Bitcoin Forum
October 18, 2017, 04:57:04 PM *
News: Latest stable version of Bitcoin Core: 0.15.0.1  [Torrent]. (New!)

Home   Help Search Donate Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: poclbm - Solo mining  (Read 2297 times)
mashimaro

Activity: 1

View Profile
July 11, 2011, 01:48:14 AM

I have the following script running

start /d"C:\Program Files (x86)\Bitcoin" bitcoin.exe -server"
start /d"C:\guiminer20110614\guiminer" poclbm.exe --user=FT --pass=wombat --device=0 --platform=0 -w 256 -f1
start /d"C:\guiminer20110614\guiminer" poclbm.exe --user=FT --pass=wombat --device=1 --platform=0 -w 256 -f1

With the following config file bitcoin.conf
rpcuser=FT
rpcpassword=wombat

I have been running this continuously for about 4 days not much seems to happen the Khash/s rate varies the connections go up and down. see below image.

I am a bit concerned it is actually doing anything
How can i tell if it is actually doing anything or progressing?
Approximately how long I need to wait to see it generate a block?

Hardware is a single ATI HD 6990 card.

http://www.viet-fresh.com/bitcoin_mining.JPG

Many thanks I am very new to this and I cant find the exact info on the web anywhere.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction. Advertise here.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
nmat

Activity: 602

View Profile
July 11, 2011, 02:08:15 AM

So you have around 680Mhash/second, right? You will probably find a block in 3 months or something... You should join a pool.

Here's a calculator: http://www.alloscomp.com/bitcoin/old_calculator.php You can check the current difficulty here: http://blockexplorer.com/q/getdifficulty
NickW

Activity: 27

View Profile
July 11, 2011, 02:21:52 AM

If your miners are showing a hash rate (like they are) then it is working fine.

You just have an extremely low chance of finding a block.

There is nothing to "see" until you find a valid block. There is no "progression" as each hash you try has the same probability as any other. So the chance of a hash finding a block right now is the exactly thesame as it finding one in a few days time. How many you've already calculated makes no difference to the future probability.

1DRCGzEkMhhzieEkDg3e8kUKt1mVM5uqNs
peps1c0la

Activity: 26

View Profile
July 11, 2011, 02:58:40 AM

So the previously mentioned 3 months is just a guess?  It is random? Like it could be "tomorrow" or "next December"?  I am sorry if it is an idiot question... I am trying to figure all this out myself...

I started out joining a pool about a week ago myself.  I have netted about a whole BitPenny so far... so, at the rate I am going, will have a whole BTC in about a year...

http://freebitco.in/?r=321105
nmat

View Profile
July 11, 2011, 03:10:41 AM

So the previously mentioned 3 months is just a guess?  It is random? Like it could be "tomorrow" or "next December"?  I am sorry if it is an idiot question... I am trying to figure all this out myself...

I started out joining a pool about a week ago myself.  I have netted about a whole BitPenny so far... so, at the rate I am going, will have a whole BTC in about a year...

It could be the next minute, the next month or the next season Wink It's kind of lottery. The 3 months is the average for his case. If you use the calculator link at my previous post, you can see the probability of finding a block. Just fill in the difficulty and your Mhash/s.

Pool mining is completely different. If you join a pool you will receive constant smaller payments at a good rate (depending on the options you chose).

Example for a really fast machine (2Ghash or something...):
- If you mine solo you will find a block (50 BTC) every 50 days on average
- If you join a pool you will receive 1 BTC every day on average (minus the pool fees)

You can also use this calculator to find out how many bitcoins you will earn on average with your current hardware: http://www.alloscomp.com/bitcoin/calculator.php
JoelKatz
Legendary

Activity: 1582

Democracy is vulnerable to a 51% attack.

View Profile WWW
July 11, 2011, 03:46:41 AM

So the previously mentioned 3 months is just a guess?  It is random? Like it could be "tomorrow" or "next December"?  I am sorry if it is an idiot question... I am trying to figure all this out myself...
It is random. Generating a block is like flipping 500 coins and having then all come up heads. Every attempt has an equal chance of success.

I started out joining a pool about a week ago myself.  I have netted about a whole BitPenny so far... so, at the rate I am going, will have a whole BTC in about a year...
That doesn't seem right. You should be making a bitcoin every three days or so. How quickly were you generating shares? Were your shares being rejected?

I am an employee of Ripple. Follow me on Twitter @JoelKatz
1Joe1Katzci1rFcsr9HH7SLuHVnDy2aihZ BM-NBM3FRExVJSJJamV9ccgyWvQfratUHgN
peps1c0la

View Profile
July 11, 2011, 06:21:14 AM

That doesn't seem right. You should be making a bitcoin every three days or so. How quickly were you generating shares? Were your shares being rejected?

I am using CPU because my GPU doesn't seem to support any of my attempts (on either of two computers).  I am generating at a pretty steady 3.0Mh/s with a 7 day average of about .0013 or so.

Perhaps I just don't have something set up right just yet... before going and asking a bunch of questions, trying to suck all the info I can find out of these forums.

Oh, yea, I have that sucker running 24/7 too.

nmat

View Profile
July 11, 2011, 06:36:24 AM

That is right then. CPU mining is sort of pointless now... What are your GPU models?
cryptomint

Activity: 61

View Profile
July 11, 2011, 06:48:39 AM

With that hash rate:

Solo mining = degen gambler
Pool mining = steady grinder

If you want to gamble and hope for the big pay day, keep soloing.

If you want to get a more steady flow of coins, go with a pool.
peps1c0la

View Profile
July 11, 2011, 06:52:06 AM

That is right then. CPU mining is sort of pointless now... What are your GPU models?

I have one with a NVIDIA GeForce 7150M/nforce 630M, and another with ATI Mobility Radeon X1300.

nmat

View Profile
July 11, 2011, 06:59:36 AM

I have one with a NVIDIA GeForce 7150M/nforce 630M, and another with ATI Mobility Radeon X1300.

None of them is supported I think. You can continue to mine with CPU but, money wise, it's not really worth it.

If you really want bitcoins you can just buy them though...
peps1c0la

View Profile
July 11, 2011, 07:19:07 AM

None of them is supported I think. You can continue to mine with CPU but, money wise, it's not really worth it.

If you really want bitcoins you can just buy them though...

I am working on buying... waiting for my dwolla exchange Smiley

Otherwise, racking my brain to figure out a way to earn em.  I am looking forward to the "new economy" and want to chip in what I can to get this thing off the ground.

Perhaps it is time for a new computer...  lol

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Sponsored by , a Bitcoin-accepting VPN.