Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 02:49:56 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Why is there even polls about if BFL is a scam or not?  (Read 1547 times)
trichome (OP)

Activity: 48
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 18, 2013, 08:13:04 PM

Honestly aside from the people that are hashing with big rigs that went out the backdoor from them, or one of the many script created alt accounts they have to spew fanboi bullshit, is a poll even considered needed to decide if their a scam?  Any person with a brain and i know ya got them people can do 20 minutes of research here and facepalm over all their lies.  What other company out there can get away with insulting customers potential and current, lie to customers about product, shipping, god you name it they've lied about it, get caught selling units out the backdoor, break the law in i can't list how many different ways.  Real poll should be the time until they fold completely and what employee(s) will get out with whatever $/BTC they have or have stashed in their own mining consortium(eclipse mining pool).   

To be clear i had a 2012 order that i had refunded thank god, i paid with paypal(wasn't easy but got it done). Just know others are fucked and sick of seeing people post something like "I sure hope this isn't true, looking forward to my order i placed in may of 2013".  These type of posts remind that there are some people that make purchases without any research at all.  Honestly how much money are they giving this forum so they can keep pedaling their fucking bullshit.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum was founded in 2009 by Satoshi and Sirius. It replaced a SourceForge forum.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
fcmatt
Legendary

Activity: 2072
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 18, 2013, 08:16:47 PM

The reason this is all taking place is greed. Basically the major motivation of almost everyone here at this point in time.
I, we, and everyone else just has to look in the mirror to see the reason why it can happen. Bitcoin will make us rich.
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4298
Merit: 3214

View Profile
August 18, 2013, 08:32:12 PM

I'm not clear on why people say that BFL is a scam. I guess their definition of "scam" is different from mine, or perhaps I am missing something.

To me, a scam would be taking pre-orders without ever intending to ship anything. BFL is shipping miners, right? So, what is the scam?

I don't think the fact that they are shipping 8 months late is a scam, either. I doubt they intended for the delay to be this long. Without intention, how can there be fraud? No fraud, no scam.

I sympathize with the people that pre-ordered, but this is clearly a case of BFL incompetence, and not a scam.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
k9quaint
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 18, 2013, 08:35:50 PM

I'm not clear on why people say that BFL is a scam. I guess their definition of scam is different from mine.

To me, a scam would be taking pre-orders without ever intending to ship anything. BFL is shipping miners, right? So, what is the scam that they are accused of?

Bernie Madoff paid dividends to his investors for 20 years. Each year, he got enough new investors to pay off the old ones.
You could take 100 orders for umbrellas, deliver 15 umbrellas, keep the money for the other 85 and disappear. That is a scam, even though you shipped something.
The scam BFL is accused of is misleading their investors into loaning BFL money in return for a small possibility of receiving a product in return.

Bitcoin is backed by the full faith and credit of YouTube comments.
Bitcoinorama

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 18, 2013, 08:38:20 PM

I'm not clear on why people say that BFL is a scam. I guess their definition of "scam" is different from mine, or perhaps I am missing something.

To me, a scam would be taking pre-orders without ever intending to ship anything. BFL is shipping miners, right? So, what is the scam?

I don't think the fact that they are shipping 8 months late is a scam, either. I doubt they intended for the delay to be this long. Without intention, how can there be fraud? No fraud, no scam.

I sympathize with the people that pre-ordered, but this is clearly a case of BFL incompetence, and not a scam.

Intent to deceive. The "two weeksTM" was enough alone.

Personally any company that is caught being dishonest, I don't touch with a barge pole.

Make my day! Say thanks if you found me helpful Smiley BTC Address --->
1487ThaKjezGA6SiE8fvGcxbgJJu6XWtZp
trichome (OP)

View Profile
August 18, 2013, 08:40:33 PM
Last edit: August 18, 2013, 08:53:59 PM by trichome

I don't even know how to respond to this... Lies of lies on lies does not build a good foundation. And they are barely shipping a product that is not certified UL or FCC, that was/is funded by pre orders.  

Stealing from someone and operating a Ponzi scheme is illegal and you should and hopefully goto jail for it.  Many of the same things they are doing is ILLEGAL and they should and hopefully goto jail for them.
trichome (OP)

View Profile
August 18, 2013, 08:54:51 PM

I just said the first thing that came to mind, some thing on the news about to many people in jail for heroin use, bad example i edited it.  I smoke weed was a bad reference.
odolvlobo
Legendary

View Profile
August 18, 2013, 08:55:49 PM

You could take 100 orders for umbrellas, deliver 15 umbrellas, keep the money for the other 85 and disappear. That is a scam, even though you shipped something.

They haven't disappeared.

The scam BFL is accused of is misleading their investors into loaning BFL money in return for a small possibility of receiving a product in return.

There was no misleading. What did you think they were going to do with the pre-order money? Do you think all mining hardware companies are scams? They are all taking pre-orders.

Lies of lies on lies does not build a good foundation. And they are barely shipping a product that is not certified UL or FCC, that was/is funded by pre orders. 

Not building a good foundation or not getting it UL or FCC certified does not make it a scam.

Buying and smoking heroin is illegal and you should and hopefully goto jail for it.  Many of the things they are doing is ILLEGAL and they should and hopefully goto jail for them.

Buying and smoking heroin is not a scam.

I think callking BFL a scam might make people feel better, but it is a mistake if you want to try to resolve the situation.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
Bitcoinorama

View Profile
August 18, 2013, 09:01:55 PM

I just said the first thing that came to mind, some thing on the news about to many people in jail for heroin use, bad example i edited it.  I smoke weed was a bad reference.

I gathered. Your name. Lol.

Bitcoinorama

View Profile
August 18, 2013, 09:07:31 PM

They haven't disappeared.

There was no misleading. What did you think they were going to do with the pre-order money? Do you think all mining hardware companies are scams? They are all taking pre-orders.

Lies of lies on lies does not build a good foundation. And they are barely shipping a product that is not certified UL or FCC, that was/is funded by pre orders.  

Not building a good foundation or not getting it UL or FCC certified does not make it a scam.

Buying and smoking heroin is illegal and you should and hopefully goto jail for it.  Many of the things they are doing is ILLEGAL and they should and hopefully goto jail for them.

Buying and smoking heroin is not a scam.

I think callking BFL a scam might make people feel better, but it is a mistake if you want to try to resolve the situation.

Fraud is an act of wanton deception. Herein stating "two weeksTM" knowing full well that date is impossible to commit to, is to wantonly deceive. Stating 'two weeksTM" repetitively, knowingly deceiving each time, over the course of several months is sociopathic. Fact.

From Blacks Law Dictionary:

Fraud: An intentional perversion of the truth for the purpose of inducing another in reliance upon it to part with some valuable thing or to surrender a legal right; a false representation of a matter of fact, whether by words ot conduct, by false or misleading allegations, or by concealment of that which should have been disclosed, which deceives and is intended to deceive another so that he shall act upon it to his legal inquiry; anything calculated to deceive, whether by a single act or combination, or by suppression of truth, or suggestion of what is false, whether it be by direct falsehood or innuendo, by speech or silence, word of mouth, or look or gesture; fraud comprises all acts, omissions, and concealments involving a branch of legal or equitable duty and resulting in damage to another.

From Dictionary.com:

so·ci·o·path  [soh-see-uh-path, soh-shee-]  Show IPA
noun Psychiatry.
a person with a psychopathic personality whose behavior is antisocial, often criminal, and who lacks a sense of moral responsibility or social conscience.

Origin:
1940–45; socio- + -path

Related forms
so·ci·o·path·ic, adjective

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/sociopathic

trichome (OP)

View Profile
August 18, 2013, 09:10:36 PM

Please remove the heroin use comparison from quotes, just used the first thing that came to mind and it obviously was wrong.  I meant a crime(s) that you should goto jail for.
Flying Hellfish
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1754

Verified Bernie Bro - Feel The Bern!

View Profile
August 18, 2013, 09:16:20 PM

BFL is breaking federal regulations by not allowing customers to cancel their orders before they ship their product.  They are also breaking federal regulations by not telling their customers that they have the right to cancel at any time before they ship their units and in fact BFL is telling their customers the exact opposite stating refunds will be refused.

BFL doesn't understand the legal difference between an order and a sale and are using false language to illegally hold customer funds that want it back.  Basically they are trying to get the uninformed to roll over and give up on trying for a refund by stating "All Sales are Final".

BFL is a scam rest assured, delivering a small percentage of units to a small percentage of customers doesn't automatically disqualify all the other relevant facts.
trichome (OP)

View Profile
August 18, 2013, 09:20:54 PM

BFL is breaking federal regulations by not allowing customers to cancel their orders before they ship their product.  They are also breaking federal regulations by not telling their customers that they have the right to cancel at any time before they ship their units and in fact BFL is telling their customers the exact opposite stating refunds will be refused.

BFL doesn't understand the legal difference between an order and a sale and are using false language to illegally hold customer funds that want it back.  Basically they are trying to get the uninformed to roll over and give up on trying for a refund by stating "All Sales are Final".

BFL is a scam rest assured, delivering a small percentage of units to a small percentage of customers doesn't automatically disqualify all the other relevant facts.

Thanks Hellfish summed up everything I wanted to say but better and faster then i ever could.  Some people got their money out from Madoff for example and other schemes also but the majority does not.

And Bitcoinorama When i read that definition all i could think of was Josh Zerlan's Posts.
Bitcoinorama

View Profile
August 18, 2013, 09:29:09 PM

Thanks Hellfish summed up everything I wanted to say but better and faster then i ever could.  Some people got their money out from Madoff for example and other schemes also but the majority does not.

And Bitcoinorama When i read that definition all i could think of was Josh Zerlan's Posts.

Oh it's not just limited to Butterfly Labs, other companies behaviour on this forum; both current, and past, are equally as deplorable, knowingly promising you statements they cannot deliver on. Read between their lines.

Hfleer

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

Changing avatars is currently not possible.

View Profile
August 18, 2013, 09:36:53 PM

I'm not clear on why people say that BFL is a scam. I guess their definition of scam is different from mine.

To me, a scam would be taking pre-orders without ever intending to ship anything. BFL is shipping miners, right? So, what is the scam that they are accused of?

Bernie Madoff paid dividends to his investors for 20 years. Each year, he got enough new investors to pay off the old ones.

Sad that this has to be explained even.  Yea, if they scam 9 customers and deliver for the tenth, it's still a scam. Who would've thought.  If they promise a delivery date and especially with an item whose value is dependent on how soon it arrives same thing.

█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
▓▓▓▓▓  BIT-X.comvvvvvvvvvvvvvvi
→ CREATE ACCOUNT 
▓▓▓▓▓
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
odolvlobo
Legendary

View Profile
August 18, 2013, 09:44:21 PM
Last edit: August 18, 2013, 10:21:48 PM by odolvlobo

I agree, but breaking federal regulations doesn't make it a scam. Think about the people breaking federal and/or state regulations by trading bitcoins. Are they also scams?

I agree, but that is not a scam.

It also doesn't automatically make it a scam.

I think the only realistic example presented so far is the "two weeksTM" thing, possibly trying to encourage more people to place orders knowing that they couldn't meet deadlines.

Anyway, this is turning into another BFL hate thread, and I certainly don't want to defend BFL. I'm kind of surprised that various regulators and law enforcement agencies haven't come down on them for breaking consumer laws I wonder if it is because people are screaming "scam!" and "ponzi scheme!".

So, for anyone else that has an example of why they consider BFL to be a scam, my response is "That may be true, but that doesn't make it a scam."

SirWizz

Activity: 173
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 18, 2013, 09:48:00 PM

^ You know, every single Ponzi scheme (when they run out of money), makes the same point - we are continuing to make payments/ship/etc., therefore we are not a scam/Ponzi/pyramid scheme. So forgive me if I don't care for your comments defending a business that looks very much like a scam right now.
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
August 18, 2013, 10:10:26 PM

I just bumped my "Do you trust BFL" POLL. Thanks, OP!
odolvlobo
Legendary

View Profile
August 18, 2013, 10:16:39 PM

You know, every single Ponzi scheme (when they run out of money), makes the same point - we are continuing to make payments/ship/etc., ...

You have a very broad definition of "Ponzi scheme". There is no investment here. The customers are not expecting earnings and getting back portions of their deposits instead. Sorry, it's not a Ponzi scheme, either.

fcmatt
Legendary

Activity: 2072
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 18, 2013, 10:20:31 PM

You know, every single Ponzi scheme (when they run out of money), makes the same point - we are continuing to make payments/ship/etc., ...

You have a very broad definition of "Ponzi scheme". There is no investment here. The customers are not expecting earnings and getting back portions of their deposits instead. Sorry, it's not a Ponzi scheme, either.

Then what is it called? Fraud?
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: