Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 09:50:10 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Is BTCTalk selling our email addresses, or are they getting scraped by spammers?  (Read 122 times)
camartinez (OP)

Activity: 10
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 17, 2018, 11:51:43 PM

I registered on BTC Talk with a Gmail alias address that I've never used for any other purpose, nor have I ever published it anywhere. And, to the best of my knowledge, email addresses aren't visible on our profiles, right? Yet, I just received spam email at my address. So, what's going on? Is the site's database susceptible to having emails scraped? Or is someone selling our email addresses? Or what? Either way, it doesn't look good.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"This isn't the kind of software where we can leave so many unresolved bugs that we need a tracker for them." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ibminer
Legendary

Activity: 1819
Merit: 2792

Goonies never say die.

View Profile WWW
January 18, 2018, 12:02:32 AM

I registered on BTC Talk with a Gmail alias address that I've never used for any other purpose, nor have I ever published it anywhere. And, to the best of my knowledge, email addresses aren't visible on our profiles, right? Yet, I just received spam email at my address. So, what's going on? Is the site's database susceptible to having emails scraped? Or is someone selling our email addresses? Or what? Either way, it doesn't look good.

You registered in 2014, the forum has been compromised since then and your e-mail was likely leaked... and I believe the database has been sold multiple times. All you can really do is report the message as Spam to your e-mail provider.
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1067985.0

InvoKing
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1065

✋(▀Ĺ̯ ▀-͠ )

View Profile WWW
January 18, 2018, 12:22:56 AM

You registered in 2014, the forum has been compromised since then and your e-mail was likely leaked... and I believe the database has been sold multiple times. All you can really do is report the message as Spam to your e-mail provider.

And preferably change your password (+/- mail depending from your setting) if you want to secure your bitcointalk account tho.
Personally I never remember having a spam in my mailbox.

PSPD:law and order enforcement!
Press Section Police Department!
camartinez (OP)

Activity: 10

View Profile
January 18, 2018, 01:48:55 AM

Fair enough. Thanks for the replies, everyone. I already marked the email as spam and filed an abuse report with the sender's email provider, in case that'd make a difference. I've probably gotten other spam emails, then, but the one I got earlier today was the first I've seen get through to my inbox and not get filed as spam.

I'll update my password on here too just in case.
TheQuin

Activity: 2576
Merit: 882

Freebitco.in Support https://bit.ly/2I9BVS2

View Profile WWW
January 18, 2018, 08:52:20 AM

You registered in 2014, the forum has been compromised since then and your e-mail was likely leaked

You can enter your email address at https://haveibeenpwned.com/ and it will tell you if it was included in the May 2015 database hack. My one also gives a positive for a BTC-e hack in Oct 2014 so I'm not sure which one is the source of the spam I get.

freebitcoin.TO WIN A  LAMBORGHINI!..

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████████▄▄▄▄▄
                    ▄▄▄▄▄██████████████████████████████████▄▄▄▄
                    ▀██████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄
                    ▄▄████▄█████▄████████████████████████████▄█████▄████▄▄
                    ▀████████▀▀▀████████████████████████████████▀▀▀██████████▄
                      ▀▀▀████▄▄▄███████████████████████████████▄▄▄██████████
                           ▀█████▀  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▀█████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
                   ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
clouder12

Activity: 7

View Profile
January 18, 2018, 09:11:41 AM

You registered in 2014, the forum has been compromised since then and your e-mail was likely leaked

You can enter your email address at https://haveibeenpwned.com/ and it will tell you if it was included in the May 2015 database hack. My one also gives a positive for a BTC-e hack in Oct 2014 so I'm not sure which one is the source of the spam I get.

Quite interesting, i'll try this one :p
Javi_Anibarro

Activity: 1526
Merit: 282

tBTC - https://dapp.tbtc.network/

View Profile
January 18, 2018, 10:37:43 AM

it is for real ?
no wonder i got a lot of emails from an 'alien' which is i really do not know what should i do.
everyday i got 100 emails and sometimes it's more than that.
but i registered in 2016,it is the same thing too ? or not ?
TheQuin

Activity: 2576
Merit: 882

Freebitco.in Support https://bit.ly/2I9BVS2

View Profile WWW
January 18, 2018, 10:45:29 AM

but i registered in 2016,it is the same thing too ? or not ?

The hack was in May 2015 so that would not be possible. Read my post above and use the link I posted and you might find out the source of your email leaking. If there is nothing there then it is also possible you simply signed up to an emailing list unwittingly by not checking a box when registering somewhere or you put your email in plain text somewhere on the internet where it could be scraped.

freebitcoin.TO WIN A  LAMBORGHINI!..

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████████▄▄▄▄▄
                    ▄▄▄▄▄██████████████████████████████████▄▄▄▄
                    ▀██████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄
                    ▄▄████▄█████▄████████████████████████████▄█████▄████▄▄
                    ▀████████▀▀▀████████████████████████████████▀▀▀██████████▄
                      ▀▀▀████▄▄▄███████████████████████████████▄▄▄██████████
                           ▀█████▀  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▀█████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
                   ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: