Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 11:41:52 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Has your gpu, psu or motherboard fried from a bad riser?  (Read 196 times)
VicTwenty (OP)

Activity: 15
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 17, 2018, 07:03:39 PM

I've been looking at buying some risers but every brand seems to have no or very low quality control.

explomos
https://www.amazon.com/EXPLOMOS-Graphics-Extension-Ethereum-Capacitors/product-reviews/B074Z754LT/ref=cm_cr_dp_d_hist_1?ie=UTF8&filterByStar=one_star&reviewerType=all_reviews#reviews-filter-bar

mintcell
https://www.amazon.com/MintCell-6-Pack-Powered-Adapter-Extension/product-reviews/B01GU94QSQ/ref=cm_cr_dp_d_hist_1?ie=UTF8&filterByStar=one_star&reviewerType=all_reviews#reviews-filter-bar

https://www.amazon.com/MintCell-6-Pack-Powered-Adapter-Extension/product-reviews/B06ZY2R85P/ref=cm_cr_dp_d_hist_1?ie=UTF8&filterByStar=one_star&reviewerType=all_reviews#reviews-filter-bar

ubit
https://www.amazon.com/Bitcoin-Litecoin-Ubit-Dedicated-Graphics-Extension/product-reviews/B072XKB1CW/ref=cm_cr_dp_d_hist_1?ie=UTF8&filterByStar=one_star&reviewerType=all_reviews#reviews-filter-bar

Can you still RMA the gpu, psu or motherboard even if it was a defective riser that caused the problem?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES I HA(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ TABLES I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
halker2010

Activity: 532
Merit: 250

The harder your life is the more meaning it has.

View Profile
January 18, 2018, 03:49:27 AM

Not really i had few bad risers but all they did either made the pc crash or didn't recognize the gpu at all but don't try to go too cheap normal v006 or v007 risers should suffice i hardly recommend buying in bulk cause you never know when price might go to high heaven or you need a replacement.
personally i suggest ubit and xrp but you might need to find a reliable seller.
Plant Power

Activity: 41

View Profile
January 18, 2018, 04:13:15 AM

Same I haven't had any permanent damage caused by a riser.. I've had risers that just didn't work.. and one that would bug out every now and then.  Also as above I've always gone mid-range and not bought the cheapest I could find.. and always have some spare just in case.
Undefined31415

Activity: 336
Merit: 253

Gone phishing...

View Profile WWW
January 18, 2018, 04:38:59 AM

I haven't had a graphics card or motherboard fail on met yet. However, I have had a handful of units that were DOA (nothing to do with risers, obviously).

I did have a Thermaltake PSU (lower-tier 600W,done by either HEC or CWT, I don't remember) fail, but I can't causally attribute that to a malfunctioning riser. I've used many unpowered ribbon-style risers, 4-pin molex powered ribbon-style risers, and 6-pin powered USB riser cards before.

Your customer support experience, regardless of failure reason, would probably be hit-and-miss. (With some exceptions, like if there's physical damage. In that case, you're probably not getting free warranty service.) I haven't heard of a bad riser causing permanent damage to other components before (save for user-error when powering them), but risers would definitely be in a position to damage at least the graphics card and the motherboard.

If you have the necessary parts, you could build a test system with an old motherboard (with a PCIe x16 slot) and a cheap graphics card, then go through and test to see if you can get video on the card connected through the riser. I don't personally do this when I get new risers, but perhaps I should.

▀██▄ ▄██▀
            ▐█████▌
           ▄███▀███▄
         ▄████▄  ▀███▄
       ▄███▀ ▀██▄  ▀███▄
     ▄███▀  ▄█████▄  ▀███▄
   ▄███▀  ▄███▀ ▀███▄  ▀███▄
  ███▀  ▄████▌   ▐████▄  ▀███
 ███   ██▀  ██▄ ▄██  ▀██   ███
███   ███  ███   ███  ███   ███
███   ███   ███████   ███   ███
 ███   ███▄▄       ▄▄███   ███
  ███▄   ▀▀█████████▀▀   ▄███
   ▀████▄▄           ▄▄████▀
      ▀▀███████████████▀▀
DeepOnion
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
   Anonymity Guaranteed
   Anonymous and Untraceable
   Guard Your Privacy
      ▄▄██████████▄▄
    ▄███▀▀      ▀▀█▀   ▄▄
   ███▀              ▄███
  ███              ▄███▀   ▄▄
 ███▌  ▄▄▄▄      ▄███▀   ▄███
▐███  ██████   ▄███▀   ▄███▀
███▌ ███  ███▄███▀   ▄███▀
███▌ ███   ████▀   ▄███▀
███▌  ███   █▀   ▄███▀  ███
▐███   ███     ▄███▀   ███
 ███▌   ███  ▄███▀     ███
  ███    ██████▀      ███
   ███▄             ▄███
    ▀███▄▄       ▄▄███▀
      ▀▀███████████▀▀
Benjaminplease

Activity: 14

View Profile
January 18, 2018, 04:55:58 AM

From all the vids I've seen when they fail they just don't work, nothing goes on. Never looked like they overheated fail, just didn't start. (Good question)
slanislaw

Activity: 107
Merit: 11

View Profile
January 18, 2018, 05:21:37 AM

I've had GPU's, risers and a motherboard fail.

Every GPU, Riser and PCIE slot it was connected to died. What caused it? No clue. It wasn't even mining at the time.. The entire system fried. The only things that survived were the SSD and PSU.

Scary. And it was only a 4 card 750w system.. it was a big $$$ loss.
ephraim_90

Activity: 144
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 18, 2018, 06:15:18 AM

Every GPU, Riser and PCIE slot it was connected to died. What caused it? No clue. It wasn't even mining at the time.. The entire system fried. The only things that survived were the SSD and PSU.

holy cow! that is a bad news, you didnt investigate what was the cause of that thing? If you come up with the solution please share it with us so that we would be aware also. thank you man.
MarkAz

Activity: 687
Merit: 511

View Profile
January 18, 2018, 06:30:48 AM

Like slansilaw, if you mine long enough, you're going to have everything fail at some point... Assuming it isn't manufacturer defect (where it doesn't work out of the box), this is the order of things that I've had fail:

#1; GPU fan (5%)
#2; Case fan (~2%)
#3; GPU (1%)
#4; PSU (0.5%)
#5; Motherboard (0.10%)

I put the percentages there to illustrate that once it's running, really I've found most everything to be reliable.  I used to have a bunch of problems with Chinese PSU's back in the Antminer days, but now even the Chinese ones seem to be fine... Fans (or moving parts) always are the pain point - and some of the PSU failures could very well be that the fan dies and that kills the PSU - it's normally not worth the time to figure it out, just throw it in the trash and install a new one.  The only other thing that's a bit misleading is the GPU failure rate and fans - the typical GPU has at least 2-3 fans, so there's just more of those to fail - same with case fans, where there's 4x of those per case, compared to a single PSU.  Really it would be better to calculate the MTBF, but who has the time.  Wink

In terms of out of the box failures related to risers, for me it was always the USB cable.  I would say normally I would have maybe 5% of the risers I bought would be bad, and maybe the 5-10% of the USB cables I got with them would be either bad or would cause me problems.  Enough so that I just buy and use quality USB cables from the beginning and never use the included ones.

ica7000

Activity: 161
Merit: 12

View Profile
January 18, 2018, 06:38:13 AM

I tend to use a smaller ATX PSU and a HP or Dell PSU for the GPU's.  I tried to power some risers with the HP PSU and when I tried to turn the computer off - the riser was still powering the MOBO (biostar BTC+).  The fan was still powered.   I unplugged the HP PSU and that must have killed the motherboard.  Dead as a duckett after that.

I make sure that the ATX PSU can power the risers before I even put in the motherboard now. 
Plant Power

Activity: 41

View Profile
January 18, 2018, 06:43:56 AM

Power surge protection on the system?  Could it have been the supply?
crocozino

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 18, 2018, 06:55:52 AM

even if I put one riser wrong to PCI-e slot of mainboard and fried this riser, my mainboard and gpu card were working long after that,
for about 6 month, but worth to mention I did turned off power as soon as I understood something is wrong
so maybe if it will work longer the consequences might be severe
Jimm3h

Activity: 11

View Profile
January 18, 2018, 07:33:14 AM

I find it strange that no highend pc hardware manufacturers are selling quality risers, i bet there would be big market for those for twice the price or more. As it stands the riser is weakest part in our setup by mile. Like, i am running pc worth thousands of $, yet wire it all up with some cheap chinese boards, thats asking for trouble.

OT, all mine have worked so far, using version 008.
Tristan1337

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 18, 2018, 07:50:47 AM

I find it strange that no highend pc hardware manufacturers are selling quality risers, i bet there would be big market for those for twice the price or more. As it stands the riser is weakest part in our setup by mile. Like, i am running pc worth thousands of $, yet wire it all up with some cheap chinese boards, thats asking for trouble.

I agree this is a major problem with cheap chinese risers.

Also, In the past there have been some quality ones available like these.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813998015
VicTwenty (OP)

Activity: 15

View Profile
January 18, 2018, 09:02:42 AM

Quote from: Undefined31415
If you have the necessary parts, you could build a test system with an old motherboard (with a PCIe x16 slot) and a cheap graphics card, then go through and test to see if you can get video on the card connected through the riser. I don't personally do this when I get new risers, but perhaps I should.

Great idea. Thanks!
One of those $100 refurbished systems would be good. Not a big loss if something goes wrong.

That's what I was thinking.
It's not as if running multiple gpu's is not officially supported. Biostar makes a mining board designed for 10+ gpu's.

The only risers by highend pc manufacturers i've seen are unpowered ribbon cables. Thermaltake and Biostar makes them. Both have mixed reviews.
I've read that these aren't safe to use for a high watt card (1080ti).

Losing a gpu, motherboard, psu isn't even the worst case scenario.
If it starts a fire and you're not home, there goes everything..
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: