Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 04:24:11 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Could US slow down Bitcoin progress with NET NEUTRALITY laws?  (Read 147 times)
legendster (OP)

Activity: 1778
Merit: 764

www.V.systems

View Profile
January 17, 2018, 10:44:33 PM
Last edit: January 17, 2018, 11:01:11 PM by legendster

The speculation is pretty straightforward in my book. The federal government tries to pull strings and manages to identify Blockchain based business and slow down their networks, or worse, slam them shut altogether.
Despite US seeing Bitcoin as a legally taxable asset (classified as a property) they have from time to time tried to denounce us - the bitcoin community and also denounced blockchain as a useful tech solution.

Am I reading too much between the lines? Is this just a wild paranoid speculation? Is this Bitlicence V 2.0 ?

What would the more advanced users from the community say about this? Can the US government use Net Neutrality to halt the progress of Bitcoin in US? Can they identify blockchain based traffic and essentially slow them down?

OR

Could this be used for the betterment of the Bitcoin network? The whole premise is getting to "pay" ISP to upgrade our virtual sidewalks into stateside highways. Money has never been the problem in Crypto-world, so could we do that? Pay to speed up Blockchain based traffic?
If we did that, what significant difference would it make on the network?

██████████        ████████████
     ██████████        ██████████
       ██████████        ████████
         ██████████        ██████
           ██████████        ████
             ██████████        ██
               ██████████
                 ██████████
                   ████████
                     ██████
                       ████
                        ██
|
     ▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█                 ▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█
 ▄▀                ▄▀█             ▄▀                ▄▀█
 ██████████    █             ██████████    █
 █                █                   █                █    █
 █                █     ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█                █    █
 █                █  ▄▀             █                █  ▄▀
 ██████████▀                 ██████████▀
          █                                    █
     ▄▀ █  ▀▀▀▀█                   ▄▀ █ ▀▀▀▀▀▀█
 ▄▀             ▄▀█               ▄▀               ▄▀ █
 █████████   █               ██████████    █
 █              █   █               █                █    █
 █              █  ▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  █                █  ▄▀
 █████████▀                  ██████████▀

Blockchain
Database
                             ▄▄▄
                         ▄▄▀  ▀▄▄
        ▄           ▄▄▀  ▄▀▄  ▀▄▄
      █▄█   █████████████████    █
        █     █                              █ ▄▀ ▌
        █     █        ▄    █   ▄         █▀ ▄▌
       ██    █      ▀▄   █    ▄▀       █▀█
       ▌ ▌   █            █                █  █
       ▌ ▌   █                              █  █
       ██    ███████████████████
                     ▀▀▄  ▀▄▀  ▄▀▀
                         ▀▀▄  ▄▀▀
                             ▀▀▀
Dev friendly
SDK Platform
                             ▄▄▄▄
                         ▄▄█    █▄▄
                     ▄▄█            █▄▄
                 ▄▄█       ▄▄▄       █▄▄
                 █       ▄▀      ▀▄       █
               █▀     █      █      █     ▀█
               ▀▀█  █   ▄█▀█▄   █  █▀▀
               █▀▀   █  ▀███▀  █   ▀▀█
               ▀▀█     █    █    █     █▀▀
                   ▀▀█   █  █  █   █▀▀
                       ▀████████▀
                           █▄▄▄▄█
                 █        █▄▄▄▄█      █
             ▄▀ █▄                   ▄█  ▀▄
            █   █▀▄         ▀      ▄▀█    █
           █   █  █  ▌      ▀   ▐  █  █    █
           █   █▄▀▄▌      ▀   ▐▄▀▄█    █
           █       █          ▀        █       █
        █▀▀▀▀▀▀█                █▀▀▀▀▀▀█
        ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀                ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
User-friendly
Token Creation
|
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Paditani

Activity: 11
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 18, 2018, 01:27:27 AM

It may be that Karna in the US bitcoin is considered a legitimate taxable asset and impacts the rules governing Internet access change, threatening net neutrality - a principle that allows everyone to use the Internet in the same way.
In the last few weeks in various US-based technology publishing, the news on the laws governing "Net Neutrality" (Internet neutrality) is being discussed. This reporting generally relates to the enactment of a law in the United States that will govern the Net Neutrality proposed by the Federal Communications Commission (FCC), the governing body of telecommunications administration in the United States.

why?

The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) lost the battle with Verizon earlier this year - and with it, the right to stop ISPs weakening other people's traffic is framing new rules to restore Neutrality Neutrality. However, these rules may allow ISPs and content providers to reduce transactions to make other people's traffic faster in payments and transactions. tabi can also be the point where Bitcoin & Cyptocurrency technology is strangled or even slowed, will adversely affect the future of speed and innovation of P2P technology and make this technology intolerable.
ATTN

Activity: 11
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 18, 2018, 03:46:33 AM

It seems possible that they could do that. I don't think the political will will arise unless Bitcoin poses a meaningful threat to the stability of government. So far, that isn't the case: they will continue to collect taxes on the trade of the asset and work on the interaction points to handle dishonesty and lack of reporting.

It might be different in a world where people can do the majority of their day-to-day transactions in Bitcoin, but still, remember that currently, Bitcoin is in no way anonymous, the transaction history is fully public and mostly tractable.
baradfo

Activity: 232
Merit: 105

View Profile
January 18, 2018, 03:52:58 AM

The speculation is pretty straightforward in my book. The federal government tries to pull strings and manages to identify Blockchain based business and slow down their networks, or worse, slam them shut altogether.
Despite US seeing Bitcoin as a legally taxable asset (classified as a property) they have from time to time tried to denounce us - the bitcoin community and also denounced blockchain as a useful tech solution.

Am I reading too much between the lines? Is this just a wild paranoid speculation? Is this Bitlicence V 2.0 ?

What would the more advanced users from the community say about this? Can the US government use Net Neutrality to halt the progress of Bitcoin in US? Can they identify blockchain based traffic and essentially slow them down?

OR

Could this be used for the betterment of the Bitcoin network? The whole premise is getting to "pay" ISP to upgrade our virtual sidewalks into stateside highways. Money has never been the problem in Crypto-world, so could we do that? Pay to speed up Blockchain based traffic?
If we did that, what significant difference would it make on the network?

So I'm not an advanced user, though I do have some experience with the US government red tape/regulations. The way I see it, according to your assertions, is yes the government could use this via the ISPs to throttle the BTC/crypto traffic. But if they do they could be liable to lawsuits. It would take a lot of data and a(or more) stubborn plaintiff along with a good lawyer to pull off a good case. I really don't see it happening that way truthfully. On the flip side this could also be used to help the traffic, possibly help stabilize the network in the US for the blockchain traffic. We would really have to see what the outcome is and pay attention to what people report in the US, especially the companies trying to start mining farms in the US.
legendster (OP)

Activity: 1778
Merit: 764

www.V.systems

View Profile
January 18, 2018, 05:51:31 AM

So I'm not an advanced user, though I do have some experience with the US government red tape/regulations. The way I see it, according to your assertions, is yes the government could use this via the ISPs to throttle the BTC/crypto traffic. But if they do they could be liable to lawsuits. It would take a lot of data and a(or more) stubborn plaintiff along with a good lawyer to pull off a good case. I really don't see it happening that way truthfully. On the flip side this could also be used to help the traffic, possibly help stabilize the network in the US for the blockchain traffic. We would really have to see what the outcome is and pay attention to what people report in the US, especially the companies trying to start mining farms in the US.

Then the question remains, how major would that impact be to the whole network? Assuming it takes a shit ton of money to redirect only Blockchain traffic to such 'information highways'; would it be worth it?

Could we possibly see a Bitcoin Backed ISP that only caters to crypto tech?

██████████        ████████████
     ██████████        ██████████
       ██████████        ████████
         ██████████        ██████
           ██████████        ████
             ██████████        ██
               ██████████
                 ██████████
                   ████████
                     ██████
                       ████
                        ██
|
     ▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█                 ▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█
 ▄▀                ▄▀█             ▄▀                ▄▀█
 ██████████    █             ██████████    █
 █                █                   █                █    █
 █                █     ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█                █    █
 █                █  ▄▀             █                █  ▄▀
 ██████████▀                 ██████████▀
     ▄▀ █  ▀▀▀▀█                   ▄▀ █ ▀▀▀▀▀▀█
 ▄▀             ▄▀█               ▄▀               ▄▀ █
 █████████   █               ██████████    █
 █              █  ▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  █                █  ▄▀
 █████████▀                  ██████████▀

Blockchain
Database
                             ▄▄▄
                         ▄▄▀  ▀▄▄
        ▄           ▄▄▀  ▄▀▄  ▀▄▄
      █▄█   █████████████████    █
        █     █                              █ ▄▀ ▌
        █     █        ▄    █   ▄         █▀ ▄▌
       ██    █      ▀▄   █    ▄▀       █▀█
       ▌ ▌   █            █                █  █
       ▌ ▌   █                              █  █
       ██    ███████████████████
                     ▀▀▄  ▀▄▀  ▄▀▀
                         ▀▀▄  ▄▀▀
                             ▀▀▀
Dev friendly
SDK Platform
                             ▄▄▄▄
                         ▄▄█    █▄▄
                     ▄▄█            █▄▄
                 ▄▄█       ▄▄▄       █▄▄
                 █       ▄▀      ▀▄       █
               █▀     █      █      █     ▀█
               ▀▀█  █   ▄█▀█▄   █  █▀▀
               █▀▀   █  ▀███▀  █   ▀▀█
               ▀▀█     █    █    █     █▀▀
                   ▀▀█   █  █  █   █▀▀
                       ▀████████▀
                           █▄▄▄▄█
                 █        █▄▄▄▄█      █
             ▄▀ █▄                   ▄█  ▀▄
            █   █▀▄         ▀      ▄▀█    █
           █   █  █  ▌      ▀   ▐  █  █    █
           █   █▄▀▄▌      ▀   ▐▄▀▄█    █
           █       █          ▀        █       █
        █▀▀▀▀▀▀█                █▀▀▀▀▀▀█
        ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀                ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
User-friendly
Token Creation
|
baradfo

Activity: 232
Merit: 105

View Profile
January 18, 2018, 05:26:23 PM

Then the question remains, how major would that impact be to the whole network? Assuming it takes a shit ton of money to redirect only Blockchain traffic to such 'information highways'; would it be worth it?

I could see a Bitcoin Backed ISP that caters to crypto tech specifically coming about in the US. I don't know if the ISPs that are out there are thinking of that yet and it is an interesting concept for an ISP to go that route. I would like to see that come around, might make things easier Cheesy
figmentofmyass
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1483

View Profile
January 19, 2018, 10:47:06 PM

i suppose it's possible. the government would have to pressure the ISPs, and the ISPs would have to comply. but i don't see this being particularly effective unless they simultaneously start throttling all VPN traffic. VPN traffic is easily identifiable, but it would hide the fact that your traffic is BTC-related.

i won't lie, i'm pretty worried about a crackdown on VPNs.

knowing bitcoiners, it seems almost probable. whether that's successful, i'm not sure. they'd probably be putting a target on their back for regulators. i sure wouldn't want to be involved. Smiley

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: