Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 10:36:01 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: About Armory and the blockchain  (Read 542 times)
goatpig
Legendary

Activity: 3668
Merit: 1345

Armory Developer

View Profile
February 06, 2018, 02:30:21 PM

Post the full armorylog.txt

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
DrakonX (OP)

Activity: 99
Merit: 4

View Profile
February 07, 2018, 05:18:11 PM

You can view the full armorylog.txt here: https://pastebin.com/R60JDX0s
goatpig
Legendary

Activity: 3668
Merit: 1345

Armory Developer

View Profile
February 07, 2018, 06:38:22 PM

1) Don't downgrade. Upgrade.

2)  G:\Blockchain. This folder either does not exists, or you have not given your user account the privileges to read/write in it.

DrakonX (OP)

View Profile
February 08, 2018, 12:45:18 PM

I don't downgrade anything!

I didn't check the checkbox "Let Armory run Bitcoin Core/bitcoind in the background". So why Armory is looking for the blockchain in "G:\Blockchain"?!
droark

Activity: 525
Merit: 282

View Profile WWW
February 08, 2018, 05:11:18 PM

I don't downgrade anything!

The log starts at v0.96.3 and then reverts to v0.96. If you really have upgraded, you're sending the wrong log somehow.

I didn't check the checkbox "Let Armory run Bitcoin Core/bitcoind in the background". So why Armory is looking for the blockchain in "G:\Blockchain"?!

How exactly are you actually invoking Armory?
DrakonX (OP)

View Profile
February 09, 2018, 11:15:22 AM

Now I see what you mean by "downgrade". I started Armory via a link pointing to the old directory. Therefore, the log displayed different version numbers. I have corrected that now.

At the moment I start Armory (now the shortcut points to the right file) via a shortcut without any parameters. I tried it with the parameter --satoshi-datadir = "G:\Blockchain Core". Previously, this provoked an error message, but last, it simply had no effect (without displaying an error message).

Therefore, I have now tried to set the blockchain directory via the Armory configuration file. I saved the line:
Code:
satoshi-datadir="G:\Blockchain Core"
in the file "armoryqt.conf" which I saved in the default configuration directory of Armory:
Code:
~/Armory
This too had no effect.

I would like to start Armory via a shortcut without any parameters and save the parameters in a configuration file instead. As I read here, you can do that with the file "armoryqt.conf". But since the file does not exist by default, I'm not sure what it has to look like and where to store it.

I would also like to change the database directory of Armory too and would like to know if I also have to create/change the configuration file "armorydb.conf" and how it should look like. (It's a pitty that the information of the above link are very confusing me.)

Do you need the new "armorylog.txt"?
DrakonX (OP)

View Profile
February 10, 2018, 10:18:42 PM

Why must it be that fucking complicated?!
jojo69
Legendary

Activity: 3164
Merit: 4345

diamond-handed zealot

View Profile
February 10, 2018, 10:32:58 PM

dude...I know

deep breaths man

This is not some pseudoeconomic post-modern Libertarian cult, it's an un-led, crowd-sourced mega startup organized around mutual self-interest where problems, whether of the theoretical or purely practical variety, are treated as temporary and, ultimately, solvable.
Censorship of e-gold was easy. Censorship of Bitcoin will be… entertaining.
DrakonX (OP)

View Profile
February 16, 2018, 12:25:04 PM

As you can see, Armory is running but is actually doing nothing. If I try to close Armory, Windows tells me it crashed:

I found out a way to avoid this behavior: when this message appears:

... do nothing, until the next message appears:

Armory is displaying your balance then and doesn't crash when you quit. It is stille telling you beeing offline. Although I tried all 4 possible configurations:
First, leaving both fields empty:

Second, leaving only the "Bitcoin Homedir" empty:

Third, leaving only the "Bitcoin Installdir" empty:

Fourth, leaving none empty:

In any case Armory tells you beeing offline.

I don't know what to do. Sad
droark

View Profile WWW
February 16, 2018, 03:59:22 PM

Bitcoin Install Dir is wrong but you should turn off Armory's management of Core anyway and run Core manually. If you have armoryqt.conf and it's working properly, that should do the trick.
jojo69
Legendary

diamond-handed zealot

View Profile
February 16, 2018, 04:36:10 PM
Last edit: February 16, 2018, 04:46:35 PM by jojo69

pretty sure "Bitcoin Install Dir" should be C:\Program Files\Bitcoin

or, as droark suggested, navigate to C:\users\Andreas\AppData\Roaming\Armory and create a file "armoryqt.conf" containing the lines

Code:
satoshi-datadir="H:\Blockchain Core"

datadir="path to wherever you want armory to store its database"
(be sure to pay attention when saving it and not save it as armoryqt.conf.txt like I did)  Tongue

and then uncheck that box "let armory etc."

This is not some pseudoeconomic post-modern Libertarian cult, it's an un-led, crowd-sourced mega startup organized around mutual self-interest where problems, whether of the theoretical or purely practical variety, are treated as temporary and, ultimately, solvable.
droark

View Profile WWW
February 16, 2018, 10:10:02 PM

Code:
datadir="path to wherever you want armory to store its database"

One subtle but important note: datadir is actually where Armory data, such as config files and wallets, are found. By default, within that directory is a "databases" subfolder, which is where the Armory DB will be found. As written, I don't think it's easy to override the DB location. ArmoryDB can override this setting in armorydb.conf with the "dbdir" setting, as seen here. However, command line invocations, such as the one Armory uses, override whatever's in the config. So, Armory users would have to alter the code to either not use dbdir in the command line invocation, or alter it to use whatever it is they really want.

(All this will be placed in an ArmoryDB README. Pinky swear. It's almost done. I've just been distracted by more pressing matters.)
jojo69
Legendary

diamond-handed zealot

View Profile
February 16, 2018, 11:15:43 PM

So more accurately it might be

Code:
datadir="drive letter where you installed armory:\armory
?

I know mine is D:\armory, I did not remember if I chose that specifically or not...I guess not.

droark

View Profile WWW
February 17, 2018, 03:27:29 AM

So more accurately it might be

Code:
datadir="drive letter where you installed armory:\armory
?

I know mine is D:\armory, I did not remember if I chose that specifically or not...I guess not.

It depends. The default path is where it goes for most people. (On Windows, I believe C:\Users\*USERNAME-GOES-HERE*\AppData\Roaming\Armory is the location. Some people are moving their data around due to storage issues, though That's fine so long as they make sure to point Armory in the correct directions upon startup.
DrakonX (OP)

View Profile
February 17, 2018, 09:49:38 AM
Last edit: February 17, 2018, 10:22:06 AM by DrakonX

First of all, thank you for all of your responses!

Pretty sure it has to be a custom directory since I'm using the portable version of Bitcoin Core. I thought it has to be the directory where Armory can be found. Now I know it has to point to the Bitcoin Core directory, but it is obsolet because you wrote that I should deactivate the "Let armory run ..." option. Now I use the armoryqt.conf file as suggested by you:

Code:
datadir="C:\Users\Andreas\AppData\Roaming\Armory"
This is how Armory looks like, now (still offline Sad):

This is the armory settings dialog as it looks now:

Holliday
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1009

View Profile
February 17, 2018, 05:41:33 PM
Last edit: February 17, 2018, 06:08:38 PM by Holliday

Pretty sure it has to be a custom directory since I'm using the portable version of Bitcoin Core. I thought it has to be the directory where Armory can be found. Now I know it has to point to the Bitcoin Core directory, but it is obsolet because you wrote that I should deactivate the "Let armory run ..." option. Now I use the armoryqt.conf file as suggested by you:

Code:
datadir="C:\Users\Andreas\AppData\Roaming\Armory"

Alan's autobitcoind is the devil.

If Armory isn't controlling Bitcoin Core, ignore "bitcoin install directory". Pretend you've never heard that term.

You certainly do not need to use custom directories with the portable versions of either Bitcoin Core or Armory. Where did you get this idea?

Unless absolutely necessary, leave everything in it's default location.

You don't need to point to default locations in a config file (as you've done above). The amount of data Armory requires should fit in the default location, there really isn't any reason to use a custom path.

If you use a custom path for the block chain, make sure that path matches in both Bitcoin Core and Armory.

Keep paths simple. "Blockchain Core" is the name of the folder where you keep the block chain? Just call it "Bitcoin" for the love of all things holy. Why are you using quotes, they aren't necessary (if you don't use spaces in your folder name, which you shouldn't).

Here is an example of my exact config files.

bitcoin.conf

Code:
disablewallet=1
server=1
listen=1
assumevalid=0
addnode=127.0.0.1
datadir=D:\Bitcoin

As you can see, I've relocated the block chain data to my D drive. Now, I have to tell Armory where that data is located.

armoryqt.conf

Code:
satoshi-datadir=D:\Bitcoin

The D drive on my computer has one folder in it called "Bitcoin".

This setup works every time, without fail, on a clean Windows 10. I start Bitcoin Core (from a folder on my desktop, never installed). I wait for it to finish syncing, then I start Armory (from a folder on my desktop, never installed). If I want to use an existing wallet, I copy that to the Armory folder before the initial start up.

If I were you, I would:

1. Delete the contents of the Armory folder in C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming except for the wallet files.

1. Copy my config files into the appropriate folders.

bitcoin.conf goes into C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Bitcoin

armoryqt.conf goes into C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Armory

2. Modify the config files with your specific locations. Keep it as simple as you can (like mine).

Hopefully this shines some light on pathing. Either do as suggested or modify your current setup with the above in mind. If this doesn't work, I would delete your block chain and start from scratch.

If you aren't the sole controller of your private keys, you don't have any bitcoins.
DrakonX (OP)

View Profile
February 18, 2018, 04:14:05 PM

Thank you for your detailed notes.

I changed the name from "Blockchain Core" to "Blockchain" instead of "Bitcoin".
I deleted the "armoryqt.conf".
I left "bitcoin.conf" being on its defaults.

Nothing changed. I tried variants with checking the "let armory ..." option, with unchecking it and both, using the "home dir" entry and not using it (leaving it empty).

Nothing worked.

I'm giving it up, now. I definitly am done with Armory.
Holliday
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1009

View Profile
February 18, 2018, 05:37:11 PM

Thank you for your detailed notes.

I changed the name from "Blockchain Core" to "Blockchain" instead of "Bitcoin".
I deleted the "armoryqt.conf".
I left "bitcoin.conf" being on its defaults.

Nothing changed. I tried variants with checking the "let armory ..." option, with unchecking it and both, using the "home dir" entry and not using it (leaving it empty).

Nothing worked.

I'm giving it up, now. I definitly am done with Armory.

I didn't say delete armoyqt.conf...

Armory needs to know where the block chain is.

I said that you don't need to point to default locations in the config. You do, however, need to point to the custom locations (such as your block chain) in the conifig....

You "left bitcoin.conf on it's defaults"? What is that? By default there is no bitcoin.conf afaik. If you have your block chain in a custom location, it not default.

It seems to me that you have pathing issues, but I can't explain it any clearer than my previous attempt.

If you aren't the sole controller of your private keys, you don't have any bitcoins.
jojo69
Legendary

diamond-handed zealot

View Profile
February 18, 2018, 07:05:54 PM

ffs dude, where did he say to DELETE the .conf file?

that's not going to work

Code:
satoshi-datadir=D:\Blockchain

DrakonX (OP)

View Profile
February 19, 2018, 01:37:53 PM

Sure, you didn't say "delete it". But it seemed to me that the specifications within armoryqt.conf don't have any effect, that's why I deleted the file completely (as it doesn't exist by default). Of cause, I tried your suggestions (without success). Wink

Ther is a bitcoin.conf file in the directory of the blockchain that I did not create by myself. It is empty. Maybe it is there by default.

BitcoinCore does find the blockchain in its custom location, but obviously Armor does not. I don't know why.

I specified the directory of the blockchain for BitcoinCore via its graphical user interface. Unfortunately this works for BitcoinCore only.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: