Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 01:34:14 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Accepting payments in cryptocurrencies  (Read 146 times)
TechWriterCrypto (OP)

Activity: 15
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 16, 2018, 04:44:46 PM

I'm a freelance tech writer, social media marketer for ICO's. Many of my clients offer to pay me in cryptocurrencies.
What are your thoughts? Is payment in cryptocurrencies better or shall I stick to payments in fiat currencies?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin network protocol was designed to be extremely flexible. It can be used to create timed transactions, escrow transactions, multi-signature transactions, etc. The current features of the client only hint at what will be possible in the future.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
bitcoinblog

Activity: 496
Merit: 252

View Profile
January 16, 2018, 05:50:30 PM

I'm a freelance tech writer, social media marketer for ICO's. Many of my clients offer to pay me in cryptocurrencies.
What are your thoughts? Is payment in cryptocurrencies better or shall I stick to payments in fiat currencies?

It depends on your requirement. I am Designer as well as Web Developer. So i am taking in both Fiat as well as cryptocurrency. When my expense for home is more i am requesting my clients to pay me in Paypal or Bank directly. And when not required i am accepting BTC/ETH or sometimes some other coin.

So it is totally depends on your situation.

But yes accepting payment in Crypto can change the value in USD , so it can go down or up. Depends.

** FREE SPACE **
Ayamj

Activity: 350
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 16, 2018, 08:05:46 PM

well to me i think is very nice because wen u keep the coin it might increase and even double the amount u were paid unlike cash or fiat that doesn't increase over time
rodalutor

Activity: 364
Merit: 105

WPP ENERGY - BACKED ASSET GREEN ENERGY TOKEN

View Profile
January 16, 2018, 08:38:08 PM

It's entirely down to you, if you are comfortable in dealing with them and selling them for fiat then sure, if you are not then don't. You have to consider however if you will lose business by not accepting such payment. If you won't lose business I'd stick to fiat, it's just easier for you to manage that way.

﹏﹏﹋﹌﹌ WPP ENERGY ﹌﹌﹋﹏﹏
☆═══━┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈━═══☆
≈ WORLD POWER PRODUCTION ≈

【 BACKED ASSET GREEN ENERGY TOKEN 】
☆═━┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈━═☆
dankJ

Activity: 16

View Profile
January 16, 2018, 08:46:48 PM

well to me i think is very nice because wen u keep the coin it might increase and even double the amount u were paid unlike cash or fiat that doesn't increase over time

and of course on the flip side of that....it might decrease and what you got paid for your time and work is worth 50% less

I see this as a stumbling block for major adaptation of crypto coins...as much volatility as there is in these markets, if i were a merchant i wouldnt want my payments being in something that could drastically change in value in a matter of a few hours.

But the volatility will continue until it becomes more mainstream and markets are flooded with money.  But i dont think that can happen until there is major acceptance of these coins as forms of payment.... its kind of a catch 22 as i see it
Zocadas

Activity: 909
Merit: 508

View Profile
January 16, 2018, 09:24:38 PM

The more payment methods you offer, the better it is for your business. But you should only take well established cryptocurrencies, which you can easily exchange to fiat and you should calculate, what you need in fiat to pay your fixed and running costs. Another aspect is , how to handle taxes of cryptocurrencies. Depending on your residence there may be resulted two kinds of taxes: Income tax and tax on speculation, when the price of cryptocurrencies rised and you didn't hold them over a year. There would be more efford for tax declaration.
Xenrise

Activity: 672
Merit: 251

View Profile
January 16, 2018, 10:03:54 PM

What particular cryptocurrency? You should first know what is the cryptocurrency your client will pay you. There are a lot of shitcoin in this world. And there are a lot of good coins also. If I were you, I will accept cryptocurrency such as Neo, btc, ripple and ethereum. Those were cryptocurrency I'm in.
b3llsf1l3s

Activity: 616
Merit: 12

Send&Receive Money Instantly, w/ no hidden costs

View Profile WWW
January 17, 2018, 01:10:30 AM

I think it would be better to accept payment in the form of cryptocurrency, especially in the form of BTC / ETH.
even if at that time the btc price is down, better HOLD, unless indeed you are really in need fiat than btc

okour999

Activity: 393
Merit: 10

Decentralized Gaming Platform - Play & Earn $

View Profile
January 17, 2018, 02:40:17 AM

You are receiving a payment from the crypto currency but we have many exchangers but I would like you to see the coinmarketcap how much the price you're gonna buy.

TechWriterCrypto (OP)

Activity: 15

View Profile
January 17, 2018, 02:10:01 PM

Thanks everyone. All the replies have been very helpful.
I'd consider accepting payments in established cryptocurrencies for some projects.
#timeisnow to invest in cryptocurrencies and since I'm not in a position to buy them myself I guess accepting some part of the fee in them would serve the purpose.
hugeblack
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 3645

Buy/Sell crypto at BestChange

View Profile WWW
January 17, 2018, 02:35:24 PM

it depends on the kind of payments, Some online/ international work like Design Accepting payments in cryptocurrencies and it’s better to get paid in cryptocurrencies. Offline and local work may  Accept payments in cryptocurrencies and it’s better to pay using normal bank system or paper money.
Accepting cryptocurrencies have some risk because price can down.

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
OMGyasuo

Activity: 149
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 17, 2018, 04:25:28 PM

If you are involved in crypto investments then you can accept payments by crypto or else you will receive crypto for what. when you recieve the payments by crypto then the value of the payments will change, maybe less or more. so be careful.

BrewMaster
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1292

There is trouble abrewing

View Profile
January 17, 2018, 04:37:22 PM

it depends on the coin/token they want to pay you with. and be careful because most of them don't have a value yet (the unreleased ICOs) and will tank hard since they are useless.

and remember that those who offer to pay you in their own coin are doing it because it costs them NOTHING. they never paid for those tokens, they got them through a premine process. it is like a line of code which gave them those coins out of thin air and now they want to "sell" them this way buy buying a product or paying for a service.

additionally in order to receive payments in a cryptocurrency you need to have a cryptocurrency wallet. wallets need to be a trusted desktop application that has been around for a while and is open source and peer reviewed by many. that is hard to find for altcoins, you usually are left with a web wallet (low security) or an exchange (no security).

There is a FOMO brewing...
royale143

Activity: 294
Merit: 36

View Profile
January 17, 2018, 04:44:55 PM

Wow. I have been eyeing to have that kind of job? Can you give me some tips on how to start? It would be really appreciated. If I am in your place I would say I would like either in cash or in part crypto part cash. I do not see full crypto as an option because it is your job, therefore, it supports your livelihood. I think that it would be too risky to actually have your payment in full via crypto. What if it changes to a lower value, then that means you would be paid less that what you should be paid.

gilangIDR
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 17, 2018, 04:51:37 PM

What determines the advice is yourself. But we are given freedom in choosing, I think the payment via cryptocurrencies is not a problem. Currently, bitcoin development is on the decline, but some future time may increase. If you accept bitcoin payments then it will help the development of bitcoin, yes because more and more people are using bitcoin in everyday life then it can improve the circumstances and situations that occur at this time.
dogandogru

Activity: 481
Merit: 256

View Profile
January 17, 2018, 07:22:25 PM

I think it all depends upon your belief on cryptocurrency and how user-friendly you are with these cryptos. It could be win-lose situation to have payment in cryptos as they are very volatile. For eg:If you charge $10 for an article and have payment in ETH. IF ETH rises 30% you got profit of $3 without putting much efforts but if in case it drops by 30%, you might have a situation of underpaid for your services.
So in last it all depends upon your belief on the coin in which you are receiving payment.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: