Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 07:17:56 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: BFL ASIC Firmware & Hardware, Understanding & Optimization  (Read 15606 times)
Roy Badami

Activity: 563
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 13, 2013, 07:20:39 PM
Last edit: September 16, 2013, 05:28:26 PM by Roy Badami

I'm happy to announce that my friend is producing  this improved FAN PLATES and he is selling them on www.bitmit.net.

His account name is wowo and I can confirm that wowe is the official manufacture of my fan plate design.
Look on bitmit for 'FAN PLATE SET for BFL SINGLE'S'. I'm sure you will find it there.

Just to say I bought a set of the fan plates on bitmit and am pleased with them.  Apart from looking better, they do reduce the noise from the airflow.

But don't expect too much of an overall noise reduction from this mod alone.  At least on my unit, the fan motor/bearing noise is significantly louder than the airflow noise - and of course the improved fan plates won't do anything about that.

@BTC-engineer:  any progress on finding replacement fans that run quieter without compromising the airflow?

roy

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
jml25

Activity: 40
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 16, 2013, 01:51:55 PM

@BFL-engineer:  any progress on finding replacement fans that run quieter without compromising the airflow?

I think you mean @BTC-Engineer, but yes, I was just about to ask this same question Smiley 
Roy Badami

Activity: 563

View Profile
September 16, 2013, 05:28:49 PM

@BFL-engineer:  any progress on finding replacement fans that run quieter without compromising the airflow?

I think you mean @BTC-Engineer, but yes, I was just about to ask this same question Smiley 

I do indeed.  Now fixed in the original post.
polarys

Activity: 2

View Profile
September 22, 2013, 06:31:16 AM

I just wanted to comment on the fan plate set that I received from Germany yesterday.  First of all, I was pleasantly surprised to receive it in only 12 days considering it was shipped from Germany to Canada.  It was super-easy to install onto my Little Single -- only had about 5-10 minutes of downtime to remove the old fan plates and install the new ones.

I wanted some quantitative measurements of the impact the plates had, so I made some before and after measurements.  Sound level was recorded using a Radio Shack 33-2050 sound level meter (analog), set to "A" weight and slow response, facing the intake of the LS and spaced 20cm away from the unit.  The ambient room temperature is 21.4C.

Before:
  Sound Level: 74dB
  Temperature: 68C

After:
  Sound Level: 67dB
  Temperature: 61C

Not bad for such a simple modification!  I wasn't expecting a miracle - I mean, these units are LOUD and there's no getting around it.  Now it's slightly less loud (but still loud).  That's mainly why I keep it down in the nice cool basement - so nobody can hear it.  I'm guessing that replacing the fans with quieter models would help, too - but the more I mod this thing, the less ROI there will be to be had (and having only received it on Sept. 2, it's days are already numbered).

Anyways, just wanted to thank you for making these plates available and even if it's not making my hashrate go higher, at least it's running the unit at a cooler temperature which should help its longevity (or perhaps give more headroom for overclocking, if it ever becomes possible for lay-people).
Fking

Activity: 136
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 26, 2013, 12:25:23 PM

Other than the plates, did anyone made any other mods that significantly reduced  the noise? What would be the quitest fans out there and is it even worth replacing them?
I would expect to at least half the DB, otherwise i'll just need to find a storage room to place it.

This thing is impossible to be kept in a room where people try to do something, it's like a jet fighter Smiley
joris

Activity: 141

View Profile
September 26, 2013, 06:23:01 PM

Pick a Noctua fan, which is claimed to last about 160,000 hours (who knows, maybe it's handy to have a working, second-hand fan at hand in 2029 ;-), it hardly makes any sound and you can mod your miner to stand in a vertical position (putting the fan horizontal) for even more efficient cooling.

And oh, btw, they're ugly pinkish with brownisch details. Imho still better than any led decorated fan...

;-)
eestimees

Activity: 651

View Profile
September 26, 2013, 07:42:55 PM

Other than the plates, did anyone made any other mods that significantly reduced  the noise? What would be the quitest fans out there and is it even worth replacing them?
I would expect to at least half the DB, otherwise i'll just need to find a storage room to place it.

This thing is impossible to be kept in a room where people try to do something, it's like a jet fighter Smiley

I did here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=286326.0

eestimees
Z80

Activity: 280
Merit: 136

View Profile
October 08, 2013, 12:19:10 AM

@BTC-engineer:

I will look for acceptable, fan replacements which are not so noisy in the next days and will let you know.

Have you found a acceptable fan-replacement?

(oder hab ich das hier irgendwie überlesen... mein englisch ist nicht so lecker..) :-)

Gruss Z80

Es ist schwierig zu antworten wenn man die Frage nicht versteht...
Sc@rF@c3

Activity: 56

View Profile
October 16, 2013, 03:36:04 PM

Nice to see a thread about the Bitforce SC Noise

Once the 4 Bitforce SC 60 GH/s devices were set up I was in shock, I was expecting something just a bit quiter considering the original spec of one fan.
Most people bought these to run at home, not in a data center where they belong.

When I searched no water cooling solution.. aagh!
Running out of time before my second order shipped, I converted my second delivery slot because the insane noise 4 these devices make, I could not risk doubling the noise in my middle flat fearing the noise violation police running 4 more miners.
I now am on the waiting list for a year hosting of 500GH/s, hope I get ROI.

Now to solutions.
I read a post here to reduce the loud acoustic level, what do you guys think?
I am thinking that they offer a quieter SC than the modified end panels.
http://www.ewal.net/2013/08/15/bitcoin-mining-update-butterfly-labs-sc-singles/

I have also seen prototypes of the Waterblock, and modified end panels which offer 10db noise reduction which could help a lot.

Svennisen

Activity: 125

View Profile
October 27, 2013, 12:20:29 AM

Getting new fans for the Single tomorrow. But, what cfm value should I atleast have on my new fans?

Anyone know what cfm the original fans have? (cfm = airflow).
And also, do I need to have PWM fans?

Got help from me? Feel free to tip me Smiley   BTC: 13hrdpUSJWhe2n4g4kTSHEx4GYUF9v5CU3
Sc@rF@c3

Activity: 56

View Profile
October 27, 2013, 02:19:15 AM

Getting new fans for the Single tomorrow. But, what cfm value should I atleast have on my new fans?

Anyone know what cfm the original fans have? (cfm = airflow).
And also, do I need to have PWM fans?

I am running the 60GH/s devices naked, with 92mm Noctua NF-B9 fans.
I have Honywell HY900E fans blowing the heat away on fan level 1
The acoustics are 42db for 3 miners  Smiley
My temperatures are between 65 and 77

I have a feeling that the Noctua's I have have have a lower airflow than the BFL fans. I cannot measure this, and the BFL fans have no markings on it.

Good luck
johnyj
Legendary

Activity: 1988
Merit: 1012

Beyond Imagination

View Profile
October 27, 2013, 03:23:09 AM

Replaced with GT 1850 on both end, much lower noise, temp down to 58c. But the mod that remove the 92MM fan and add a forced airflow channel does not work for me, temp went over 70c in a couple of minutes. Changing the 92MM fan to face downwards also does not work, that reduced the overall airflow speed through the box, thus raise the temp eventually, seems the pull configuration is there to improve the overall airflow

Svennisen

Activity: 125

View Profile
October 30, 2013, 03:06:24 PM

Ended up replacing my fans with:
VORTEX CF-V12S
70 CFM and 17.7 dB each.

Removed the side panels because they block the airflow like hell, whoever designed them should be fired.

Temps is now 68-70C and sound is manageable. Can sit on skype and play computer games in the same room without anyone complaining.

Got help from me? Feel free to tip me Smiley   BTC: 13hrdpUSJWhe2n4g4kTSHEx4GYUF9v5CU3
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  

Jump to: