Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 01:15:31 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How to start a hidden miner?  (Read 1374 times)
albertorma (OP)

Activity: 173
Merit: 105

View Profile WWW
January 17, 2018, 02:04:59 PM

We have a lot of windows computers in the company I own. All of them with expensive and fast CPUs. Already did some calculations and even with a low CPU usage (0 impact in the tasks we need to do) It would be very profitable to mine!

I want to configure some cryptonight miners running in background (no screen, no terminal) so employees won't get worried about "that weird screen".

I tried autorunning a .bat with this code: START /B xmr-stak-cpu

However It's not what I wanted and reopens the miner immediately.

Any ideas about how should I do this?

Thanks in advance Smiley

nsummy

Activity: 1179
Merit: 131

View Profile
January 17, 2018, 03:51:42 PM

We have a lot of windows computers in the company I own. All of them with expensive and fast CPUs. Already did some calculations and even with a low CPU usage (0 impact in the tasks we need to do) It would be very profitable to mine!

I want to configure some cryptonight miners running in background (no screen, no terminal) so employees won't get worried about "that weird screen".

Thanks in advance Smiley

Here you go, don't get fired Smiley  http://www.robvanderwoude.com/battech_hideconsole.php
Turanz

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 17, 2018, 04:01:16 PM

im using this solution:

CreateObject("Wscript.Shell").Run "miner.exe",0,True

Save as filename.vbs and drag to startup windows folder
JKresty

Activity: 17

View Profile WWW
January 17, 2018, 04:05:42 PM
Last edit: January 18, 2018, 03:13:58 AM by JKresty

A couple suggestions to be a bit more discreet.

- Rename the application files to something other than XMR Stak, something obscure and generic like "system" "netsys" etc.... so if noticed by someone it won't be a dead give away on a Google search of "xmr stak" or even worse they know what XMR is, mining is popular you'd be surprised who is doing it.

- Run it as a scheduled task off hours, don't get greedy *edit "owner"

- Make sure anti-virus doesn't flag the software, this is a sure way to bring attention to the PC and applications running on it.

- Mine local pools as to not generate out of the country traffic that will look suspicious if it is big enough network to have advanced firewalls and net security.

Good luck, happy mining.  

dhouse

Activity: 266
Merit: 2

View Profile
January 17, 2018, 04:09:34 PM

lol you should probably tell your employees
mshordja

Activity: 146
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
January 17, 2018, 04:28:30 PM

nice topic , i found it without search about it Grin

[YAZ]

Activity: 208
Merit: 16

View Profile
January 17, 2018, 04:28:55 PM

im using this solution:

CreateObject("Wscript.Shell").Run "miner.exe",0,True

Save as filename.vbs and drag to startup windows folder

I have tried the same, this is working perfectly. Don't forget to "super hide" the folder. And one important thing is, don't use all CPU resources, 50% it's enough.
joblo
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1114

View Profile
January 17, 2018, 04:39:47 PM

It's not the "weird screen" that will worry employees, it's the mysterious process using so much CPU.
You're trying to run a program often identified as malware and trying to do it surrepticiously.
No, that won't raise any suspicion.

If you're really the owner you way overspent on your PCs if you can run a CPU miner without affecting
the primary task. Not the move of a smart business owner.

You will be found out by the employees, your deception will be exposed, and your integrity as a boss/owner damaged.

Or you're lying and just an employee trying to scam your boss.

Either way you're a lyer, but I say do it, and get caught. People like you need to be exposed.

AKA JayDDee, cpuminer-opt developer. https://github.com/JayDDee/cpuminer-opt
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=5226770.msg53865575#msg53865575
BTC: 12tdvfF7KmAsihBXQXynT6E6th2c2pByTT,
thebigjdoe

Activity: 78

View Profile
January 17, 2018, 04:55:12 PM

Thanks in advance Smiley

Here you go, don't get fired Smiley  http://www.robvanderwoude.com/battech_hideconsole.php

Get fired from the company he owns?
Marvell2

Activity: 1148
Merit: 132

View Profile
January 17, 2018, 04:59:22 PM

Thanks in advance Smiley

Get fired from the company he owns?

lol he doesnt own it, if he owned it he would be damned about what the employees think about some 'wierd' screen haha

he probabaly just said that to keep people off his case
thebigjdoe

Activity: 78

View Profile
January 17, 2018, 05:01:55 PM

Thanks in advance Smiley

To actually answer the question, use the task scheduler to run it "whether a user logs in or not" at every boot and it will not open a cmd window
albertorma (OP)

Activity: 173
Merit: 105

View Profile WWW
January 17, 2018, 05:49:26 PM

Thanks in advance Smiley

This worked, thanks!

Also thanks turanz and joblo for your great ideas.

I am considering all your suggestions guys. Did not expect this amount of useful answers, you guys are a great community  Wink

YaStaer

Activity: 137

View Profile
January 17, 2018, 07:57:55 PM

I use the job planner and run the miners on behalf of the user "system" when turning on the computer. You can also configure the BIOS to turn on the computer after a working day, and in the same scheduler turn it off before people come to work  Wink
percy_tc

Activity: 583
Merit: 106

View Profile
January 17, 2018, 08:04:49 PM

Minergate is not the best program but it has a console version which is well hidden.
YaStaer

Activity: 137

View Profile
January 17, 2018, 08:09:12 PM

Minergate is not the best program but it has a console version which is well hidden.

I use xmr-stak-cpu. Excellent miner for processors from Intel. It is easy to configure (knowing the amount of smartcash and the presence of AES) and antiviruses do not delete it.
rapid821

Activity: 1

View Profile
August 25, 2018, 02:40:16 PM

I made a version specifically for hidding (xmr-stak): https://github.com/rapid821/xmr-stak-hide/releases
Xexen4

Activity: 756
Merit: 290

View Profile
August 27, 2018, 02:55:49 PM

minergate admin version running as a service. i tried it before and works as well.
https://minergate.com/downloads/console
also you can write a bat file for windows scheduled tasks to schedule specified times.
Kahana82

Activity: 11

View Profile
August 27, 2018, 03:15:46 PM

Something I did for convenience is create a service with NSSM (https://nssm.cc) to run the miner.
NSSM can be configured to keep the console hidden and has options for user, cup-priority and affinity and so on.

Then you could just create a scheduled task to start/stop the miner automatically when you would want it to run or not.
Just rename the exe of the miner and put it somewhere in the system files, as it will be shown in the task manager.

Just an idea: maybe more covert would be to do the mining through a web based miner and then include that in NSSM.
The user would only see a browser process in his task manager but would not be able to interact with the window (hidden).
tg88
Legendary

Activity: 2422
Merit: 1412

View Profile
August 27, 2018, 09:23:20 PM

Very cool, thanks for the tip;
kineda

Activity: 51

View Profile
August 28, 2018, 03:06:08 AM

Make sure you install it on your main sql server and everyone in accounting.  that one miner from russia stays pretty hidden
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: