Bitcoin Forum
June 24, 2024, 11:39:45 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Long term investing - Newbie question  (Read 271 times)
Simyboye (OP)

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 17, 2018, 02:39:02 PM

Hi there, wishing to invest in the crypto markets however wanted to ask that if  I'm long term investing in say Ripple, do I just buy it and stick it in my wallet or do I put it on the market and let it sit there? If it's on the market there's stop losses and take profits like FX trading?
Thanks
bitcoin8x

Activity: 65
Merit: 5

View Profile
January 18, 2018, 09:14:25 AM

If you're in it for the long term, there's no point in storing the currency on an exchange. Apart from being unnecessary, it is also unsafe. If you can afford a hardware wallet, I would recommend that. If you're investing every single penny you own, then printing a paper wallet might be a good alternative.
raoul78

Activity: 38
Merit: 2

View Profile
January 18, 2018, 10:43:00 AM

The coins I don't trade with are on my Ledger wallet. Only short terms stay on and exchange.

█   REALTYCOIN   █
the most PROFITABLE place to INVEST in the world
▬  ICO is LIVE  ▬ (http://therealtycoin.io)
rohanshinde

Activity: 44
Merit: 4

View Profile
January 18, 2018, 10:46:32 AM

If you are in long term, I suggest you take it off exchange and put it in Ripple desktop wallet.
I would also suggest you to invest in DeepOnion. It's a privacy coin and has a lot of potential. Soon it will be in top 10. Take a look at it.

⚡ DeepOnion ⚡ Anonymous & Untraceable Cryptocurrency
⚡ Join DeepOnion Airdrop NOW! ⚡[/url (https://deeponion.org/apply.php?ref=1553108)
golek upo

Activity: 214
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 18, 2018, 06:08:51 PM

If you are investing for the long term, we recommend saving your coins using offline wallet. I think it's very safe.

deccarro

Activity: 30
Merit: 6

View Profile
January 18, 2018, 06:29:53 PM

Is there any wallet I can use my smartphone as hardware for?
Simyboye (OP)

View Profile
January 18, 2018, 07:29:44 PM

Thanks guys, appreciate it.
Got a nano s wallet so ready to go, I'm in the UK so it's just a case of finding the best place to buy. Looking to buy tokens too like IOTA and a few others.
Cuedoc

Activity: 1

View Profile
January 18, 2018, 08:16:10 PM

Hi I'm brand new to this but relatively intelligent. I could use some newbie pointers as I'm sure many could. Any advice at all from some veterans in the market that have done well? Maybe even just a thread to go read for newbs.
Simyboye (OP)

View Profile
January 18, 2018, 08:49:06 PM

Cuedoc, you in the UK?
Captain_Planet

Activity: 448
Merit: 102

View Profile
January 18, 2018, 08:54:54 PM

If you want to invest for a long time then never trust on any exchange, never save any amount on any exchange for a long period, Always move your coins in your wallet and backup your wallets as well.
Simyboye (OP)

View Profile
January 18, 2018, 09:05:24 PM

Thanks. Just wanted to clear up that if I buy £1000 btc and store offline and leave for a few years, assuming the price goes up I can sell my btc at the going rate?
I have about 8 to invest in.
MR2O4

Activity: 76
Merit: 12

View Profile
January 18, 2018, 09:22:04 PM

Yes, although it seems to be easier to buy in the UK thank to convert back to GBP.

For instance with Coinbase you can send GPB via your credit card, but you can only get Euros back to a bank account, so you are at the mercy of bank fees and exchange rates. However you could use a service like Local Bitcoins, to buy and/or sell.

In answer to your original question, you are better to store off an exchange.

Crytptohack

Activity: 126
Merit: 15

HodL!

View Profile WWW
January 18, 2018, 09:28:18 PM

If your going to keep a crypto for years, you might want to look into a hardware wallet like a Trezor or Ledger (Blue / Nano S)

And think of it like a stock, you can remove it from the wallet and onto an exchange to trade it for either another crypto or fiat.

Not sure why your initial post was purchasing Ripple though as that it typically not a crypto one usually would start out with. (IMO)
Simyboye (OP)

View Profile
January 18, 2018, 09:44:11 PM

Thank you.
I've heard bad things about coinbase. I use localbitcoins.
I go from BTC to ETH to the crypto's I want to purchase?

I was informed to only trade in BTC and not local currencies due to losses etc. So BTC to Huh coin, not GBP to XRP etc.
Sonicrypto

Activity: 1

View Profile
January 18, 2018, 09:46:32 PM

yea long term i always store mine on a ledger hardware wallet
SportyCornet777

Activity: 36

View Profile
January 18, 2018, 11:06:16 PM

Everything that I am holding goes in my wallet. I keep some crypto in my exchange for trading purposes.
BountyLord

Activity: 314
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 18, 2018, 11:35:30 PM

Only wallet. Exchange could be hacked or scammed
djmano

Activity: 13

View Profile
January 19, 2018, 12:01:32 AM

Thank you.
I've heard bad things about coinbase. I use localbitcoins.
I go from BTC to ETH to the crypto's I want to purchase?

I was informed to only trade in BTC and not local currencies due to losses etc. So BTC to Huh coin, not GBP to XRP etc.

If you want to buy other cryptos, which many people refer to collectively as "altcoins," you will need either BTC or ETH to purchase them with. Most altcoins trade against BTC and ETH. So usually people will buy BTC with cash in their local currency, and then send BTC into an exchange to trade for altcoins.

Some altcoins can be bought directly with fiat (regular money) on some exchanges, but you usually are required to go through a lengthy verification process with the exchange.

In my personal experience Coinbase has been very easy to use, it's one of the easiest way to purchase BTC/ETH/LTC, only thing though is that you will have to wait over a week until you actually have the crypto in your wallet. You can also do an instant buy with a debit/credit card for smaller amounts of crypto that are available to use instantly.
buzzbeez

Activity: 90

View Profile WWW
January 19, 2018, 01:05:19 AM

Everyone is correct in pointing out the need for a crypto wallet like the nano ledger. If your wallet is online it can be hacked. A hardware wallet is offline most of the time and your private keys are stored on it in such a way you won't even know what the keys are (unless you really want to). This is great because the wallet keeps things idiot proof. You don't have to worry about someone getting the private keys out of you because you won't  even know them!
Rodzz

Activity: 51

View Profile
January 19, 2018, 06:06:58 AM

If you plan on long term holds I would take it off the exchange as many others have stated meaning you won't be able to place stop limit orders. Unless there is a way to sell directly from your wallet without being in an exchange that I am not aware of. If you plan on doing short term trades, swings trades then I'd leave that portion of coins or tokens on an exchange for quick trades.

The problem now with many day trades is keeping track for income tax purposes. Last year it was easy, but now it's harder at least in the US Lastly, trades slowly take away money because the exchange fees slowly add up over time. Long term is definitely the safer bet if you indeed plan to hold for a year or more. 
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: