Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 08:56:00 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: About Armory and the blockchain  (Read 555 times)
DrakonX (OP)

Activity: 99
Merit: 4

View Profile
January 16, 2018, 01:17:40 PM

Is this correct: In order to use Bitcoin Armory I need the Bitcoin Core application but I don't need to download the whole blockchain, cause Armory connects to any external blockchain.
Holliday
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1010

View Profile
January 16, 2018, 03:55:45 PM

Nope. You need a local copy of the block chain.

If you aren't the sole controller of your private keys, you don't have any bitcoins.
DrakonX (OP)

View Profile
January 17, 2018, 06:06:22 PM

What do I have to enter into the "Bitcoin Home Dir", the same directory which contains the blockchain I downloadad via Bitcoin Core (in case Bitcoin Core does not use the standard directory)?
Holliday
Legendary

View Profile
January 17, 2018, 06:39:44 PM

What do I have to enter into the "Bitcoin Home Dir", the same directory which contains the blockchain I downloadad via Bitcoin Core (in case Bitcoin Core does not use the standard directory)?

Some users choose to install the block chain in non-standard locations and must provide Armory with a way to find that data so that it may function.

If you aren't the sole controller of your private keys, you don't have any bitcoins.
droark

Activity: 525
Merit: 282

View Profile WWW
January 17, 2018, 06:42:39 PM

Only if you're installing the blockchain in a non-standard location. If you don't mess with that, Armory will find the blockchain automatically.
DrakonX (OP)

View Profile
January 20, 2018, 06:09:37 PM

Should I enter the Bitcoin directory or the bin directory (which contains the executables)?
Holliday
Legendary

View Profile
January 20, 2018, 06:43:07 PM

Should I enter the Bitcoin directory or the bin directory (which contains the executables)?

Bitcoin folder. Standard location is C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Bitcoin

DrakonX (OP)

View Profile
January 20, 2018, 07:49:38 PM

I referred to the "Bitcoin Install Dir". Do I have to enter the "bin" or the "home" directory (from Bitcoin Core)?
jojo69
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 4386

diamond-handed zealot

View Profile
January 20, 2018, 09:46:42 PM

https://btcarmory.com/docs/pathing

covers pathing for Armory pretty well

This is not some pseudoeconomic post-modern Libertarian cult, it's an un-led, crowd-sourced mega startup organized around mutual self-interest where problems, whether of the theoretical or purely practical variety, are treated as temporary and, ultimately, solvable.
Censorship of e-gold was easy. Censorship of Bitcoin will be… entertaining.
DrakonX (OP)

View Profile
January 21, 2018, 01:09:37 PM
Last edit: January 21, 2018, 03:52:19 PM by DrakonX

This ressource says nothinng about the "Bitcoin Install Dir" option within Armory. What exactly, do I have to enter into the field (in order to use bitcoind)?
PhoenixFire

Activity: 270
Merit: 36

View Profile
January 21, 2018, 04:32:51 PM

This ressource says nothinng about the "Bitcoin Install Dir" option within Armory. What exactly, do I have to enter into the field (in order to use bitcoind)?
Install dir is the directory that has bitcoin-qt.exe inside it. I'm getting the impression you are on linux, though?
Blank should find it if installed properly, but yeah bitcoin-qt and bitcoind are in bin on linux.
We can't give you an exact path because setups vary, dude, and you aren't giving us much info here about yours.
DrakonX (OP)

View Profile
January 21, 2018, 07:51:10 PM

The problem is: I don't really know, what matters, so I'm unable to give any more specific information. No, I'm on a Windows machine and I'm using the portable versions of both of them, Bitcoin Core and Bitcoin Armory.

I have something in mind, getting a sample configuration, step by step, in text form, how to set up the environment not using the default data locations, becaus due to having a small SSD running in my machine, using the default locations is not an option for me. I have to put them on an external drive.
jojo69
Legendary

diamond-handed zealot

View Profile
January 21, 2018, 08:01:16 PM

due to having a small SSD running in my machine, using the default locations is not an option for me. I have to put them on an external drive.

This is a very common problem and one, in my opinion, Core could have made easier to manage.  Who, in this day and age, loads their C: with untold GB of application data??  I share your frustration with that.

You have probably seen it but here is a primer on getting the big folder off your SSD.

https://bitzuma.com/posts/moving-the-bitcoin-core-data-directory/

This is not some pseudoeconomic post-modern Libertarian cult, it's an un-led, crowd-sourced mega startup organized around mutual self-interest where problems, whether of the theoretical or purely practical variety, are treated as temporary and, ultimately, solvable.
Holliday
Legendary

View Profile
January 21, 2018, 09:39:33 PM

The problem is: I don't really know, what matters, so I'm unable to give any more specific information. No, I'm on a Windows machine and I'm using the portable versions of both of them, Bitcoin Core and Bitcoin Armory.

I have something in mind, getting a sample configuration, step by step, in text form, how to set up the environment not using the default data locations, becaus due to having a small SSD running in my machine, using the default locations is not an option for me. I have to put them on an external drive.

Run Bitcoin Core manually and Armory doesn't need to know where the "Bitcoin install directory" is, only where the block chain data is located.

Start Bitcoin Core, let it sync fully, then start Armory. Pretty easy.

Use a config file in the Armory folder (armoryqt.conf) to specify where your block chain is located. Example: satoshi-datadir=D:\Bitcoin

Put the Armory database in the same place if you want. Example: dbdir=D:\Armory

DrakonX (OP)

View Profile
January 23, 2018, 01:25:00 PM

Does it matter whether Bitcoin Core is running or not while Armory runs? The blockchain would not become updated if not.
jojo69
Legendary

diamond-handed zealot

View Profile
January 23, 2018, 05:30:16 PM

Does it matter whether Bitcoin Core is running or not while Armory runs? The blockchain would not become updated if not.

the recommended method is to uncheck "Let Armory run Bitcoin Core/bitcoind in the background" under file/settings and then have core running and synced when you launch Armory.

DrakonX (OP)

View Profile
February 05, 2018, 11:25:17 PM

No matter what I do, Armory keeps saying he couldn't spawn the DB. The error log says absolutely nothing. Keeps Armory looking for the blockchain in the wrong directory? Why? "satoshi-datadir" does also not work, although Bitcoin Core (not installed) tells me "blockchain load complete".
droark

Activity: 525
Merit: 282

View Profile WWW
February 06, 2018, 12:16:58 AM

Are you absolutely sure you're invoking satoshi-datadir correctly and pointing it to the correct location? Can you please post your logs?
jojo69
Legendary

diamond-handed zealot

View Profile
February 06, 2018, 01:57:55 AM

Bitcoin Core (not installed) tells me "blockchain load complete".

I'm confused

DrakonX (OP)

View Profile
February 06, 2018, 08:37:02 AM

Do you mean this file:
Code:
(ERROR) ArmoryUtils.pyc:3716 - Unsupported language  specified. Defaulting to English (en)
(ERROR) qtdialogs.pyc:3561 - User did not accept the EULA
(WARNING) ArmoryQt.py:262 - Armory startup was aborted.  Closing.
(ERROR) ArmoryUtils.pyc:3716 - Unsupported language  specified. Defaulting to English (en)
(ERROR) qtdialogs.pyc:3561 - User did not accept the EULA
(WARNING) ArmoryQt.py:262 - Armory startup was aborted.  Closing.
(ERROR) ArmoryQt.py:1862 - Failed to setup SDM
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "ArmoryQt.py", line 1857, in startBitcoindIfNecessary
  File "SDM.pyc", line 188, in setupSDM
BitcoindError: bitcoind not found
(WARNING) SDM.pyc:396 - Spawning DB with command: ./ArmoryDB.exe --db-type="DB_FULL" --cookie --datadir="C:\Users\Andreas\AppData\Roaming\Armory\" --dbdir="C:\Users\Andreas\AppData\Roaming\Armory\databases"
(ERROR) BDM.pyc:199 - DB error: C:\Users\Andreas\AppData\Roaming/Bitcoin/blocks is not a valid path
(ERROR) BDM.pyc:199 - DB error: C:\Users\Andreas\AppData\Roaming/Bitcoin/blocks is not a valid path
(ERROR) ArmoryQt.py:5951 - Socket already in use.  Sent CLI args to existing proc.
(ERROR) ArmoryQt.py:5952 - Exiting...
(WARNING) SDM.pyc:439 - Spawning bitcoind with command: C:\Andreas\Programme\bitcoin-0.15.0\bin\bitcoind.exe -datadir=G:\Blockchain -dbcache=1000
(WARNING) SDM.pyc:439 - Spawning bitcoind with command: C:\Andreas\Programme\bitcoin-0.15.0\bin\bitcoind.exe -datadir=G:\Blockchain -dbcache=1000
(WARNING) SDM.pyc:396 - Spawning DB with command: ./ArmoryDB.exe --db-type="DB_FULL" --cookie --satoshi-datadir="G:\Blockchain\blocks" --datadir="C:\Users\Andreas\AppData\Roaming\Armory\" --dbdir="C:\Users\Andreas\AppData\Roaming\Armory\databases"
(WARNING) SDM.pyc:396 - Spawning DB with command: ./ArmoryDB.exe --db-type="DB_FULL" --cookie --satoshi-datadir="G:\Blockchain\blocks" --datadir="C:\Users\Andreas\AppData\Roaming\Armory\" --dbdir="C:\Users\Andreas\AppData\Roaming\Armory\databases"
(ERROR) ArmoryQt.py:1198 - 3 attempts to load blockchain failed.  Remove mempool.bin.
(ERROR) ArmoryQt.py:1203 - File mempool.bin does not exist. Nothing deleted.

I'm confused
I use the "portable" version that comes with the zip file.
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: