Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 09:08:12 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin-like network over bluetooth  (Read 1747 times)
jago25_98 (OP)

Activity: 900
Merit: 1000

Crypto Geek

View Profile WWW
January 14, 2011, 02:02:54 AM

Now we have Android on the way this could be much more feasible.

I think better to have a completely separate network this way than trying to shoe-horn Bitcoin into this. A completely new design. 

The main difference here being the intermittency of the network.

However, such a network would be as interesting as Bitcoin because it would be completely separate from Bitcoin. In fact, it would be usable in places where there is no internet... or phone system.

Have we heard of any attempts to make a cell/peer-to-peer/`mesh?` network over bluetooth like this?

The usefulness of such a network and the fact that this doesn't exist says a lot to me about how pervasive centralization is these days. Big opportunity to make changes here.

Bitcoiner since the early days. Crypto YouTube Channel: Trading Nomads | Analyst | News Reporter | Bitcoin Hodler | Support Freedom of Speech!
"Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks like Napster, but pure P2P networks like Gnutella and Tor seem to be holding their own." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
January 14, 2011, 02:25:09 AM

Like what?  I see no link or other references.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
em3rgentOrdr

Activity: 434
Merit: 251

youtube.com/ericfontainejazz now accepts bitcoin

View Profile WWW
January 14, 2011, 04:46:25 PM

Have we heard of any attempts to make a cell/peer-to-peer/`mesh?` network over bluetooth like this?

Won't work.  Bluetooth on cellphone is no more than ~10 feet.

"We will not find a solution to political problems in cryptography, but we can win a major battle in the arms race and gain a new territory of freedom for several years.

Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks, but pure P2P networks are holding their own."
MoonShadow
Legendary

View Profile
January 14, 2011, 07:40:12 PM

Dash7 networking would work well for a general Bitcoin/smartphone network, as well as a great many other similar needs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DASH7?bcsi-ac-D9CB9E926A16E88E=1C46D01300000006yq1QoTBqkADh4Dr3zHwUrkRw2W8BAAAABgAAAJVlXgCAUQEAAAAAAIYBAAA=

It has already been pointed out that 200kbs isn't fast enough for spreading a future full block (something that I would contest), but other methods of getting blocks are available to an Android based 'lightweight' client than just one digital radio.  If Dash7 radios become half as common as Bluetooth, such smartphones would be able to send text messages (modified Jabber)  even in a citywide blackout over great distances due to the natural propagation of 443 mhz combined with the ad-hoc meshing abilities of Dash7.  Bitcoin transactions could be spread far and wide, rapidly looking for a path to the Internet, using Dash7's "general broadcast message" mode.  Which would be heard by most Dash7 radios in a 2 klick radias of the sending smartphone, and be included into the transaction queue of every such smartphone that had a running Bitcoin client, to be further forwarded by those Bitcoin clients at every opprotunity.  Such a Dash7, or Dash7/NFC, smartphone owner need not have Internet access on their own phone in order to transact using Bitcoin in real time; but may need occasional access (via open WiFi hotspot perhaps) in order to keep their own blockchain up to date.  This means that said user would be able to spend coins that their blockchain already knows that they have at will, but not spend coins that were sent to them since the last time their client was able to update it's own blockchain.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

em3rgentOrdr

Activity: 434
Merit: 251

youtube.com/ericfontainejazz now accepts bitcoin

View Profile WWW
January 14, 2011, 11:58:24 PM

Dash7 networking would work well for a general Bitcoin/smartphone network, as well as a great many other similar needs.

Sounds interesting...

It has already been pointed out that 200kbs isn't fast enough for spreading a future full block (something that I would contest), but other methods of getting blocks are available to an Android based 'lightweight' client than just one digital radio.

Could you provide me a link to this discussion?  I am very much interested in the scalability limits and minimum hardware/bandwidth requirements for bitcoin to 'work'.  If there were some way to proove that a functioning bitcoin client needs {some minimum hardware requirements} to function, that would be useful...  Ultimately, I would like to see bitcoin clients running as embedded devices inside smartcards, cellphones, etc.

"We will not find a solution to political problems in cryptography, but we can win a major battle in the arms race and gain a new territory of freedom for several years.

Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks, but pure P2P networks are holding their own."
MoonShadow
Legendary

View Profile
January 15, 2011, 12:18:12 AM

Could you provide me a link to this discussion?  I am very much interested in the scalability limits and minimum hardware/bandwidth requirements for bitcoin to 'work'.  If there were some way to proove that a functioning bitcoin client needs {some minimum hardware requirements} to function, that would be useful...  Ultimately, I would like to see bitcoin clients running as embedded devices inside smartcards, cellphones, etc.

Just use this forum's search function and search for Dash7 or near-field communications.  I have written much on this particular subject here.  Otherwise just go to google and search for Dash7 and you should find all that you want to know.

As for the embedded devices and smartphones thing, it's coming.

spndr7
Legendary

Activity: 1020
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
January 30, 2011, 02:48:48 PM

I thought of this peer to peer mesh network over bluetooth .It will be feasible in a scenario such as a class room or a any crowded public place, 30-40 people sitting in close proximity within the range of bluetooth(~10 m).Like shared usage of other devices software and hardware services.The main problem is that of routing algorithms as the units are changing position constantly one may join the mesh or leave the mesh at any time.

This potential is yet to harnessed .   

stash

Activity: 173
Merit: 100

btcmy.net

View Profile WWW
July 31, 2013, 02:17:57 AM

I think bitcoin should have failsafe backup connection incase internet collapsed when big things happen such World War triggered. New protocol doesn't depend on current internet infrastructure like Dash7 or near-field communications should be consider to implement on bitcoin network.

Tehtarik Fund : 1KxyB3iauJzLvDnZuchekGkB2D7p4UMvuq
BTCitcoin : Mathematical Logic to Eliminate Human Greed
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: