Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 04:47:21 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Noise and Heat Levels with multiple systems  (Read 1343 times)
CYPER (OP)

Activity: 798
Merit: 502

View Profile
July 11, 2011, 03:47:51 AM

So currently I have a dedicated mining rig sitting in the corridor of my flat and being just 3.6m away from where I lay my head to sleep with one door in between.

1 - I'm curious what will be the subjective noise level increase if I add one more machine emitting the same level of noise? Will there be any difference at all?
2 - What about with 3 rigs in total? Will I notice a significant increase in noise levels compared to just 1 rig?

The weather in the UK is pretty good for mining even in the summer with daily temperatures being in the 20C region at the moment
3 - Would 3 rigs create much more heat compared to one? If there is some air flow created by opened windows at 2 ends and the air temps in the premises are 25C is it reasonable to expect 30+ with 3 rigs?

Thank you.
The Bitcoin network protocol was designed to be extremely flexible. It can be used to create timed transactions, escrow transactions, multi-signature transactions, etc. The current features of the client only hint at what will be possible in the future.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
NetTecture

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 11, 2011, 04:21:57 AM

Lets start wit hthe studff you should have learned in school:

> Would 3 rigs create much more heat compared to one?

Yes, like... THREE TIMES. See, if one rig uses 1000 watt then three rigs use 3000 watt and as tehy dont magically get more efficient, they also generate three times the heat Wink

And three times the noise.

The problem will be the heat - there is a limit what you can handle. I am right now settgin up three experimental rigs in my appartement, distribute in diferent places thanks to me currently not being there for some months Wink

While looking for a room to put some dozen servers. Like edecdicated - without having a special room you are limited. Power amounts go to levels not ok for normal house wiring, cooling gets bad, noise gets bad.
IlbiStarz

Activity: 336

View Profile
July 11, 2011, 05:01:10 AM

1. Yes it would get louder. If you have one person screaming, and then another person screams at the same volume, it gets louder, no?

3. The heat would probably be more than 3 times. More heat = harder to disperse. Unless they have a good amount of space between them, then that's fine.
cicada

Activity: 196

View Profile
July 11, 2011, 04:33:31 PM

Yes, yes, and yes, surprisingly so!

I've got 3 rigs in a basement closet, each with two cards. One rig was making it a little warm.  Adding the next two made it unbearably HOT.

I installed a vent to pull cool air in from an adjoining hallway, an 80CFM 6 sones bathroom fan in the ceiling venting directly outside (sharing the dryer exhaust vent), and it's still 95F (35C) in the closet on average.  That fan is audible throughout 2/3 of my house alone, not to mention the noise created by the array of fans cooling (hah!) all my cards.

It quickly becomes very difficult to deal with the heat.

My next step is directed ventilation, running a cool air duct directly to the GPUs, and the exhaust pulling heat off the backs of the cards.  It's going to be a real mess of sheet metal and aluminum tubing!

Plan for at least double the heat you think you might produce, and you might be ok.  Noise? You'll have to learn to deal with it, or spend a lot of time tweaking your fans / ventilation systems to be quieter.

Team Epic!

All your bitcoin are belong to 19mScWkZxACv215AN1wosNNQ54pCQi3iB7
CYPER (OP)

View Profile
July 11, 2011, 08:18:04 PM

Thanks for your replies.

It looks like I won't be building these as I don't have a place to put them apart from my flat, which will be very inconvenient Sad
m0w3r

Activity: 131

View Profile
July 12, 2011, 01:45:22 AM

earplugs are cheap, and they make some comfortable ones now days.  Just trying to be positive.
CYPER (OP)

View Profile
July 12, 2011, 01:57:29 AM

I got the same idea, but still it is an inconvenience which I'm not happy to tolerate. And that doesn't solve the problem with the heat in the corridor, which will most probably be unbearable.

Btw I have a big business centre building nearby with AC offices to let and I was thinking of getting one only if I can get free electricity which will be awesome. Might have a hard time convincing them the rigs won't use a lot  Grin
NetTecture

View Profile
July 12, 2011, 04:38:45 AM

I got the same idea, but still it is an inconvenience which I'm not happy to tolerate. And that doesn't solve the problem with the heat in the corridor, which will most probably be unbearable.

Btw I have a big business centre building nearby with AC offices to let and I was thinking of getting one only if I can get free electricity which will be awesome. Might have a hard time convincing them the rigs won't use a lot  Grin

STOP FREAKING DREAMING.

* If you get an appartement with free electricity the landlord will NOT upgrade fuses for you.
* And the air conditioning is NOT prepared for "unilimited amounts of heat" either.

It simply does not work - mining rigs are extreme density, not even normal data centers can handle them.
CYPER (OP)

View Profile
July 12, 2011, 05:30:12 PM

STOP FREAKING DREAMING.

* If you get an appartement with free electricity the landlord will NOT upgrade fuses for you.
* And the air conditioning is NOT prepared for "unilimited amounts of heat" either.

It simply does not work - mining rigs are extreme density, not even normal data centers can handle them.

1 - It's not an apartment and even if it was no fuses need to be upgraded. Here in the UK the standard socket is rated at 13Amps = 3100W and usually the circuits can handle at least 30Amps = 7200W and there is more than one circuit.
2 - Who said unlimited?
NetTecture

View Profile
July 12, 2011, 06:50:53 PM

Yes, but then ywith this amounts you run a business Wink Unlimited appartement private use? Mining at dimensions = breach of contract Wink
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: