Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 04:32:06 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [2018-01-16] Mark Cuban: Buy Dallas Mavericks Tickets `Next Season` With Bitcoin  (Read 93 times)
moriskarlov (OP)

Activity: 546
Merit: 252

View Profile
January 16, 2018, 01:15:04 PM

Billionaire Bitcoin skeptic-turned-bull Mark Cuban has said his Dallas Mavericks basketball team will accept Bitcoin “next season.”

CUBAN TURNS ON TO BITCOIN ACCEPTANCE

In comments on Twitter following publication of team line-ups, Cuban, who as recently as June last year called Bitcoin a “bubble,” confirmed fans would be able to purchase tickets with Bitcoin later in 2018.

The move is milestone for both US basketball and Bitcoin acceptance in sport, Cuban having warmed to Bitcoin considerably over the last six months.

“It is interesting because there are a lot of assets which their value is just based on supply and demand,” he told Bloomberg in an October interview, during which he confirmed he had invested.

"Most stocks, there is no intrinsic value because you have no true ownership rights and no voting rights. You just have the ability to buy and sell those stocks. Bitcoin is the same thing. Its value is based on supply demand. I have bought some through an ETN based on a Swedish exchange."

Previously, in an apparent publicity stunt, the billionaire had purchased $20 worth of BTC in order to demonstrate its price would soon correct from highs of the time of around $2800.

FOLLOWING IN FOOTSTEPS OF DENMARK’S BITCOIN HOCKEY TEAM

Outside the US, Denmark made an even more conspicuous gesture last month when an ownership change of a major league hockey club resulted in Bitcoin all but taking over.

Bitcoin Suisse’s three-year tenure means that Rungsted Seier Capital’s home stadium will now go by the name Bitcoin Arena, while the team’s top player will receive his salary in BTC, official announcements stated at the time.

The move “(paves) the way for others in- and outside of the world of professional sports to do the same,” an release added.

Cuban meanwhile remains tight-lipped on what motivated him to launch Bitcoin ticket sales in the short-term.

Source: http://bitcoinist.com/mark-cuban-mevericks-tickets-bitcoin/

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"There should not be any signed int. If you've found a signed int somewhere, please tell me (within the next 25 years please) and I'll change it to unsigned int." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
jseverson

Activity: 1834
Merit: 759

View Profile
January 16, 2018, 02:33:21 PM

Lol. Weird time to start accepting Bitcoin with the fees being as high as they are and with the value sliding. I'm not complaining though. I didn't know he did a 180 way back on October, and his comments regarding stocks and Bitcoin really makes some sense if you think about it. It seems like a fresh take on the investment scene.

Him turning bull is really good for Bitcoin though, with Shark Tank's popularity and even added publicity through Mavericks tickets.

1Referee
Legendary

Activity: 2170
Merit: 1427

View Profile
January 16, 2018, 10:00:38 PM

Lol. Weird time to start accepting Bitcoin with the fees being as high as they are and with the value sliding.
It's not that weird honestly, and especially not when you consider how Bitcoin has been booming lately, so it's probably the best possible time to get involved in Bitcoin in that way. Sure, the fees may turn out to be an obstacle, but I am sure that people will not mind spending their Bitcoin profits on tickets of their favorite team.

I didn't know he did a 180 way back on October, and his comments regarding stocks and Bitcoin really makes some sense if you think about it. It seems like a fresh take on the investment scene.
He isn't really something I look to as being a respectable person, especially because of the fact that he is only looking for media attention with everything he is doing. However, as long as it is positive minded, there is not much that we can complain about. Everything bullish that can help grow Bitcoin further is a welcome addition, even when we personally don't like that individual.
figmentofmyass
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1483

View Profile
January 16, 2018, 11:56:51 PM

Billionaire Bitcoin skeptic-turned-bull Mark Cuban has said his Dallas Mavericks basketball team will accept Bitcoin “next season.”

smart move. to me, this is the same as vinny lingham running his ICO using bitcoin last year. he was totally wrong with his bearish calls, sold his BTC in the $1200s, and needed to recover it. so he ran an ICO and gave people worthless ERC-20 tokens in exchange for his bitcoins back. brilliant! similarly, mark cuban knows that we won't ever see cheap coins like we have in the past. this is just another way to average into a big long term position without moving the market.

Lol. Weird time to start accepting Bitcoin with the fees being as high as they are and with the value sliding.

the fees generally affect those paying with bitcoins, not those who are just holding them. and someone with as much money as him likely wants to build a bitcoin/crypto position over time, averaging into positions. if anything, he'd probably like to see a bear market to re-accumulate. i sure would.

Samarkand

Activity: 658
Merit: 282

View Profile
January 18, 2018, 09:55:12 PM

... this is just another way to average into a big long term position without moving the market.

Do you really think that he will keep the Bitcoins for the long-term?
I think it is much more likely that the Dallas Mavericks will be using a payment
solutions provider like BitPay that exchanges the Bitcoin to fiat for them.

Obviously keeping the Bitcoin would be the much smarter move (e.g. Roger
Ver made a ton of Bitcoin in the early days, because he never sold the Bitcoins
that he gained with his shops when Bitcoin were still worth nothing in terms of $).

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: