Bitcoin Forum
May 01, 2024, 09:34:51 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Why are my signature links removed?  (Read 887 times)
HeroC (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 858
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 19, 2013, 03:34:29 AM

All of the links in my signature are bit.ly links, so I can see how many people visit them. But now, they ate all replaced with the forum warning, and do not work. I would rather not un-bitly them, because I want to see how many people click them. Can I please be whitelisted or something? And when I go to change them in my profile the warning is not in the box so I cannot remove the warnings manually. I know it is for safety, but you can un-whitelist me. If not,  it is understandable.

Thanks!

HeroC.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BadBear
v2.0
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1127

View Profile WWW
August 19, 2013, 06:52:20 AM

Most link shorteners are filtered due to phishers/malware.

1Kz25jm6pjNTaz8bFezEYUeBYfEtpjuKRG | PGP: B5797C4F

Tired of annoying signature ads? Ad block for signatures
favdesu
Legendary

Activity: 1764

View Profile WWW
August 19, 2013, 06:56:29 AM

hm, I don't see the reason behind this. there's no difference if I send you a scammy bit.ly or a cleartext url.

it's probably safer to use certain shorteners, like goo.gl or smarturl.it (not sure about bit.ly) - they use malware/phishing filters.

HeroC (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 19, 2013, 12:59:21 PM

hm, I don't see the reason behind this. there's no difference if I send you a scammy (FORUM WARNING: BE CAREFUL WHEN CLICKING UNKNOWN LINKS!) bit.ly or a cleartext url.

it's probably safer to use certain shorteners, like (FORUM WARNING: BE CAREFUL WHEN CLICKING UNKNOWN LINKS!) goo.gl  or smarturl.it (not sure about (FORUM WARNING: BE CAREFUL WHEN CLICKING UNKNOWN LINKS!) bit.ly) - they use malware/phishing filters.

It seems smart URL is the only one not filtered there. All the other links got the warning. I may look into it Smiley
whiskers75

Activity: 658
Merit: 502

Doesn't use these forums that often.

View Profile
August 20, 2013, 07:38:16 AM

hm, I don't see the reason behind this. there's no difference if I send you a scammy (FORUM WARNING: BE CAREFUL WHEN CLICKING UNKNOWN LINKS!) (FORUM WARNING: BE CAREFUL WHEN CLICKING UNKNOWN LINKS!) bit.ly or a cleartext url.

it's probably safer to use certain shorteners, like (FORUM WARNING: BE CAREFUL WHEN CLICKING UNKNOWN LINKS!) (FORUM WARNING: BE CAREFUL WHEN CLICKING UNKNOWN LINKS!) goo.gl   or smarturl.it (not sure about (FORUM WARNING: BE CAREFUL WHEN CLICKING UNKNOWN LINKS!) (FORUM WARNING: BE CAREFUL WHEN CLICKING UNKNOWN LINKS!) bit.ly) - they use malware/phishing filters.

It seems smart URL is the only one not filtered there. All the other links got the warning. I may look into it Smiley

All the links in your sig are gone.
Also, the forum should make the warning a little more subtle. Tongue

Elastic.pw Elastic - The Decentralized Supercomputer
ELASTIC ANNOUNCEMENT THREAD | ELASTIC SLACK | ELASTIC FORUM
favdesu
Legendary

Activity: 1764

View Profile WWW
August 20, 2013, 07:41:05 AM

smarturl checks for malware, spam and phishing before even accepting an url. what I wanted to point out is that shortened urls are safer than any random clear url.

🏰 TradeFortress 🏰
Bitcoin Veteran
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1043

👻

View Profile
August 20, 2013, 08:43:43 AM

It should be possible to check the 301 redirects (on the server) and then base a blacklist off that.
ZirconiumX

Activity: 286
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 20, 2013, 03:26:53 PM

hm, I don't see the reason behind this. there's no difference if I send you a scammy (FORUM WARNING: BE CAREFUL WHEN CLICKING UNKNOWN LINKS!) (FORUM WARNING: BE CAREFUL WHEN CLICKING UNKNOWN LINKS!) (FORUM WARNING: BE CAREFUL WHEN CLICKING UNKNOWN LINKS!) bit.ly or a cleartext url.

it's probably safer to use certain shorteners, like (FORUM WARNING: BE CAREFUL WHEN CLICKING UNKNOWN LINKS!) (FORUM WARNING: BE CAREFUL WHEN CLICKING UNKNOWN LINKS!) (FORUM WARNING: BE CAREFUL WHEN CLICKING UNKNOWN LINKS!) goo.gl    or smarturl.it (not sure about (FORUM WARNING: BE CAREFUL WHEN CLICKING UNKNOWN LINKS!) (FORUM WARNING: BE CAREFUL WHEN CLICKING UNKNOWN LINKS!) (FORUM WARNING: BE CAREFUL WHEN CLICKING UNKNOWN LINKS!) bit.ly) - they use malware/phishing filters.

All the links in your sig are gone.
Also, the forum should make the warning a little more subtle. Tongue

I like how every time someone quotes someone, the forum adds another set of forum warnings, just in case you didn't get the message. I count 9 forum warnings in the above quote. Seems a little excessive.

Matthew:out
John (John K.)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1225

Away on an extended break

View Profile
August 20, 2013, 04:59:21 PM

I removed that warning for now (I implemented them during the mass-hacking and spamming of trojan sites, which was crude but effective), but might still add something similar temporarily if the spam starts again.
HeroC (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 20, 2013, 05:31:07 PM

I removed that warning for now (I implemented them during the mass-hacking and spamming of trojan sites, which was crude but effective), but might still add something similar temporarily if the spam starts again.
Thank you, John!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: