Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 07:49:21 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Is there a Bitcoin Ticker for Android that uses BitcoinAverage instead of Gox?  (Read 1142 times)
ripper234 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1003

Ron Gross

View Profile WWW
August 20, 2013, 08:24:48 AM

http://bitcoinaverage.com/

All the tickers I found use Mt. Gox rate, which as we know does't really represent anything these days.

(Looking for a widget to put on my home screen)

Please do not pm me, use ron@bitcoin.org.il instead
Mastercoin Executive Director
Co-founder of the Israeli Bitcoin Association

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin mining is now a specialized and very risky industry, just like gold mining. Amateur miners are unlikely to make much money, and may even lose money. Bitcoin is much more than just mining, though!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
tspacepilot
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1076

I may write code in exchange for bitcoins.

View Profile
August 20, 2013, 02:18:37 PM

I'm interested in this too.

Also, last I looked I could only find BTC widgets for android.  I'd like to find one that tracked LiteCoin too.
daybyter
Legendary

Activity: 965
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 20, 2013, 07:49:45 PM

I could give you these sources:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=135392.0

Might be easy to adapt..

greenbtc

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 20, 2013, 07:51:27 PM

I'm interested in this too.

Also, last I looked I could only find BTC widgets for android.  I'd like to find one that tracked LiteCoin too.

There is, it's called Litecoin Widget.
tspacepilot
Legendary

View Profile
August 22, 2013, 08:28:17 PM

Interesting, of course I was thinking about a widget that tracked multiple currencies as a user configures.  Maybe I'll work on this next week.
pimpybra

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
November 10, 2013, 03:02:29 AM

All the tickers I found use Mt. Gox rate, which as we know does't really represent anything these days.

This is going back a little bit, but did you ever find an app to do this?   I've been working the past few days on developing new Android widgets, one for BitcoinAverage, one for CoinBase.  Once I get it 'ready' enough, I can let you know if you're interested.
ripper234 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1003

Ron Gross

View Profile WWW
November 10, 2013, 03:03:03 AM

This is going back a little bit, but did you ever find an app to do this?   I've been working the past few days on developing new Android widgets, one for BitcoinAverage, one for CoinBase.  Once I get it 'ready' enough, I can let you know if you're interested.

Sorry, didn't. Try asking on Stack Exchange.

Please do not pm me, use ron@bitcoin.org.il instead
Mastercoin Executive Director
Co-founder of the Israeli Bitcoin Association
pimpybra

View Profile WWW
November 10, 2013, 06:49:00 PM

I just completed my first version of ticker widgets that go against both BitcoinAverage as well as Coinbase.

It's now out there for free on the Play market: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.pimpybra.bitavg

If you do use it, please let me know if you have any problems/feedback!

I have a few enhancements planned for the future:
  • Different currencies besides USD for BitcoinAverage
  • Options to choose which BitcoinAverage you want (include or exclude MTGox)
  • Select how often to update (currently 5 minutes)
  • Potentially allow you to add how much BTC you have or wallet address to display how much it is worth
  • Green/Red text for rise/fall of prices, or at least an arrow?
  • Historical prices/charts?
  • Include widget for http://bitaverage.com/

I did discover one small bug this morning that the price updates to $0 if your network connection is spotty, should hopefully have that squashed today.
tspacepilot
Legendary

View Profile
November 10, 2013, 07:28:26 PM

Yes, I'd like to know if you make one.  I was thinking of makeing one for bitcoinaverage.com because I think it would be pretty easy, but I  never got around to it.
pimpybra

View Profile WWW
November 10, 2013, 07:30:05 PM

Yes, I'd like to know if you make one.  I was thinking of makeing one for bitcoinaverage.com because I think it would be pretty easy, but I  never got around to it.

Not sure if you saw my last post, since you posted after it, but it just went live early this morning on the Play market: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.pimpybra.bitavg
tspacepilot
Legendary

View Profile
November 10, 2013, 07:30:25 PM

I just completed my first version of ticker widgets that go against both BitcoinAverage as well as Coinbase.

It's now out there for free on the Play market: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.pimpybra.bitavg

If you do use it, please let me know if you have any problems/feedback!

I have a few enhancements planned for the future:
  • Different currencies besides USD for BitcoinAverage
  • Options to choose which BitcoinAverage you want (include or exclude MTGox)
  • Select how often to update (currently 5 minutes)
  • Potentially allow you to add how much BTC you have or wallet address to display how much it is worth
  • Green/Red text for rise/fall of prices, or at least an arrow?
  • Historical prices/charts?
  • Include widget for http://bitaverage.com/

I did discover one small bug this morning that the price updates to $0 if your network connection is spotty, should hopefully have that squashed today.

Awesome.  I may try it but to be honest I'm quite nervous about installing non-open source code on my android.  Do you publish your source?
pimpybra

View Profile WWW
November 10, 2013, 07:45:22 PM

Awesome.  I may try it but to be honest I'm quite nervous about installing non-open source code on my android.  Do you publish your source?

I haven't before, and last night I was debating about making it open source and putting it up on GitHub or something.  I'd have to check out if I have any private info in the source (I shouldn't), but then I also worry about other devs mocking me Wink   I've never used GitHub, so I'd have to spend some time figuring that out.  Maybe I could just .zip up the src and slap it up on www.pimpybra.com as an interim solution.

That being said, I've had another app in the android/play market for ~2 years now (SimpleLister) and that's had no issues/problems with it.  Plus, it only uses the internet/network permissions, so I'm not even sure what I'd be able to do if I wanted to do anything nefarious.
tspacepilot
Legendary

View Profile
November 10, 2013, 08:09:58 PM

I haven't before, and last night I was debating about making it open source and putting it up on GitHub or something.  I'd have to check out if I have any private info in the source (I shouldn't), but then I also worry about other devs mocking me Wink   I've never used GitHub, so I'd have to spend some time figuring that out.  Maybe I could just .zip up the src and slap it up on www.pimpybra.com as an interim solution.

That being said, I've had another app in the android/play market for ~2 years now (SimpleLister) and that's had no issues/problems with it.  Plus, it only uses the internet/network permissions, so I'm not even sure what I'd be able to do if I wanted to do anything nefarious.

Great, I recommend publishing the source somehow, even if it's only as a zip on your website.  That will make many people (like me) feel more comfortable and trustworthy about your work.   Thanks a lot!
pimpybra

View Profile WWW
November 11, 2013, 04:42:15 AM

Great, I recommend publishing the source somehow, even if it's only as a zip on your website.  That will make many people (like me) feel more comfortable and trustworthy about your work.   Thanks a lot!

I've made bug fixes to fix the no-network setting the price to $0, and v0.2 should be rolling out to the Play store in the next few hours.

I've also posted about my BitAvg release on my personal blog, which has a link near the bottom to the .src.zip I've released for v0.2.   Give it a download and look at my ugly code Smiley

Let me know if you have any questions or suggestions, thanks.
tspacepilot
Legendary

View Profile
November 12, 2013, 06:59:20 AM

I've made bug fixes to fix the no-network setting the price to $0, and v0.2 should be rolling out to the Play store in the next few hours.

I've also posted about my BitAvg release on my personal blog, which has a link near the bottom to the .src.zip I've released for v0.2.   Give it a download and look at my ugly code Smiley

Let me know if you have any questions or suggestions, thanks.

Thanks again, I'll check this out tomorrow (install on my droid).
bitspill
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1015

View Profile
December 04, 2013, 06:15:39 AM

This thread may be a few weeks old but....

Bitcoinium (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.veken0m.cavirtex)
supports several exchanges with home screen widgets including bitcoinaverage

{ BitSpill }
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: