Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 11:01:07 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they believe that the creator of this topic displays some red flags which make them high-risk. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: USB eruptors are terrible or have I been unlucky?  (Read 5089 times)
gravitate (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 18, 2013, 07:13:49 PM

I bought 10 block eruptors for around 1k and I was going to be making a bitcoin every 15 days. Now it has gone up to every 30 days! What is all that about? No way I am going to get my ROI. Plus the eruptors are much cheaper now so more people will buy them then difficulty rating will go up. I may have we'll flushed my money down the toilet. My next 1k I spend will actually be on buying bitcoins not this ASIC rubbish its a fools game

To peel or not to peel.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
mik3

Activity: 245
Merit: 104

View Profile
August 18, 2013, 07:16:38 PM

I hope you are joking....... this is just.... no words.

don't invest in miners if you have no idea how difficulty or free markets work.
k9quaint
Legendary

Activity: 1190

View Profile
August 18, 2013, 07:18:34 PM

I bought 10 block eruptors for around 1k and I was going to be making a bitcoin every 15 days. Now it has gone up to every 30 days! What is all that about? No way I am going to get my ROI. Plus the eruptors are much cheaper now so more people will buy them then difficulty rating will go up. I may have we'll flushed my money down the toilet. My next 1k I spend will actually be on buying bitcoins not this ASIC rubbish its a fools game

You should have done a bit more research before you bought.
At least you didn't order BFL.

Bitcoin is backed by the full faith and credit of YouTube comments.
pixl8tr

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 18, 2013, 07:19:38 PM

Wait until next weeks difficulty adjustment, ~61MM   Roll Eyes

who | grep -i blonde | date; cd ~; unzip; touch; finger; bjobs; uptime; strip;. grab; mount; yes; umount; sleep; brun;
Donations: 18ByQvDUmaMKkQbYvUWmnPSu9BWeNxVMoc
mmitech
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1001

things you own end up owning you

View Profile
August 18, 2013, 07:21:56 PM

we all knew that no one would make a ROI out of them in Bitcoin prospective, but people like you never listen and kept buying them like crazy, and most ASICs today wont make a ROI as well , there will be allways a new technology taking over the old one and this will go so fast that each time you buy a prototype you will be mining to buy the next one and not to make any profit, the only one is making profit are the companies making these ASICs, but again people still threw their money away.

I said this many times and I refused to buy an ASIC and I started few threads about this, but again this is only my $0.02
gravitate (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 18, 2013, 07:23:00 PM

I new the difficulty will go up but not that much. Anyway I do understand it just wanted to know if anyone had any similar experiences?

To peel or not to peel.
millsdmb

Activity: 322

View Profile
August 18, 2013, 07:25:30 PM

I new the difficulty will go up but not that much. Anyway I do understand it just wanted to know if anyone had any similar experiences?
yes I have had similar experience but with 10 I would have to consider solo mining. It might be the only way to get lucky.

Hitler Finds out about the Butterfly Labs Monarch http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jYNMKdv36w
Get $10 worth of BTC Free when you buy $100 worth at coinbase.com/?r=51dffa8970f85a53bd000034
Xialla
Legendary

Activity: 1036

/dev/null

View Profile
August 18, 2013, 07:26:10 PM

mate, please, before you pre-order/order anything else, just check this board, related threads and make simple calculation here: http://mining.thegenesisblock.com/
mmitech
Legendary

View Profile
August 18, 2013, 07:31:17 PM

yes I have had similar experience but with 10 I would have to consider solo mining. It might be the only way to get lucky.

mining with 10 blocks will take you forever to find a block, well if we are talking about luck here, you could solo mine with your GPU and wish that you will be so lucky to find a block
gravitate (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 18, 2013, 07:51:46 PM

yeah I will check here first defo. I might as well have bought a bitcoin for 500 pounds lol

To peel or not to peel.
Bogart
Legendary

Activity: 966

View Profile
August 18, 2013, 07:54:01 PM
Last edit: August 18, 2013, 08:15:24 PM by Bogart

Check with where you bought them.  A lot of resellers are offering discounts to their early customers who paid a high price for these.

"All safe deposit boxes in banks or financial institutions have been sealed... and may only be opened in the presence of an agent of the I.R.S." - President F.D. Roosevelt, 1933
bcp19

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 18, 2013, 08:13:09 PM

Wait until next weeks difficulty adjustment, ~61MM   Roll Eyes
67 mil now

I do not suffer fools gladly... "Captain!  We're surrounded!"
I embrace my inner Kool-Aid.
trichome

Activity: 48
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 18, 2013, 08:30:04 PM

No offense meant during this post at all but when you bought these people have been saying for months how these were going to be simply a short fad and even a toy or miner for the unaware for edu.  You really thought you were going to make ROI with usb block erupters at the price u paid with diff est where they were.

I am honestly interested in your thought pattern that lead to this decision to buy?  Scratching my head here...Are you sure you want to invest 1000 in bitcoins not that its a bad idea...point being be educated about what your investments(the get rich quick phase of btc has long passed).  

BTW You will never find a block with these solo mining, you might wanna buy lottery tickets with this mentality.
the joint
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1020

View Profile
August 18, 2013, 09:08:05 PM

No offense meant during this post at all but when you bought these people have been saying for months how these were going to be simply a short fad and even a toy or miner for the unaware for edu.  You really thought you were going to make ROI with usb block erupters at the price u paid with diff est where they were.

I am honestly interested in your thought pattern that lead to this decision to buy?  Scratching my head here...Are you sure you want to invest 1000 in bitcoins not that its a bad idea...point being be educated about what your investments(the get rich quick phase of btc has long passed).  

BTW You will never find a block with these solo mining, you might wanna buy lottery tickets with this mentality.

FYI I submitted a share difficulty 121M with block erupter
gravitate (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 18, 2013, 09:13:00 PM

It's all very well saying I was stupid to buy them. Obvious really. I just did not expect the difficulty to increase so much over such a short time

To peel or not to peel.
mmitech
Legendary

View Profile
August 18, 2013, 09:21:59 PM

FYI I submitted a share difficulty 121M with block erupter

and did you find a block ? the probability of finding a block with 330Mh/s is more like playing lottery
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
August 18, 2013, 09:22:38 PM

It's all very well saying I was stupid to buy them. Obvious really. I just did not expect the difficulty to increase so much over such a short time

Ok chalk it up to a relatively cheap lesson learned.  ASICs are anywhere from 100x to 1000x as efficient as GPUs.  Difficulty is going to keep going up and up and up and up.   Difficulty 1 billion (you will make ~1/20th per day that you do now) is certainly possible and probable over the next 6-12 months.  It all depends on how irrational miners are and how much ASIC manufacturers discount prices, and how efficient (MH/W) the 28nm chips end up being.  Worst case (from miner perspective) a difficulty of 2.5 billion (50x current value) is likely an upper bound (probably won't happen but certainly possible).
mmitech
Legendary

View Profile
August 18, 2013, 09:23:15 PM

even if you bought them 3 months ago you would never make ROI with the diff.increase ratio of 50% a month (which is really small).
millsdmb

Activity: 322

View Profile
August 18, 2013, 09:23:33 PM

and did you find a block ? the probability of finding a block with 330Mh/s is more like playing lottery
There are better odds to get your money back running the BE solo than there are on PPS/PPLNS.

Hitler Finds out about the Butterfly Labs Monarch http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jYNMKdv36w
Get $10 worth of BTC Free when you buy $100 worth at coinbase.com/?r=51dffa8970f85a53bd000034
bronan

Activity: 774
Merit: 500

Lazy Lurker Reads Alot

View Profile
August 18, 2013, 09:25:17 PM

Well lol welcome to the world of bitcoin Cheesy

However to be honest in this game the pools luck is a very important factor.
If you hit a bad block it can be take many many days to find the needed hit.
Ask the users of ozcoin who mine a bit longer, there they still have memories of weeks looking at a non winner block
I think if you really am unlucky this block can go over 8 billion shares, however i have no clue how how long it can take if you do not the find a block in time.
To be honest with the growing difficulty we will have a hard time to make the bought BE pay back their costs.
In a few months its probably  not doing enough to cover the costs of running them unless and here comes the clue btc grows in value
As soon as btc would get a value corresponding to the difficulty all of us not longer can complain not getting ROI no matter how hard it gets.
But yes the big miners make again good profits even without the value gone up yet

You wont hit a block for years in a row solo .... not a good option even with 10 Gh i am sure it will not workout
I have been solo mining for a long time with very low difficulty compared to now and never ever found a block solo
Hell even in the what is it 4  to 5 years into the btc pool mining only got one freaking block at bitminter a year ago.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: