Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 05:39:50 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: USB block erupters are now useless. $5 - $7 each.  (Read 25999 times)
Twingo

Activity: 19
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 24, 2013, 02:27:03 PM

What's the best alt coin to point these guys at when btc difficulty is too high?
use coinchoose.com, there you can check all the alt coins
Someone mentioned it must be SHA256 right?
be is sha256 only, coinchoose has sha256 and scrypt comparison, so far btc is the best coin for sha256
The forum was founded in 2009 by Satoshi and Sirius. It replaced a SourceForge forum.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
millsdmb

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 24, 2013, 02:30:53 PM

What's the best alt coin to point these guys at when btc difficulty is too high?
use coinchoose.com, there you can check all the alt coins
Someone mentioned it must be SHA256 right?
be is sha256 only, coinchoose has sha256 and scrypt comparison, so far btc is the best coin for sha256
BTC Guild has merged mining if you are on PPLNS, i set my NMC payout address to my btc-e account and trade them for BTC

Hitler Finds out about the Butterfly Labs Monarch http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jYNMKdv36w
Get $10 worth of BTC Free when you buy $100 worth at coinbase.com/?r=51dffa8970f85a53bd000034
Fiyasko
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1001

Okey Dokey Lokey

View Profile
August 24, 2013, 02:31:05 PM

I would pay $20ish for a block erupter, Anymore than 25 and you've lost me as a buyer.

http://bitcoin-otc.com/viewratingdetail.php?nick=DingoRabiit&sign=ANY&type=RECV <-My Ratings
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=857670.0 GAWminers and associated things are not to be trusted, Especially the "mineral" exchange
Twingo

Activity: 19

View Profile
August 24, 2013, 03:11:43 PM

I would pay $20ish for a block erupter, Anymore than 25 and you've lost me as a buyer.
with today's 30% difficulty jump, I don't see anyone would make back ROI on erupters, $10 would be okay, $20 is too much for 300MH/s of erupters
Fiyasko
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1001

Okey Dokey Lokey

View Profile
August 24, 2013, 03:39:37 PM

with today's 30% difficulty jump, I don't see anyone would make back ROI on erupters, $10 would be okay, $20 is too much for 300MH/s of erupters
Ah, But would the company even sell them that cheap is the question

http://bitcoin-otc.com/viewratingdetail.php?nick=DingoRabiit&sign=ANY&type=RECV <-My Ratings
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=857670.0 GAWminers and associated things are not to be trusted, Especially the "mineral" exchange
mistermint

Activity: 71
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 24, 2013, 04:30:23 PM

Here, let me modify your post to take into account that opinions are like arseholes and that your opinion is thankfully not the centre of the universe of human understanding:

I believe USB block erupters are now useless. In my opinion and many others, the price is too high.

Difficulty is now over 50,810,339
A correct price for my strategy (since I am not the fount of all observations in the universe) for USB block erupters should be around $5 to $7 USD each.

From someone who has retired 60+gpus over the last few months, they are a godsend. Everything is relative.

Of course if you are just buying them to try to get your 90 day ROI, that boat sailed a looooooong time ago.

The CORRECT forum for that FUD would be over at 9gag.

Speculation != Fact.

Not that that seems to matter of course. :-)
oddree

Activity: 40

View Profile
August 24, 2013, 08:22:03 PM

Coinchoose is a neat gimmick, but there are a lot of profitable coins that don't show up there.  Not sure if this is the admins preference, bullsh*t politics, lack of updates, etc.

That said, you can mine Zetacoins (SHA256) with USB erupters and turn out 3 to 5 more times profit in trade.  ;-)

Inb4: "scam coinz", "oddree sells erupterz", "coinchoose is tehbestest"
Nemo1024
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1014

View Profile WWW
August 24, 2013, 10:33:09 PM
Last edit: August 26, 2013, 04:07:03 PM by Nemo1024

You can ask for coins to be added to Coinchoose. The guy (sal002) has his hands pretty full, so you should give him links to block explorere, icon, exchange, etc. for your favourite coin.

“Dark times lie ahead of us and there will be a time when we must choose between what is easy and what is right.”
“We are only as strong as we are united, as weak as we are divided.”
“It is important to fight and fight again, and keep fighting, for only then can evil be kept at bay, though never quite eradicated.”
Gleason

Activity: 207
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
August 24, 2013, 11:11:53 PM

If there is a good coin to mine that's profitable keep It a damn secret and keep it off coinchoose. Once its on there so many people will mine it that the profitabil ity will go to crap.

Find one of a kind BTC, LTC and more Cryptomemorabilia at
http://www.cryptomemorabilia.com/
Nemo1024
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1014

View Profile WWW
August 26, 2013, 10:39:07 AM
Last edit: August 26, 2013, 04:05:34 PM by Nemo1024

Too late.  Tongue
Besides, this is a dilemma. If you want a coins to succeed, you need to give it exposure, so that it gets widest possible adoption, but then it's profitability will start to converge on that of BTC. If you don't give it exposure, then you are just dooming a coin from the start: pump and dump.

“Dark times lie ahead of us and there will be a time when we must choose between what is easy and what is right.”
“We are only as strong as we are united, as weak as we are divided.”
“It is important to fight and fight again, and keep fighting, for only then can evil be kept at bay, though never quite eradicated.”
sal002

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
August 26, 2013, 02:05:31 PM

Coinchoose is a neat gimmick, but there are a lot of profitable coins that don't show up there.  Not sure if this is the admins preference, bullsh*t politics, lack of updates, etc.

It is more like there are 10 coins created every minute and hard to keep up (let along find a nice block explorer plus exchange for the coin).  Plus many coins don't get on an API with an exchange so I can't list them (CoinEx and PhenixEx don't have API's yet to get order data). I try to have every coin on Cryptsy, BTC-e and BTER.com with the exception of the CPU only coins (because they don't lend themselves to a good comparison between GPU mining coins).  

What coins specifically am I missing?
oddree

Activity: 40

View Profile
August 27, 2013, 05:43:17 PM

It is more like there are 10 coins created every minute and hard to keep up (let along find a nice block explorer plus exchange for the coin).  Plus many coins don't get on an API with an exchange so I can't list them (CoinEx and PhenixEx don't have API's yet to get order data). I try to have every coin on Cryptsy, BTC-e and BTER.com with the exception of the CPU only coins (because they don't lend themselves to a good comparison between GPU mining coins).  

What coins specifically am I missing?

I was speaking to Zetacoin when I made those comments, and you have since added it to your list.  :-)  So allow me to 'eat my words' on that comment.

But I understand new coins popping up *constantly* - and I hadn't thought of needing an API to put it into a sensible list. 

Off topic: My other favorite that would be nice to see on Coinchoose is Primecoin.  But that is probably a can of worms.
sal002

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
August 27, 2013, 06:04:45 PM

Off topic: My other favorite that would be nice to see on Coinchoose is Primecoin.  But that is probably a can of worms.

Yep - I had it up for like 5 minutes and compared it to Quark - but got deluged with emails about how you can't compare the two.  Too much hassle unless someone clears the air on how to compare all the non-GPU coins Smiley
ranmn7

Activity: 41

View Profile
August 29, 2013, 03:37:48 PM

I just recently bought a block erupter for $48, and have it mining Zetacoins, which is barely profitable at the current exchange rate.

But, it is profitable, and will pay for itself in 45 days at current rate. Obviously there are variables that affect that, and I have to pay attention to it.

Very soon it looks like I will need to switch to mining bitcoins directly, and at the current difficulty it would take 90+ days to break even. Even this is not bad for break even time. Of course the difficulty will hit 65 mill to 75 mill around that time, maybe even higher at the rate Avalon and BFL are now shipping their asic miners.

I'm just glad I didn't spend the $3000 to $4500 to buy one of those only to see that I've missed the window of opportunity. I actually saw an auction for one of the BFL Jally's go for $2500 a few weeks ago.

My goal is to mine enough to buy a few bitcoins, maybe buy better mining hardware etc.. and just keep going with it. But, as long as it generates a profit its worth doing.

I missed out on the days of a 9 day ROI on these, and those days will never occur again.

If they do in fact drop in price, which is likely because I've seen them go from $120 each on Ebay to $48 in just a couple of months. Once they get to $30 or less I'll buy a few more because those will just hash away and eventually generate some coins.

I believe that bitcoins will rise in value, and reach $250 to $300 again. At that price then I will be able to recoup my costs, and then some. But, its a calculated risk, and with any risk, there is a chance that the price of bitcoins won't reach that value. We'll see.
ScaryHash

Activity: 529
Merit: 501

View Profile
August 31, 2013, 02:26:39 AM

I respectfully disagree that block erupter USBs are useless.

Looking at everything through the lens of ROI, is in my view a very limited, myopic view of the Bitcoin universe.

It's a fun hobby where you actually get to make at least part of your money back, while supporting the network so that evildoers do not take it over.

I am ScaryHash !!!

Defender of Bitcoin !
Bitweasil

Activity: 420

View Profile
August 31, 2013, 03:56:53 PM

Yes, because 330MH is such a great defense against people with many 2TH rigs...  Roll Eyes

Need high quality, rack mountable GPU clusters for OpenCL work or password auditing?  http://www.stricture-group.com/
ranmn7

View Profile
August 31, 2013, 04:14:18 PM

With the increase in value for BTC, and the expected rise going forward USB Block Erupters will continue to be useful. Even when the difficulty reaches 75 mill.

I believe that the difficulty is going to start leveling off as I read in a previous post, possibly at the 85 to 90 mill level.

And if the value of BTC continues to rise, these Block erupters will continue to generate a small amount. For someone like me getting in just recently, and not having thousands to invest in mining gear this is an entry level for mining.

The USB Block Erupters are selling on Ebay for $33 to $35, which is much better than the $120 they were selling for just a month ago. And if they come down even more then I will be buying more of them since they will pay for themselves within 90 days even with the difficulty level increasing.

Once they pay for themselves, why not just keep on mining with them. They take so little power its not even funny. And if BTC reaches even close to the levels discussed on other threads they will be quite profitable.

The goal here is to do what I can, regardless of what others are doing. I don't let the actions of others discourage me from what I can do.

Bitweasil

View Profile
August 31, 2013, 04:19:30 PM

I believe that the difficulty is going to start leveling off as I read in a previous post, possibly at the 85 to 90 mill level.

BitFury is shipping.  You're delusional.

Need high quality, rack mountable GPU clusters for OpenCL work or password auditing?  http://www.stricture-group.com/
ranmn7

View Profile
August 31, 2013, 05:51:26 PM

BitFury is shipping.  You're delusional.

So quoting from a previous post.

Math can't get the the way of common sense.  Currently, the network it at ~500 terahashes/s, with a difficulty of ~50 million.  For rough estimates, we can say that the network is 10x the difficulty.  So, if we have to hit 750 million difficulty, that is a 15x increase in difficulty, which would require a 15x increase in hashing power, raising the network to 7.5 PETAhashes/s.  There's no way any ASIC companies can deliver that much hardware that quickly. 

Obviously this was before the most recent difficulty increase.

So yes the difficulty will continue to increase, but it will begin to level off. I'm not sure where that will begin, and maybe I'm being hopefull that it will start at 85 to 90 mill. But it will level off as hardware manufacturers finally catch up with their preorders and the massive flow of new hardware slows down.
Bitweasil

View Profile
August 31, 2013, 05:56:52 PM

I agree it will begin leveling off at some point.  Thinking that this point is the 80-90M difficulty is where I thought you were bonkers.

There are a LOT of ASICs preordered that more or less will show up and begin hashing.  The 200TH (formerly 100TH) project is coming online fully, a number of other mines are coming on, and I fully expect the difficulty will shoot past 1B, which is where the early Avalon miners stop being profitable.  People will continue ordering hardware well past the point it's worth running, IMO.

Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: