Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 03:12:07 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: An alternative to tether?  (Read 491 times)
Daviant (OP)

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 18, 2018, 07:42:10 PM

Hi there! I am on my last year of my computer engineering degree and I have been thinking about creating a coin for my bachelor thesis.

My idea is to make something very similar to tether where every coin would always be redeemable for $1. Every coin would be backed by a dollar in a bank account which balance could be viewed by everyone 24/7.
In order to convert the coin to dollars users would have to send their coins to an address where coins would be destroyed.
I could charge 0.25% for every transaction which would be then distributed between the miners or not charge anything and process all the transactions on a personal server.

I currently do not have a lot of knowledge about cryptocurrencies and would appreciate your feedback. I was thinking of building it using the multichain platform since both the bitcoin and ethereum ecosystems would increases transaction costs.
cellard
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1252

View Profile
January 18, 2018, 07:48:01 PM

Hi there! I am on my last year of my computer engineering degree and I have been thinking about creating a coin for my bachelor thesis.

My idea is to make something very similar to tether where every coin would always be redeemable for $1. Every coin would be backed by a dollar in a bank account which balance could be viewed by everyone 24/7.
In order to convert the coin to dollars users would have to send their coins to an address where coins would be destroyed.
I could charge 0.25% for every transaction which would be then distributed between the miners or not charge anything and process all the transactions on a personal server.

I currently do not have a lot of knowledge about cryptocurrencies and would appreciate your feedback. I was thinking of building it using the multichain platform since both the bitcoin and ethereum ecosystems would increases transaction costs.

Someone needs to come up with tether alternatives to re-distribute the potential loss of a tether breakdown. If we have "many tethers" then if one collapses, it wouldn't be such of a big deal, but meanwhile, the tether risk keeps growing. And one could say, "who cares about tether, let it crash", but this is delusional, there will always be a demand of a virtual gateway for the dollar.

If you make a tether alternative, improve on the current tether problems, make the account holdings public etc, otherwise everyone will think it's another scam. Tether has been audited and this makes it's credibility very low. I understand how difficult it is to run such a service tho.

easynote

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
January 19, 2018, 03:15:03 AM

So far, the only thing that would be considered close to Tether would be to leave you fiat in an exchange and purchase Altcoins at the price you want.

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
.CryptoTalk.org.|.MAKE POSTS AND EARN BTC!.🏆
pinkflower

Activity: 868
Merit: 259

View Profile
January 19, 2018, 03:52:54 AM

If you dont have a lot of knowledge then you have no place in cryptocurrency development or starting your own platform. Maybe its better for you to contribute in the BTC codebase before thinking of starting your own cryptocurrency.

There are many developers who came here with a lot of ambition but have created failing projects that turned into scams.
Kryten12

Activity: 448
Merit: 15

TREEBLOCK

View Profile
January 19, 2018, 03:56:22 AM

Your question has just been answered there is a new coin just completed ICO "X8". Its job is identical to Tether except it will be a Euro based denomination and will be backed by a basket of 7 major currencies plus Gold. Should be available middle of this year.

TREEBLOCK.io   //   TOKEN GENERATING EVENT
▶▶▶▶▶▶▶▶▶▶   ICO is LIVE  》 JOIN NOW!   |■■■
Telegram    ●    LinkedIn    ●    Youtube    ●    Twitter
EvaGC

Activity: 476
Merit: 11

View Profile
February 03, 2018, 03:02:04 PM

GLOBCOIN? Their cryptocurrency is 100% asset-backed. Linked to a currency basket of 15 most imortant fiat coins and 5% gold.

Although the most interesting advantge for me is their multicurrency prepaid mastercard, successful in Europe since 2016. The plan is to include their cryptocurrency in the existing card!
yareklamator

Activity: 154
Merit: 10

Magic is real

View Profile
February 03, 2018, 04:39:57 PM

There is no doubt that Tether needs an alternative. But it's pretty hard to do. Tether is connected with crypto exchange, so it's easier for them to prove real dollars for confirming liquidity. But even in this case, Tether developers have a lot of questions. Do you want to develop a huge project on your own? One idea is not enough. You need people with experience.
Holla123

Activity: 504
Merit: 131

View Profile
February 03, 2018, 04:43:26 PM

There is no doubt that Tether needs an alternative. But it's pretty hard to do. Tether is connected with crypto exchange, so it's easier for them to prove real dollars for confirming liquidity. But even in this case, Tether developers have a lot of questions. Do you want to develop a huge project on your own? One idea is not enough. You need people with experience.

Well arguing like that why should one of the other big exchanges not be able to come up with something like that. Also it might be of interest for the exchanges that currently dont offer a payout into fiat to give people an option in a falling market. Still wondering how that will play out with Tether. Their reserve should be like 2 billion USD. As it is linked to Bitfinex who do 1 Billion turnover per day I cannot imagine any major problem here.
Nikhila

Activity: 66
Merit: 1

View Profile
February 03, 2018, 04:46:34 PM

Definitely I agree for the alternative to tether because people are badly in search of asset backed coins and to create such coins and platform you definitely would need large financial backing, infrastructure and legal background which is a hell lot of work and complicated
CryptoDemonElite

Activity: 238
Merit: 7

View Profile
February 03, 2018, 04:55:51 PM

There are a lot to learn in crytocurrency. If you interested in doing something similiar to tether, where are you going to get the money needed to back your coin. Tether is in billions. I not putting you down, but there are lots to learn when it comes to creating your coin. It not just only about the tech. You got to learn marketing, accounting, legal stuff, regulation, day trading, and the list goes on. You should focusing oncontributing to project, that will also look good on your college thesis.
randythered

Activity: 434
Merit: 103

View Profile
February 03, 2018, 05:22:24 PM

And why would anyone buy the coin in the first place? I don't think people would buy it in the first place to have it backed up by the dollars in an account, you would have to source these dollars somewhere else, at least that's my feeling of how this would work.

Eddyc

Activity: 1018
Merit: 391

View Profile
February 03, 2018, 06:03:42 PM
Last edit: February 03, 2018, 06:28:12 PM by Eddyc

Firstly, I would like to congratulate you on your commitment to studies, but as quoting above, there are many with great dreams and wonderful ideas and when faced with reality end up in failure. Do not give up on your goals, look for information in the technical support sessions and project developments perhaps may help.

Note* I write about projects that can do something for society. Now whether this will happen depends not on me, but on the project team. I'm just a writer... DYOR
bountyjunkie

Activity: 168
Merit: 10

WEICROWD.COM - ICO Tech, Funding & Exchange

View Profile WWW
February 03, 2018, 09:07:09 PM

Simply go ahead. To start with build an exchange first or you will have to tie up with one.

John Langut

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 03, 2018, 09:09:50 PM

Maybe it's because Tether is under scrutiny now, but I'm seeing more and more so called stablecoins. If you just look up that term you'll find a lot of information.

By the way I think 0.25% is an excessive transaction fee. Imagine how much $1 million worth of your stablecoin costs just to move it.
Balab01

Activity: 462
Merit: 12

B пoиcкe

View Profile
February 05, 2018, 08:10:41 AM

A coin that unites all the positive sides of bitcoin and Ethereum will definitely be something revolutionary, I do not have such deep knowledge in the crypt but I wish u good luck with your project!

*** Paбiв дo paю нe пycкaють! ***
superflecks

Activity: 8

View Profile
May 03, 2018, 08:57:42 PM

The bettet alternative that also benefits from enterprise grade performance could be also kUSD by http://Kowala.tech plus it is decentralized and mine-able.

That's my opinion at least to the tether USDT alternative.
SaarMast

Activity: 100
Merit: 12

View Profile
May 03, 2018, 08:59:45 PM

Fiat money is an alternative   Cheesy

P2PEPEnergy Trading Platform  ━━  Ann  ✕  Whitepaper           
                      Connecting Clean Energy Users!          
TelegramTwitter ✕  ━[ BUY TOKENS ]━
superflecks

View Profile
May 03, 2018, 09:04:14 PM

Please show me how you transfer $ fiat from 3rd world country to your client or vendor in Europe or US within 3 -8 seconds with barely to no fees?

rayk

Activity: 448
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
May 03, 2018, 09:09:16 PM

Please show me how you transfer $ fiat from 3rd world country to your client or vendor in Europe or US within 3 -8 seconds with barely to no fees?

It depends on which 3rd world country you live in, if a coin with very low fee and instant transaction is listed on a local exchange, you can buy it with $ and send it to europe or us. As it is local exchange you probably deposit your money with no fee through your bank account?
superflecks

View Profile
May 03, 2018, 09:15:36 PM

It depends on which 3rd world country you live in, if a coin with very low fee and instant transaction is listed on a local exchange, you can buy it with $ and send it to europe or us. As it is local exchange you probably deposit your money with no fee through your bank account?

Well, bank (if allows you) would take few days using Swift and will cost you a solid amount of fees in most cases. Using Western Union? Massive fees.

Crypto? If it's the right one, takes few seconds to wire anywhere in the world and fees are barely to none.

Can we agree ?
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: