Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 09:53:56 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: New Project: Bitcoin Alerts  (Read 1180 times)
pjs (OP)

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 10, 2011, 10:07:52 PM

I finished writing a (VERY) simple website over the weekend to send out email alerts when a specific bitcoin data source goes above or below a threshold.  by data source i mean one of (high   low   avg   vol   last   buy   sell).  Currently, i am only tracking mtgox, but i will probably add more data sources in the future.  The site is live but in beta mode, so it should be reasonable to expect that any data you add to the site might be deleted or anything like that (i would at least send out an email before this happens anyways).  I designed the site to be compatible with very simple automation, so you could easily automate this in a perl script or whatever.  the password is really just to prevent people from setting alerts on someone else's email, not really meant for security (since the only piece of private info is the email anyways).  passwords are salted and sha2 hashed, so they are secure themselves, but please don't use any passwords from important accounts.  I will probably convert the form to a POST form in the near future, but for now it is just a GET form.

To use the site, register an email address (with password), then add any number of alerts you want.  Be warned that data is refreshed every minute and that your alert will send every minute that the condition is true.  so be careful when setting your high and low, otherwise you could expect a lot of emails.

The website is http://btcalerts.errorok.com/

As i stated earlier, i just wrote this website this weekend, so it is very fresh.  I welcome suggestions for improvements.  Let me know what you think.

Oh, and mods, i would eventually like to post this in the main sections (not yet, but once i clean things up and make some improvements).  Thanks.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Unlike traditional banking where clients have only a few account numbers, with Bitcoin people can create an unlimited number of accounts (addresses). This can be used to easily track payments, and it improves anonymity.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
bitrain

Activity: 462
Merit: 251

View Profile
July 11, 2011, 12:31:59 AM

Usefull one, thank you ! Keep going Smiley !
Cheers!

◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇
ICO starts 1st Nov.
◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇

████████████████████████ PLAYKEY: DECENTRALIZED CLOUD GAMING PLATFORM ████████████████████████
█████████████ Getting lost in the sea of cryptocurrencies? Choose Playkey token! █████████████
Website | BitcoinTalk | Slack | Twitter | LinkedIn | Medium | Facebook | Reddit | Telegram

◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇
ICO starts 1st Nov.
◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇
haydent

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 11, 2011, 12:33:54 AM

i had this idea about 2 weeks ago and yesterday gave up on it due to time constraints.

it was codenamed bitms and primary focus was sms notification.

so please if you do this , add sms for all those developing nations who dont have smart phones with 3g internet

2x Gigabyte 6950 OC @ 920/450 w/ ati tray tools (1 shader modded) - 760Mhs on ozco.in 0% fee aus pool
btc: 1HS5Brzcsh7XkJn566XYbvfpa2JuBRBdss
pjs (OP)

View Profile
July 11, 2011, 03:19:08 AM

I would love to add sms notification, but im not sure how to do it.  the site is written in ruby (just 5 files).  So if there is a quick and easy ruby sms library or something, that would be perfect.  email is easy, if sms is just as easy i will definitely add it.
nmat

Activity: 602
Merit: 501

View Profile
July 11, 2011, 03:21:29 AM

I would love to add sms notification, but im not sure how to do it.  the site is written in ruby (just 5 files).  So if there is a quick and easy ruby sms library or something, that would be perfect.  email is easy, if sms is just as easy i will definitely add it.

The problem with sms is that you will probably have to pay them if you send too many. There are some services online that provide an API that you can use to send sms, but they will charge you for each one. Also, this is region dependent... You are talking about US, right?
haydent

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 11, 2011, 03:42:20 AM

yeah we looked into it, and it was going to be a paid service where you loaded btc into your account towards sms's. there are api's for company's that offer service, and various services offer various country's.

2x Gigabyte 6950 OC @ 920/450 w/ ati tray tools (1 shader modded) - 760Mhs on ozco.in 0% fee aus pool
btc: 1HS5Brzcsh7XkJn566XYbvfpa2JuBRBdss
pjs (OP)

View Profile
July 11, 2011, 03:55:21 AM

The problem with sms is that you will probably have to pay them if you send too many. There are some services online that provide an API that you can use to send sms, but they will charge you for each one. Also, this is region dependent... You are talking about US, right?

hosting for the site is in the US yea.
flyswatta

Activity: 100
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 01, 2011, 01:27:04 AM

I would be cool to have it alert when the difficulty changes and what the percentage change is.  Something clever like:
Bitcoin difficulty changed: +09.19%

Maybe put a date and time stamp, but we can figure that out.

Also, is this the same site as this one?  http://btc-alert.appspot.com/
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: