Set Escrow
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
sidhujag
Legendary

View Profile
March 08, 2014, 08:48:21 AM

what if its not for profit of an business or person but a coin? With Devcoin im planning on implementing a business which is paid via devcoin shares accepts coins proivides products but gives all profit back to devcoin to bolster prices.. could this be an acception? Maybe transform coinpayments to conform to sonething like this?
ubi4doges

Activity: 81

View Profile
March 08, 2014, 11:04:27 AM

This is terrible news Sad

"We will create a civilization of the Mind in Cyberspace. May it be more humane and fair than the world your governments have made before." - A Declaration of the Independence of Cyberspace. John Perry Barlow. Davos, Switzerland. February 8, 1996
Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
March 08, 2014, 11:42:15 AM

This is a real kick in the nuts for currency competition because you guys were one of the few people offering support for altcoins.
BTCat
Legendary

Activity: 1960
Merit: 1010

View Profile
March 08, 2014, 12:09:46 PM

I've always wondered how much volume there is in purchases made with altcoins.
Would you be willing to share some numbers about different coins used for product purchases from last half year or so?

Thanks for concidderation.
KlondikeCoin

Activity: 84

View Profile
March 08, 2014, 12:47:05 PM

We are based in the UK and would be very interested in discussing some sort of profit share, buyout or some sort of takeover deal to keep coinpayments going.

Please pm us Smiley
jdebunt
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1010

View Profile WWW
March 08, 2014, 01:44:07 PM

I did an article for you guys :

http://www.cryptoarticles.com/crypto-news/2014/3/8/coinpayments-shutting-down-at-the-end-of-march

Thanks for all the hard work , and if somehow the project would continue, I'm currently unemployed and available for hire Wink

(no coding skills though)
Tweek

Activity: 308

CoinTweak profitability charts

View Profile WWW
March 08, 2014, 02:44:34 PM

Worst email I have received in ages. Sad Sorry to see you guys go, I hope you will find a way to operate especially for such a lame reason. Exactly that kind of government meddling is what made the need for Bitcoin to exist, and now they abuse it to ruin a great *coin payment platform.

sidhujag
Legendary

View Profile
March 08, 2014, 02:45:46 PM

I did an article for you guys :

http://www.cryptoarticles.com/crypto-news/2014/3/8/coinpayments-shutting-down-at-the-end-of-march

Thanks for all the hard work , and if somehow the project would continue, I'm currently unemployed and available for hire Wink

(no coding skills though)

I can certianly pitch it to the devcoin guys and you would get paid to work for it in shares.. What is your expertise?

It would have to be open source for devcoin to own it.. all projects are open to public...
stickerzlab

Activity: 218
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
March 12, 2014, 08:27:44 AM

is there any news regarding the owner change ? and how it'll affect operations and payments processing ?

Bitcoin related stickers : http://www.pixcoin.com | wall decals to order in btc : http://www.stickerzlab.com | DIY box : http://www.stickerzbox.fr
MrData

CoinPayments

View Profile WWW
March 12, 2014, 02:14:44 PM

Nothing definite, if everything goes well the changeover will happen with no downtime or anything.

pr0d1gy (OP)

Activity: 658
Merit: 502

View Profile
April 09, 2014, 10:42:34 PM

Newest Coin Vote: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=563787.new

Set Escrow
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
gsupp

Activity: 308

View Profile
April 11, 2014, 03:10:37 PM

So what's the deal? I saw the notice about CoinPayments shutting down but the site is still live after the shutdown date? And there's talk of a new owner?

Is CoinPayments going away or not?
sidhujag
Legendary

View Profile
April 11, 2014, 03:27:28 PM

New owner not responding.

I hooked up my merchant site to cp ipn works fine though.
MrData

CoinPayments

View Profile WWW
April 11, 2014, 03:44:05 PM

It's still not 100%, but there should be new owners by the end of the month hopefully.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: