Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 02:13:37 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin -> Namecoin -> ASNCoin... some thoughts...  (Read 1181 times)
LehmanSister (OP)

Activity: 68
Merit: 10

High Desert Dweller-Where Space and Time Meet $

View Profile
July 10, 2011, 11:43:35 PM
Last edit: July 11, 2011, 04:20:28 AM by lehmansister

I took a break from BTC for a bit and started playing around with Namecoin. Kinda neat, kinda a fun direction. Kinda needs some work, but I see where this is going. .bit definitely has the potential to put relieve the need for ICANN.

I'm wondering if at some point we're going to move into BGP done by blockchain. This would and could be a serious and powerful protection against any form of 'kill switching.' This gives each ASN independence from their employer, and ARIN/RIPE/etc, as well as separating identities.

Just putting out some thoughts. I'd like to see an equillibria in the amount of cipherspace I can control with my computational power, but don't wand to have to double the investment in collision power to prove it.

I guess ASN's would start to take back their original meaning, and we'd be insured against well, content delivery networks clogging our border entry, without fair exchange.

Any other thoughts? OpenBGP and BTC seem like a good area to start blending.

ISO: small island nations with large native populations excited to pay tribute to flying gods, will trade BTC.
Make sure you back up your wallet regularly! Unlike a bank account, nobody can help you if you lose access to your BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
phungus

Activity: 128
Merit: 100

I'm doin' fine on cloud 9

View Profile
July 11, 2011, 02:21:51 AM

My head hurts.

I can do stuff
LehmanSister (OP)

Activity: 68
Merit: 10

High Desert Dweller-Where Space and Time Meet $

View Profile
July 11, 2011, 04:24:27 AM

My head hurts.

Is that a good thing?

ISO: small island nations with large native populations excited to pay tribute to flying gods, will trade BTC.
zamgo

Activity: 32
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 11, 2011, 05:24:52 AM

I guess ASN's would start to take back their original meaning, and we'd be insured against well, content delivery networks clogging our border entry, without fair exchange.

Any other thoughts? OpenBGP and BTC seem like a good area to start blending.

Or maybe NMC...     just start using some new namespaces:    bgp/  and  asn/  
kjj
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1024

View Profile
July 11, 2011, 05:38:13 AM

Internet routing gets strange if you decouple BGP relationships from physical links on a large scale.  I just don't see NANOG going for it.

17Np17BSrpnHCZ2pgtiMNnhjnsWJ2TMqq8
I routinely ignore posters with paid advertising in their sigs.  You should too.
gmaxwell
Legendary
expert

Activity: 4158
Merit: 8382

View Profile WWW
July 11, 2011, 05:49:00 AM

Internet routing gets strange if you decouple BGP relationships from physical links on a large scale.  I just don't see NANOG going for it.

You don't "decouple BGP relationships from physical links on a large scale" you'd use namecoin/something like namecoin to establish ownership of address space / ASNs. E.g. RPKI (https://www.arin.net/resources/rpki.html) but with a decentarlized blockchain in the place of ARIN.

I suppose it would work fine— but why. The centralized systems work okay for these things, and it's not like decentralizing ownership of the identifiers is enough to accomplish much (no one attacks ISPs by attacking their ownership of address space or ASNs).

Namecoin is interesting largely because the current domain name system is dysfunctional, often even failing to provide the fair protection of reasonable lawful process to its users.

talpan

Activity: 228
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 11, 2011, 06:40:42 AM

Namecoin is interesting largely because the current domain name system is dysfunctional, often even failing to provide the fair protection of reasonable lawful process to its users.

read more post here, I totally aggree.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: