Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 01:43:43 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Best Method to Store IDs on the blockchain  (Read 130 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
azmojo (OP)

Activity: 476
Merit: 251

View Profile
January 17, 2018, 12:02:00 AM

I have a client who needs to have KYC for users on the platform. We will have a KYC service provider validate the ID, but we do not want to store any PII (Personally identifiable information) ourselves.
It seems like we could take their ID, encrypt it (SHA256 or similar), then associate it with a auto-generated user ID number, and store it on the ETH blockchain. The platform will simply reference them with the auto-generated ID number.

Is there anything wrong with this idea or approach? Are there any recommendations to do it any other way? While the client is using ETH for their platform, I see no reason why we'd have to use ETH solely for the user ID/KYC functionality.

Obviously our concern is security, as the client would be screwed if someone figured out how to decrypt the IDs. Is this a realistic threat?

Does anyone see any problems with this plan?

▄▄
     ▄███
    █████
██████████████▄▄
██████████████████▄
███████████████████
█████     ▀▀█████████              ███████████▄    ███████████  ████      ███      ████      ██████████▄     ▄██████████▄
█████         ▀███████             ███▀▀▀▀▀▀▀███   ███▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  █████     ███     ██████     ███▀▀▀▀▀▀███   ████▀▀▀▀▀▀████
████            ██████             ███        ███  ███          ██████    ███    ███  ███    ███       ██   ███        ███
███▀            ██████             ███        ███  █████████    ███ ███   ███    ███  ███    ███▄▄▄▄▄▄███   ███        ███
█▀              ██████             ███        ███  ███▀▀▀▀▀▀    ███  ███  ███   ███    ███   ██████████▀    ███        ███
                ██████             ███        ███  ███          ███   ███ ███   ██████████   ███  ▀███▄     ███        ███
              ▄███████             ███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███   ███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄  ███    ██████  ███▀▀▀▀▀▀███  ███    ▀███▄   ████▄▄▄▄▄▄████
          ▄▄█████████              ███████████▀    ███████████  ███     █████  ███      ███  ███      ▀███   ▀██████████▀
 █████████████████
▄████████████████▀
█████████████▀▀
    █████
    ███▀
    ▀▀
|CRYPTOCURRENCY WALLET AND
WORLDWIDE DEBIT CARDS         ||
                               ▄▄▄▄
                             ▄██████▄
    ██████████████████████████▀ ▄▄ ▀█████████
    ██                     ███  █   ███    ██
  ▄███████████████████████████████████████████▄
 ███████████████████████████████████████████████
████▀                                       ▀████
███                                           ███
███                    ███████▄               ███
███   ▄█████████▄      ██    ▀██        ▄████████
███   ██       ██              ██      ██▀    ███
███   ██  ███  ██              ██      ██  ██ ███
███   ██       ██      ██    ▄██       ██▄    ███
███   ▀█████████▀      ███████▀         ▀████████
███     ██  ██  ██  ██  ██  ██  ██  ██        ███
███      ██  ██  ██  ██  ██  ██  ██  ██       ███
████▄                                       ▄████
  ▀███████████████████████████████████████████▀
|

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Activity + Trust + Earned Merit == The Most Recognized Users on Bitcointalk
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
piotr_n
Legendary

Activity: 2053
Merit: 1354

aka tonikt

View Profile WWW
January 17, 2018, 01:33:47 AM

why do it on ethereum, not on bitcoin?

Check out gocoin - my original project of full bitcoin node & cold wallet written in Go.
PGP fingerprint: AB9E A551 E262 A87A 13BB  9059 1BE7 B545 CDF3 FD0E
azmojo (OP)

View Profile
January 17, 2018, 02:37:06 AM

why do it on ethereum, not on bitcoin?
The project is already built out on ETH. As I said for identity we can use any blockchain, but I would need a technical reason to use something other than ETH.

▄▄
     ▄███
    █████
██████████████▄▄
██████████████████▄
███████████████████
█████     ▀▀█████████              ███████████▄    ███████████  ████      ███      ████      ██████████▄     ▄██████████▄
█████         ▀███████             ███▀▀▀▀▀▀▀███   ███▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  █████     ███     ██████     ███▀▀▀▀▀▀███   ████▀▀▀▀▀▀████
████            ██████             ███        ███  ███          ██████    ███    ███  ███    ███       ██   ███        ███
███▀            ██████             ███        ███  █████████    ███ ███   ███    ███  ███    ███▄▄▄▄▄▄███   ███        ███
█▀              ██████             ███        ███  ███▀▀▀▀▀▀    ███  ███  ███   ███    ███   ██████████▀    ███        ███
                ██████             ███        ███  ███          ███   ███ ███   ██████████   ███  ▀███▄     ███        ███
              ▄███████             ███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███   ███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄  ███    ██████  ███▀▀▀▀▀▀███  ███    ▀███▄   ████▄▄▄▄▄▄████
          ▄▄█████████              ███████████▀    ███████████  ███     █████  ███      ███  ███      ▀███   ▀██████████▀
 █████████████████
▄████████████████▀
█████████████▀▀
    █████
    ███▀
    ▀▀
                               ▄▄▄▄
                             ▄██████▄
|
boogy07

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 17, 2018, 02:56:51 AM

I have a client who needs to have KYC for users on the platform. We will have a KYC service provider validate the ID, but we do not want to store any PII (Personally identifiable information) ourselves.
It seems like we could take their ID, encrypt it (SHA256 or similar), then associate it with a auto-generated user ID number, and store it on the ETH blockchain. The platform will simply reference them with the auto-generated ID number.

Is there anything wrong with this idea or approach? Are there any recommendations to do it any other way? While the client is using ETH for their platform, I see no reason why we'd have to use ETH solely for the user ID/KYC functionality.

Obviously our concern is security, as the client would be screwed if someone figured out how to decrypt the IDs. Is this a realistic threat?

You should be able to handle this process and store the information on the ETH Blockchain.

I would suggest speaking with a Solidity developer. They will give you the specifics about programming the system.

A database can be in various forms, there should be no restriction with the Ethereum Platform.

https://solidity.readthedocs.io/en/develop/
azmojo (OP)

View Profile
January 17, 2018, 03:15:37 AM

You should be able to handle this process and store the information on the ETH Blockchain.

I would suggest speaking with a Solidity developer. They will give you the specifics about programming the system.

A database can be in various forms, there should be no restriction with the Ethereum Platform.

I have experts. My only question is if this is a bad idea or if there is a better way to do It?

▄▄
     ▄███
    █████
██████████████▄▄
██████████████████▄
███████████████████
 █████████████████
▄████████████████▀
█████████████▀▀
    █████
    ███▀
    ▀▀
                               ▄▄▄▄
                             ▄██████▄
|
boogy07

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 17, 2018, 01:56:49 PM

I have experts. My only question is if this is a bad idea or if there is a better way to do It?

Wouldn't your Experts be able to answer that question - they are experts after all?
azmojo (OP)

View Profile
January 17, 2018, 03:06:14 PM

Wouldn't your Experts be able to answer that question - they are experts after all?
Yes, but their knowledge cannot compare to consulting "the crowd." I trust the people on here to poke holes in the plan or to know about methods or technologies that we may not have heard of or looked into yet. To assume that My and my team know all would be arrogant.

▄▄
     ▄███
    █████
██████████████▄▄
██████████████████▄
███████████████████
 █████████████████
▄████████████████▀
█████████████▀▀
    █████
    ███▀
    ▀▀
                               ▄▄▄▄
                             ▄██████▄