Bitcoin Forum
May 24, 2024, 05:10:58 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: PPS va PPLNS and which pool for me?  (Read 649 times)
plunderisley (OP)

Activity: 13
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 20, 2013, 11:53:33 AM

I've been searching around a lot, but can't really find anything to give me the best answer for me.

I bought 2 USB block erupter (333MH/s) a week ago and been mining with triplemining. It seems that even though I've been mining for a week, with the current hashrate I'll make some 0.04 when the block is done and of course as the block isn't done my confirmed rewards is 0.

I bought another 10 of those USB block erupters (bulk package so quite cheap) and I also picked up a Raspberry Pi and some decent USB 10 port hubs (with USB fans as I see how hot these things get. Could probably use them to boil water) and plan to use the Pi as a miner and in addition as a media center. Got to make the most use of the Pi.

But now I'm a bit lost on what pool to go with. I should be pushing out some 4GH/s and am confronted with the issue of PPS vs PPLNS. Does anyone have any recommendations? I probably won't be making a lot so I don't want to get caught in all the transaction fees for withdrawing, pool fees, other fees and loose some 10% or more from my mining. I can attempt 24/7 mining (and plan to) but as with everything there is no guarantee that my internet won't go out or the Pi will crash or something.
ajw7989
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 20, 2013, 12:17:25 PM

I go with PPLNS or some variation of it based on the pool. PPS is good if you can not mine almost 24/7. I have 3 USB erupters and have mined on btcguild, slush's pool, and bitminter. BTCguild has a very high hash rate and finds blocks early but pay is low and transaction fees are high. I spent a majority of my time on slush's pool since the fee is 2% instead of 3%. I am now on bitminter and love it. The main reason is switched is namecoin merged mining. Its like a very small bonus but any bit helps when you are not mining with a lot of hash. They also only charge 1% fee.
PPS looks good however since they have a higher risk the fees are huge so for me this was a turnoff.
b!z
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1010

View Profile
August 20, 2013, 12:40:14 PM

PPLNS has better payouts from my experience mining.
plunderisley (OP)

View Profile
August 21, 2013, 09:22:05 AM

Any particular PPLNS pool? Should I just stay with triplemining?
monbux
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1029

View Profile WWW
August 21, 2013, 12:37:55 PM

I go with PPLNS or some variation of it based on the pool. PPS is good if you can not mine almost 24/7. I have 3 USB erupters and have mined on btcguild, slush's pool, and bitminter. BTCguild has a very high hash rate and finds blocks early but pay is low and transaction fees are high. I spent a majority of my time on slush's pool since the fee is 2% instead of 3%. I am now on bitminter and love it. The main reason is switched is namecoin merged mining. Its like a very small bonus but any bit helps when you are not mining with a lot of hash. They also only charge 1% fee.
PPS looks good however since they have a higher risk the fees are huge so for me this was a turnoff.

btcguild also has merged namecoin mining, but I like bitminter better too, because it gets a better hashrate for me Tongue
jarhed

Activity: 672
Merit: 254

View Profile
August 21, 2013, 01:05:33 PM

btcguild also has merged namecoin mining, but I like bitminter better too, because it gets a better hashrate for me Tongue

Bitminter is horrible. I haven't got pass their OpenID requirement and straight out refused to submit my time jumping through another monkey hoop.........what tha hell is wrong with registering a username and password like a normal site?..............this is almost DDos worthy......./rant

plunderisley, go with PPS. Everyone says PPLNS payment will even-out in the long run to make you feel better. I'm on PPLNS coz I let my ASIC rip full throttle.

EDIT: My views has nothing to do with Bitminter's actual pool.
plunderisley (OP)

View Profile
August 21, 2013, 03:49:54 PM

Bitminter is horrible. I haven't got pass their OpenID requirement and straight out refused to submit my time jumping through another monkey hoop.........what tha hell is wrong with registering a username and password like a normal site?..............this is almost DDos worthy......./rant

plunderisley, go with PPS. Everyone says PPLNS payment will even-out in the long run to make you feel better. I'm on PPLNS coz I let my ASIC rip full throttle.

EDIT: My views has nothing to do with Bitminter's actual pool.

any particular PPS pool?
Like I mentioned I should be a bit over 4GH/s
jarhed

Activity: 672
Merit: 254

View Profile
August 21, 2013, 05:43:14 PM

any particular PPS pool?
Like I mentioned I should be a bit over 4GH/s

Do a IP trace route to find the closest PPS pool to your location.
Check Blockchain.info for pools doing actual work(Relayed By).

Select particular PPS pool that fits your needs.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: