Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 02:18:14 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Getting new PC. Is this all I need to do to move my Wallet?  (Read 869 times)
Kuroth (OP)

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
August 18, 2013, 10:49:34 PM

I want to make sure I dont screw this up as I have never done this before..

Getting a new PC next week.. Its my understanding all I need to do is:

1.  Locate Wallet on current PC using this Cmd in Dos Window:  explorer %APPDATA%\Bitcoin
2.  copy just my wallet.dat off current PC to a USB Drive
3.  Install the Bitcoin QT on new PC(Can it be a newer version of the QT or does it have to be the same version???)
4.  Copy wallet.dat off USB drive into the Bitcoin QT Dir on new PC..  (using this explorer %APPDATA%\Bitcoin to locate that location)

Is that all?   And this will preserve all my "Receive Coins" address?  (I need all my old Payment and Receive Coins address to still work)

"There should not be any signed int. If you've found a signed int somewhere, please tell me (within the next 25 years please) and I'll change it to unsigned int." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Kuroth (OP)

View Profile WWW
August 18, 2013, 10:55:46 PM

And Yes I have already read this  https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Securing_your_wallet#Locating_BitCoin_s_data_directory

But its not real straight forward and a bit confusing... And it talks about old QT's and Current QT's and New QT's 

Snail2
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 18, 2013, 11:09:28 PM

Maybe you also want to copy your blockchain files and then you don't have to wait a day until you can use your wallet again Smiley.
eleuthria
Legendary

Activity: 1750
Merit: 1007

View Profile
August 18, 2013, 11:23:21 PM

This should work.  One thing to be careful of:  Make sure bitcoind is not running when you copy the wallet.dat file.

Additionally, there is a backup wallet function in bitcoin-qt.

RIP BTC Guild, April 2011 - June 2015
Kuroth (OP)

View Profile WWW
August 18, 2013, 11:45:06 PM

Thanks guys..  Appreciate the Info..

ragmondo

Activity: 106
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
August 18, 2013, 11:52:44 PM

Can't believe not mentioned so far: When you are certain you have at least 2 copies of your wallet.dat file, then make the old hard drive unusable (or just take it out and keep it in a safe place). If someone else gets a copy of your wallet.dat, then they'll be able to move your coins for you....
Kuroth (OP)

View Profile WWW
August 19, 2013, 12:49:28 AM

Can't believe not mentioned so far: When you are certain you have at least 2 copies of your wallet.dat file, then make the old hard drive unusable (or just take it out and keep it in a safe place). If someone else gets a copy of your wallet.dat, then they'll be able to move your coins for you....

VERY good point and I was actually planning on destroying my Hard Drive once I copy off all I want from it..

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: