Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 11:38:34 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How many bitcoin holders are there?  (Read 126 times)
calvinweight (OP)

Activity: 65
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
January 18, 2018, 11:58:24 PM

Someone asked me yesterday, "How many people in the world hold bitcoin". It's easy to count the number of addresses that hold bitcoin because of the blockchain, BUT obviously that doesn't indicate how many people actually own bitcoin. Does anyone have a good metric for this? I probably have 10 addresses with bitcoin on them, but I'm not sure if I'm average or not. Thanks in advance!

Edit: Grammar

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin mining is now a specialized and very risky industry, just like gold mining. Amateur miners are unlikely to make much money, and may even lose money. Bitcoin is much more than just mining, though!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Coin-Keeper

Activity: 758
Merit: 606

View Profile
January 19, 2018, 12:09:20 AM

Any answer here will be (at best) an "educated guess".  Clearly if you look only at accounts with >1 full bitcoin the number of accounts are not that many.  While it might sound harsh I don't really consider a "dust" account as a holder.  Many of the old timers broke their large accounts into multiple addresses just to avoid standing out and to be able to cash out a bunch into fiat, while at the same time not revealing they actually hold many tens of thousands of coins.  I haven't run a script lately but worldwide all addresses with >1 coin are surprisingly few.

BTC: 1PYSBbuKM3kW19xe9TXJQfq64rPhd8XorF
Staked and Verified: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=996318.msg17102755#msg17102755
Rappyboy

Activity: 58

View Profile
January 19, 2018, 12:19:00 AM

In this red sea you can know how much holders we havw by looking at the respective market caps. This correction is important to show the true value of these coins short term.
DBronze98

Activity: 403
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 19, 2018, 12:34:57 AM

Someone asked me yesterday, "How many people in the world hold bitcoin". It's easy to count the number of addresses that hold bitcoin because of the blockchain, BUT obviously that doesn't indicate how many people actually own bitcoin. Does anyone have a good metric for this? I probably have 10 addresses with bitcoin on them, but I'm not sure if I'm average or not. Thanks in advance!

If you use web wallets online or off wallet you can see that we can own multiple bitcoin addresses through our wallet. It is difficult to count the number of Bitcoin owners around the world.

sugihe

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 19, 2018, 12:38:22 AM

If you use web wallets online or off wallet you can see that we can own multiple bitcoin addresses through our wallet. It is difficult to count the number of Bitcoin owners around the world.

I dont think it is difficult but most near like impossible to count the people.
Each people sometime has more than 5 wallet or maybe more and that make us can not count how many people are here who hold bitcoin.
White32

Activity: 146
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 19, 2018, 10:38:40 AM

I think we cannot count the numbers of bitcoiner on how much there all in all, cause as far as i know  someone can make an address severally. It means each individual can have a lot of addresses so we cant really count the bitcoin users.

███ P2P CASH ▬ ███ ▍ SMART CONTRACT PLATFORMis the platform fully dedicated to ██████████ JOIN ██████████ ◥ international money transactions ▐ ◼ discordtwittertelegram
Beroximos

Activity: 96

View Profile
January 19, 2018, 10:44:45 AM

Count the exact number of BTC owners is impossible but I would like to know too this information.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: