Bitcoin Forum
April 18, 2024, 03:59:57 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Mapping services for bitcoins  (Read 1482 times)
AndrewBuck (OP)

Activity: 123
Merit: 15

View Profile
January 13, 2011, 09:23:12 AM

I would like to offer my services doing mapping work for the Open Street Map project.  I have done quite a bit of work for the project already and as such am able to map and properly tag almost anything that is visible from the satellite photos.  For a fee I will map any area of the world that has aerial photography available.  The price would be dependant on what you would like mapped but it wouldn't be very much in terms of a per hour fee.  Below I have posted some links to work I have previously done for the project so you can see what can be done and approximately what quality of work you can expect to recieve for the area you request mapping for.  I can map anything you can see in the imagery available from the satellite photos at Yahoo maps or Bing maps.  I will have the rest of the week available to work on this project full time.

I think this is a good way to help both the Open Street Map project as well as the bitcoin economy.  If others would like to offer their services in a similar fashion make a post in this thread containing your OSM username as well as links to some examples of your work and prices like I have provided and I will try to edit this post to keep all the current offers in the first post of this thread.

---------------------

OSM Username: AndrewBuck

Mandan, ND, United States
I have added all the buildings visible here (approximately 1/3 of the  downtown) -- 0.5 BTC per city block
Other features in the city (baseball diamonds, sidewalks, bikepaths, etc) -- 5 BTC per hour

Fargo, ND, United States
Buildings -- 0.5 BTC per city block

Ibadan, Nigeria
I have done almost all of the main cluster of streets, rivers, and marketplaces here -- 5 BTC per square mile

Faisalabad, Pakistan
The area in the lower left of what has been mapped was done by me (this is where the hi-res imagery begins) -- 1.0 BTC per square mile

Bitcoin addresses contain a checksum, so it is very unlikely that mistyping an address will cause you to lose money.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
tjohej

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

Magic Staff

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 10:27:13 PM
Last edit: April 19, 2013, 05:44:43 AM by tjohej

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.
I have actually used the services by Andrew Buck so that's the reason I'm waking this thread up from the dead to express what I think.

This is a sample, quick link http://osm.org/go/xbydY_uWH- ,:
The work done are the buildings.
I offered ~0.01(that was the conversion rate that was close to 1$ USD) BTC for this, and I liked the result. That's about it.  Smiley

There may still be hope for the 1st decentralized cryptocurrency which is Bitcoin. How to approach different subjects is key to progress.
AndrewBuck (OP)

View Profile
April 26, 2013, 09:56:34 PM

Just posting a quick note here to say that I have done a bit more mapping in the area linked above and am happy to do more.  The user tjohej who asked me to map there asked me to map that town as there is a bar on the north side there that accepts payment in bitcoin.

There is a site http://coinmap.org/ which shows the places which accept bitcoin on a nice draggable map (using openstreetmap as the basemap).  The coinmap site currently is showing 46 businesses which accept BTC but there are probably a lot more to add.  If people want to add more places to the map they can do so themselves, by editing openstreetmap directly (there is a link on the coinmap site, you just create a username and then start editing like you would a wiki), or you can add a 'note' on openstreetmap if you don't want to bother with editing yourself.  http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Notes

The mapping I did around the bitcoin accepting bar was done for the purposes of putting the bar in 'context' of its surroundings.  My fee for mapping that town to the level seen on the map was 2 dollars, to give you a sense of what you will get for your money (1 dollar for the buildings in the main cluster, and another dollar for cleaning up the roads and doing all the surrounding buildings).  If people have a business of their own they want shown on the map, or want more mapping done around one of the already listed bitcoin accepting places, just let me know.  Of course I can do any other kind of mapping as well, anything I can see in the satellite imagery I can put on the map (roads, buildings, parks, etc).  If you know a business that accepts BTC I will help you put it on the map for free, as this is pretty easy to do, I will only charge for more detailed mapping like tracing buildings, etc.

Hopefully there will be some interest in this offer as I think it is good for both bitcoin and OpenStreetMap.  Both are projects that are worthy of support.

-AndrewBuck
tjohej

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

Magic Staff

View Profile
May 02, 2013, 03:24:27 PM

I paid a little more and then this was done as you can see, quick link to osm map: http://osm.org/go/xbydaUMVE-
This is what I wanted. That the surroundings are shown around Carena(which accepts BTC  Cheesy) with buildings. The coastline looks a bit off but that's only because that in OpenStreetMap there's a huge latency until they render the changes in coastline data to be shown on the map.

I added the correct position of Carena with the help of the owners so that part I managed myself  Cool

There's more work that I've asked and that has been done by Andrew near the Cakes and Cups Bakery. I'll wait until it renders to show what was done there.  Wink

There may still be hope for the 1st decentralized cryptocurrency which is Bitcoin. How to approach different subjects is key to progress.
AndrewBuck (OP)

View Profile
February 20, 2017, 07:38:21 PM

Sorry to bump an ancient thread but I thought this would be the best place to post this so people can see the previous successful transactions for context.

I am interested in offering this service again; i.e. you tell me what you want mapped and either make an offer for payment or I can quote you a price for what you want done.  Obviously the prices quoted above do not reflect the current market value for bitcoins so they will seem very high by today’s standards but my rates will be quite reasonable.

The quality of the my mapping is some of the best available in the community as I have years of experience and have traced nearly a half-million buildings from satellite imagery, as well as tens of thousands of miles of roads, waterways, powerlines, and even underground pipelines.  I can map anything you want mapped as long as it is visible in the imagery (roads, buildings, waterways, landuse, trees, whatever).

Looking forward to hearing from interested clients.  The bitcoin world is a lot bigger now than it was back in 2013 so it will be interesting to see if there is more interest in this.

-AndrewBuck
AndrewBuck (OP)

View Profile
February 21, 2017, 01:55:30 AM

I should point out that I would be happy to do small test samples of my work if people were interested in seeing how the service would work.  Just post a message here indicating where you want mapped (and what kinds of things to map) and I will spend a few minutes mapping free of charge so you can see the quality of the work.

-AndrewBuck
AndrewBuck (OP)

View Profile
February 21, 2017, 09:38:13 AM

Looking through this subforum it is kind of sad to see how it has devolved since I was here years ago.  Almost nothing here besides signature campaigns, captcha solvers, and obvious scams.  Kind of surprised there are no rules about posting such nonsense and that it gets so much attention.
AndrewBuck (OP)

View Profile
February 21, 2017, 02:03:36 PM

Is there a different subforum for offering services people pay for?  This one seems to all be "easy money" scammy stuff.  Would be nice to have a place for people posting offers of real work, rather than scammy captcha crap.  Honestly I am surprised captcha solving jobs are even allowed here, as the only purpose of them is to enable spamming/scamming of sites exactly like this one.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: